Pioneer Quilts

You’ve probably figured out by now that I’m a sucker for old quilts. I pretty much love everything about them – the fabrics, the designs, the artistry, and the work that went into them.  I think it’s that scrappy,  ‘make it do’ aspect that I love the most.  Creating something beautiful from the limited resources that were available is what inspires me most.
Anyway, I photographed a few that I came across over the summer months and realized that I’d never shared them and decided why not do so today. These first two photos were from the Beehive House in downtown Salt Lake City.

The other quilts come from This Is The Place State Park – kind of a Sturbridge Village type of place, recreating the early settlement of Salt Lake City. My kids love going there and we try to get there at least once each summer.

I like going because the Utah State Quilt Guild has a museum there with lots of antique quilts.  I didn’t get to look at everything this time, but I got to snap pictures of a few. (I was the lone adult with 6 kids in tow and stopping to look at old quilts was not high on their priority list.)
I think I would love a red bench like this in my kitchen too.

Also a train ride was involved. Something for everyone = successful outing.

November 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

amy, they are all so pretty and i love those bed frames. quilts make everything look prettier!

Archie the wonder dog
    November 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

What gorgeous quilts – I love the dormitory, the quilts make it look so cosy! Thanks for sharing!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts
    November 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I love the shots of the beds in a row! I have a fondness for old quilts too πŸ™‚

Crafty Newbie
    November 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm

How fun! Love the red bench, too!

Katy Cameron
    November 14, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Looks like a lovely place to visit :o)

Heather Kuhn Roelker
    November 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Looks like an awesome place to visit. The quilts are wonderful, too. I saw a quilt this past weekend at a similar type of state park in Arkansas. It was made of remnants of civil war uniforms. Very cool.

November 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Ohmygosh — how on earth did those pioneer babies survive? Those bars on that crib aren't up to code LOL! I LOVE antique quilts too — thanks for sharing some pretty ones!

November 14, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Great photos of pretty nice old quilts. If you only had a few hours in Salt Lake City to see quilts, is this where you'd go?

notes of sincerity
    November 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Oh Amy. I am so drawn to these type of quilts and for the very same reason as you. I cant help wondering the story behind the creation. Was the plaid from a husband&#39;s work shirt? And maybe the calico from momma&#39;s apron? :0)<br />Thank you for sharing these beautiful quilts with us. :0)

November 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm

What is it about iron beds that make everything look better?:)<br /><br />Yes….sometimes I think I am too overwhelmed by all the modern in fabrics now and forget the loviness in the simplicity of the past. But I think a lot of that is coming back with our love os solids and a lot more handquilting. I wish I were more patient!:)

November 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I would love for my bedroom to look like that first picture! And the one with the dormitory style setup is too cute. Who wouldn&#39;t want all those quilts.

November 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Beautiful quilts!

November 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Thank you for sharing!! The scrappier the better, I always say! I absolutely love the photos from the Beehive House! Beautiful rooms!! I really like that red bench too!

Kim @ SimplyChicatHome
    November 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm

This is so cool! I love anything antique! When we lived in NC we went to so many cool historical places, now that I am a quilter, I wish I had paid better attention to their bedding! I can not imagine hand stitching all that πŸ˜‰

Tales from the Ranch
    November 14, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I love old quilts also. After my grandmother passed away we found tucked in the back of a closet a hand pieced quilt front that her grandmother had started but never finished. My mother took it and had a friend of the family finish it by hand. It is now displayed with pride in my mother&#39;s home waiting a time to be passed on to me. The old quilts seem to tell a story of their own and I think

November 14, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I have 29 blocks that my grandmother and her mother and great aunties made after my grandfather died. She was 29 and a widow with 3 small children.<br />Any suggestions as to who or where to ask for help in putting it together?

November 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm

They are lovely. I too love old quilts. Just imagining the past quilters. I love simple patterns. Thank you for the pictures.

November 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I really love these quilts, very homey and cuddly! Thanks for sharing.<br />Patty/Az

November 14, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I love to see old quilts, too, whether they are showstoppers, or utility quilts like the ones on the row of beds. Thanks for sharing your pics!

November 15, 2011 at 7:42 am

que bonitas todas………‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘

November 15, 2011 at 7:53 am

Thanks for sharing! What lovely pictures.

Amy Gibson
    November 15, 2011 at 8:24 am

Oh, you know I&#39;m a sucker for vintage quilts too! These are lovely, and the simple pioneer decor really makes them the highlight of the room. Thanks for sharing!

em's scrapbag
    November 15, 2011 at 9:35 am

This is the place has so many wonderful quilts. You did a great job with your pictures.

November 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

Old quilts are what attracted me to quilting in the very beginning. I love modern designs but the old, traditional quilts will always be my favorites. Thanks for sharing your great pictures!<br /><br />Jennifer πŸ™‚

November 15, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I find inspiration in old quilts too. I like the one with the different color sashing (green &amp; pink) in the two directions–I may do that!

November 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Great post.<br />Old quilts entice because we want to know their stories, and the wear on the fabrics sometimes makes me wonder too about the people that used them.

Claire Jain
    November 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Great photos! I&#39;m a sucker for old quilts, too. Vintage or modern, you can&#39;t go wrong!

November 15, 2011 at 9:53 pm

You mean the kids didn&#39;t want to admire the fine workmanship in the quilts? I just don&#39;t understand! LOL. Thankfully hte hubby and my kids would have been all wrapped up in the train while I got to drool over the quilts.

Angela (Cottage Magpie)
    November 16, 2011 at 1:06 am

Love, love, love all the twin beds lined up with a different quilt on each one. SO charming. And of course I can&#39;t get enough of the vintage applique. Sigh!<br /><br />We tried to look at the quilts at the county fair this year and you&#39;d think I had asked them to walk on hot coals or something. Yeesh!<br /><br />~Angela~

Lynne (Lily's Quilts)
    November 16, 2011 at 3:20 am

Those old quilts practically make me want to cry and are how and why I got into quilting in the first place. Beautiful beautiful photos, very inspiring post.

November 16, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I love antique/vintage quilts- history in your hands. Thanks for sharing!!

November 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm

They are all special, but I really love the first applique one – w/matching pillow covers – devine combo.<br />So glad you shared!

November 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm

What a fun trip.

November 22, 2011 at 1:14 am

I took that train ride last Thursday, it was fun. The Quilt Museum was closed πŸ™ I only got to see the Brigham Young Experimental Farm Home inside. The LDS Church Museum across from Temple Square had a great Quilt Exhibit too!

Nanette Merrill
    November 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm

LOVE the vintage quilts. Beautiful.

Happier Than A Bird Quilts
    October 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I came across you post on pinterest and new I recognized the buildings. =)<br />I used to work up and Mormon Handicraft when it was at This is the Place, and the quilt museum is awesome! It&#39;s been a few years since I&#39;ve been, I guess I better make time when they open back up next summer.