Pioneer Quilts

You’ve probably figured out by now that I’m a sucker for old quilts. I pretty much love everything about them – the fabrics, the designs, the artistry, and the work that went into them.  I think it’s that scrappy,  ‘make it do’ aspect that I love the most.  Creating something beautiful from the limited resources that were available is what inspires me most.
Anyway, I photographed a few that I came across over the summer months and realized that I’d never shared them and decided why not do so today. These first two photos were from the Beehive House in downtown Salt Lake City.

The other quilts come from This Is The Place State Park – kind of a Sturbridge Village type of place, recreating the early settlement of Salt Lake City. My kids love going there and we try to get there at least once each summer.

I like going because the Utah State Quilt Guild has a museum there with lots of antique quilts.  I didn’t get to look at everything this time, but I got to snap pictures of a few. (I was the lone adult with 6 kids in tow and stopping to look at old quilts was not high on their priority list.)
I think I would love a red bench like this in my kitchen too.

Also a train ride was involved. Something for everyone = successful outing.

Comments

Looks like an awesome place to visit. The quilts are wonderful, too. I saw a quilt this past weekend at a similar type of state park in Arkansas. It was made of remnants of civil war uniforms. Very cool.

Ohmygosh — how on earth did those pioneer babies survive? Those bars on that crib aren't up to code LOL! I LOVE antique quilts too — thanks for sharing some pretty ones!

Oh Amy. I am so drawn to these type of quilts and for the very same reason as you. I cant help wondering the story behind the creation. Was the plaid from a husband&#39;s work shirt? And maybe the calico from momma&#39;s apron? :0)<br />Thank you for sharing these beautiful quilts with us. :0)

What is it about iron beds that make everything look better?:)<br /><br />Yes….sometimes I think I am too overwhelmed by all the modern in fabrics now and forget the loviness in the simplicity of the past. But I think a lot of that is coming back with our love os solids and a lot more handquilting. I wish I were more patient!:)

I would love for my bedroom to look like that first picture! And the one with the dormitory style setup is too cute. Who wouldn&#39;t want all those quilts.

Thank you for sharing!! The scrappier the better, I always say! I absolutely love the photos from the Beehive House! Beautiful rooms!! I really like that red bench too!

This is so cool! I love anything antique! When we lived in NC we went to so many cool historical places, now that I am a quilter, I wish I had paid better attention to their bedding! I can not imagine hand stitching all that 😉

I love old quilts also. After my grandmother passed away we found tucked in the back of a closet a hand pieced quilt front that her grandmother had started but never finished. My mother took it and had a friend of the family finish it by hand. It is now displayed with pride in my mother&#39;s home waiting a time to be passed on to me. The old quilts seem to tell a story of their own and I think

I have 29 blocks that my grandmother and her mother and great aunties made after my grandfather died. She was 29 and a widow with 3 small children.<br />Any suggestions as to who or where to ask for help in putting it together?

I love to see old quilts, too, whether they are showstoppers, or utility quilts like the ones on the row of beds. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Oh, you know I&#39;m a sucker for vintage quilts too! These are lovely, and the simple pioneer decor really makes them the highlight of the room. Thanks for sharing!

Old quilts are what attracted me to quilting in the very beginning. I love modern designs but the old, traditional quilts will always be my favorites. Thanks for sharing your great pictures!<br /><br />Jennifer :)

I find inspiration in old quilts too. I like the one with the different color sashing (green &amp; pink) in the two directions–I may do that!

Great post.<br />Old quilts entice because we want to know their stories, and the wear on the fabrics sometimes makes me wonder too about the people that used them.

You mean the kids didn&#39;t want to admire the fine workmanship in the quilts? I just don&#39;t understand! LOL. Thankfully hte hubby and my kids would have been all wrapped up in the train while I got to drool over the quilts.

Love, love, love all the twin beds lined up with a different quilt on each one. SO charming. And of course I can&#39;t get enough of the vintage applique. Sigh!<br /><br />We tried to look at the quilts at the county fair this year and you&#39;d think I had asked them to walk on hot coals or something. Yeesh!<br /><br />~Angela~

I took that train ride last Thursday, it was fun. The Quilt Museum was closed :( I only got to see the Brigham Young Experimental Farm Home inside. The LDS Church Museum across from Temple Square had a great Quilt Exhibit too!

I came across you post on pinterest and new I recognized the buildings. =)<br />I used to work up and Mormon Handicraft when it was at This is the Place, and the quilt museum is awesome! It&#39;s been a few years since I&#39;ve been, I guess I better make time when they open back up next summer.