Vintage Goodies

It’s been a while since I’ve shared some vintage treasures, so I decided that, since I have a few worth sharing, today would be a great day to do so.

This awesome pile is a gift from my friend, Leigh of LeedleDeedleQuilts.  She rescued this pile of old, pre-cut apple-core pieces and thought I would like them. (She thought correctly, I might add. She knows me well!)
I’ve never made an apple-core quilt, but these babies are screaming to be put together. We can’t let all that cutting, nor those killer fabrics go to waste, can we? Anyone out there who has made an apple core quilt have any great tips to share?

Leigh also rescued this vintage spider-web mini-quilt.  It’s small but it’s all put together and some hand quilting has been done.  I’m going to finish the quilting, bind it and hang it on the wall in my sewing room. I love it!

More vintage fabric goodness.
I always thought of Spider web quilts as fairly recent, so it was fun to see this one.  My guess is 1930’s from the fabrics, but could be later. Thanks again for these wonderful treasures, Leigh!

Finally, another happy find, this time while I was scouting some Halloween costumes.  I found this bowl at a thrift store and was imediately taken by the jade-like green color. It’s fantastic.  Looking at the bottom of the bowl I discovered it’s Pyrex!

It’s different than most pyrex I’ve seen as the interior of the bowl is not white – it’s clear. The bottom of the bowl is clear glass.  It’s got some wear and tear + the color makes me think it’s old, but I could be totally wrong – maybe it’s from Kmart 2 years ago. Anyone know anything about this piece?  Regardless, I’m totally smitten by the color. I don’t have anything like it and I’m happy just looking at it on my shelf. Which is really what matters when collecting ‘stuff’, right?

November 4, 2011 at 6:03 am

wow! what a great gift! i am seriously looking forward to seeing those apple cores come together!

Karen H
    November 4, 2011 at 6:09 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

The Tulip Patch
    November 4, 2011 at 6:33 am

vicki from spun sugar quilts as a post about doing apple cores. I am always hoping to score cute quilting wips like that at the thrift store. So far I have only found 80s stuff and double knit polyester. It WILL happen, and I'm gonna have fun accumulating other junk in the meantime.

November 4, 2011 at 6:36 am

I seriously need to get out there and do some hunting – these are fantastic finds!

November 4, 2011 at 6:37 am

I can't wait to see your apple core quilt. It's going to be so neat with those vintage lovelies.

November 4, 2011 at 6:42 am

I have the green Pyrex bowl too. It was the largest bowel of a set of three. The other two are yellow and green. I got them as a wedding gift 20 years ago, so I guess you could consider them old. I love the spider web quilt. What a great find.

November 4, 2011 at 7:03 am

I love that jadite color..I have a lot of Fireking that I treasure!<br /><br />The applecores are awesome…why don&#39;t you alternate them with ONE solid and it will look like a basket weave!:)

notes of sincerity
    November 4, 2011 at 7:29 am

What beautiful treasures you have there. Your little spider web will be precious hanging in your sewing room. I hope you will show us your progress on the apple cores. Gosh that is a lot of cutting out that some sweet lady did. :o) Such pretty fabrics! And your bowl is adorable! :o) Will keep my eye out for any vintage treasures out this way, for you.<br />Have a lovely weekend.<br />

Jamie Lee
    November 4, 2011 at 7:48 am

I saw an apple core tutorial on Vicki Eapen&#39;s Spun Sugar Quilts blog recently. Very pretty!

November 4, 2011 at 8:45 am

I&#39;m with TammyW–I think your bowl may be 20-25 years old. I bought a set of Pyrex bowls in that style, but in a different colorway, when I first set up housekeeping fresh out of college. (Where do the years go?!) Now my son is using them; they have held up well.<br />–Becky C.

November 4, 2011 at 9:02 am

http://suedaleydesigns.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/07/the-secret-society.html<br /><br />Try this site…Sue has a great way to do Apple Cores!<br />LOVE your fabrics…what a great friend!<br />P

November 4, 2011 at 9:03 am

I&#39;ve got a set of Pyrex nesting bowls like that. There are 3 bowls in the set (each a different color) &amp; I bought them about 17 years ago, when I first moved out on my own. They&#39;re still going strong!

November 4, 2011 at 9:33 am

oh my, those apple cores are simply delightful!! i LOVE them!! i&#39;ve been wanting to make an apple core pillow so just got some apple core paper pieces, and too funny, i just listed them in my shop last night.

November 4, 2011 at 10:07 am

You always have the most amazing vintage finds!<br /><br />One of my long-term WIP&#39;s is an apple core quilt. I tried and tried to machine piece them but I couldn&#39;t seem to master it with any consistency so I&#39;m hand piecing. It&#39;s my traveling project and I&#39;m actually kinda glad that I&#39;m hand-sewing this quilt.<br /><br />Jennifer 🙂

Modern Amish
    November 4, 2011 at 10:25 am

Love the vintage finds! And the pyrex bowl…lovely. If you want to know more about Pyrex visit Jeni at http://incolororder.blogspot.com . She knows it all. And her collection is so yummy. I love to collect Pyrex too.

Erin @ Invisible Girl
    November 4, 2011 at 10:29 am

LOVE that bowl!! So pretty! And good luck with the apple core quilt, I keep seeing them around and I think I need some more practice before I attempt one 🙂

November 4, 2011 at 10:39 am

Good friends + lucky finds= 🙂

November 4, 2011 at 10:54 am

How and where do you all find these great things to save? I&#39;d love to find some things like those. I can&#39;t wait to see what you end up doing with them. The curves? Not for me though.

Katy Cameron
    November 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Oh how cool, just love the fabrics in those apple cores, and what a cute spider&#39;s web. Love the milky colour of that bowl too, though no idea where it could have come from!

November 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm

You have some great treasures, I love the fabrics used on the apple cores, it will make a gorgeous quilt.

November 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Delicious fabrics! 1960s or 1970s?

November 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I have that bowl! And, I love it. I purchased mine as part of a set of three in 1992. The green bowl was the largest, there was a peach/nude coloured bowl for the middle size and the smallest is a honey colour. I use it all the time, for serving, mixing, whatever! Haven&#39;t used it for fabric though but your photo inspires me!

33 Stitches
    November 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I got that same bowl in a set when I got married 18 yrs ago. The three bowls nestle together yellow, orange and green. Is 18 yrs vintage?

Sandie ~call me crazy
    November 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Awesome treasures! I love the spider web. Have a happy weekend!

November 4, 2011 at 6:10 pm

oh, those are some amazing finds. that bowl makes me drool.

November 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I see you have the answer on your bowl. I have that set of three too — I thought I received it as a wedding gift 30+ years ago, but maybe I bought it about twenty years ago. So, sadly, not 40&#39;s/50&#39;s — more like 80&#39;s/90&#39;s. Love that fabric!

November 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm

How fun! What a great friend to give you those great treasures 😀 OK, I feel a trip to the antique row in a nearby town coming on!

November 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm

You have an eye for vintage, those colours are just lovely together of the bowl and the fabrics..and it should be a stimulating challenge to get that apple core quilt together. Thanks for sharing and I hope you find the info you are looking for..

November 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I love your apple cores! I just cut a set from some Kaffe Fassett charm squares and some shot cottons. I made a smaller core out of template plastic so I can mark 1/4&quot; seam allowances and hand-piece them. I&#39;ll have to see how it goes!<br />Lisa<br />Lalexander733 (at) gmail (dot) com

November 4, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Great finds!!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    November 5, 2011 at 8:13 am

Thanks for sharing your recent acquisitions Amy – very nice!

November 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

You&#39;re right, it doesn&#39;t matter what era the bowl is from as long as you like it! It&#39;s a great color… I&#39;m having a hard time digesting that 20 years ago is only 1991!

November 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Love this post. I have that bowl too. It is a bit different but I like most things Pyrex 🙂

November 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Love the apple cores…and that vintage pyrex is just wonderful, too!

November 5, 2011 at 10:54 pm

So fun! I can&#39;t wait to see your completed apple core project!!!

November 10, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I am so glad you love them! And I can&#39;t wait to see those apple cores put together too! Good luck 🙂

November 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm

awesome scores, amy! I love the look of those apple core pieces, such a gorgeous selection of prints. I&#39;ll bet you&#39;ll turn them into something fabulous! xo amy

Mandi @ make it dear
    November 21, 2011 at 7:11 pm

ooo this all fabulous!!

January 5, 2012 at 3:19 am

Amy, That same bowl in blue I got it as a wedding gift in 1987 it came in a set of three! I guess it is pretty old 25 years!! Wow! Now I feel ancient!