Christmas is practically here!

Christmas break has begun. And it’s been a little more lively than I’d hoped, but I was still able to squeeze in some basting and quilting yesterday. Hoping to get this one finished by tomorrow. What I should be doing with my sewing machine is making Jedi robes for Christmas presents. But I still need to actually procure the fabric and since I didn’t want to leave the house yesterday, the quilt took priority.  Hopefully I will have a minute to hit the fabric store today for some durable (and cheap) brown fabric, suitable for Jedi robes. And maybe I can pick up another roll of red pearl cotton and finish that Merry Christmas wool project while I’m there.

Yesterday we also tackled some Christmas baking, and gifts for neighbors.  I let the kids help me put together these Stove Top Potpourri kits from Calli at Make it Do. A quick, attractive gift. And it smells heavenly. I have some simmering right now.

Each year I like for my children to make something and write a note to thank their sunday school teachers/youth leaders at church.  I decided I wasn’t in the mood for the extended sugar cookie process like last year, but I still wanted something the kids could feel like they were contributing to. This is what we came up with and I thought I’d share – partly because you can learn from our trial and error – and because I think they made a good quick, last-minute Christmas cookie option.

Basically we used a quick Cake-mix-cookie recipe (like this one at Make and Takes) to make quick cookie dough.  Then we embellished with those Candy Cane Hershey Kisses (I promise Hershey has not paid me any money for these endorsements).

This was our first experimental batch where we put the kisses on the balls of dough (we used Chocolate Fudge cake mix, by the way) before we put them in the oven. As you can see – this did not turn out that well – at least in terms of attractive presentation – they were still delicious and we did not mind keeping them for ourselves.  M&M’s however worked just fine.

The next batch we tried we put the kisses on a minute or two after the cookies came out of the oven, but while the cookies were still warm. Perfect!  The kisses melted slightly and looked festive without weighing down the cookie. Attractive, delicious and really fast. A winning combination if you ask me.

JAQS Fabrics
Finally – FYI – JAQS Fabrics is closing and Q is selling her whole inventory for 20% off (orders of $15 and over) with the code JAQSFabricClose.  She has some lovely things (including pre-cut FQ’s). You may find just the right last minute present for yourself.
UPDATE:  JAQS is not closing (lucky us!) but the same sale applies through Jan 5, 2012

December 20, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Amy, I love your triangle quilt and can&#39;t wait to see it all finished! <br /><br />… those cookies aren&#39;t lookin&#39; all that bad either!

December 20, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Amy, I should be folding laundry right now, but had to take a few minutes to blog hop. I love your quilt and those cookies look delish. I am totally addicted to those candy cane hershey kisses! They&#39;re hard to find these days though.<br /><br />I hope you have a Merry Christmas!<br />Amber

December 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

your quilt is so fun!<br />I was at Hancock Fabrics today and there were two ladies there getting brown fabric for Jedi Robes πŸ™‚

December 20, 2011 at 8:50 pm

The quilt looks awesome…is this a present?<br /><br />Our kitchen smells good too…vegan Chocolate chips cookies and no bake Oatmeal Coco-nutters…yummers!:) <br /><br />The girl landed in Newark and just got off the train in Philly…one of her best buds picked her up and hubby will meet them half way tomorrow! I CAN&#39;T WAIT!:)<br />xo

December 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Merry Christmas!<br /><br />I made a Jedi Robe for Halloween and found that brown sweatshirt material was a great choice because it hung well and kept them warm. JoAnn&#39;s with a coupon worked great! I found this site most useful in figuring out how much fabric I needed. http://www.degraeve.com/jedirobe/<br /><br />It came out great! http://www.jonbarclay.com/2011/11/

Katy Cameron
    December 21, 2011 at 4:50 am

Good luck with the Jedi robes. I&#39;m taking a break from some embroidery right now, but I&#39;d better get back to it!<br /><br />Enjoy your day :o)

{northern cottage}
    December 21, 2011 at 7:00 am

I just wanted to pop by &amp; say hello and THANK YOU! I&#39;m just adoring yoru site and newly getting into sewing/quilting and getting all kinds of inspiration from you! Happy Winter!<br /><br />www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

Nanette Merrill
    December 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

really cute, I&#39;m so glad I have a moment to catch up with you

December 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Pretty Quilt! Yummy treats!

December 22, 2011 at 1:38 am

Love your quilt…glad you got some time to work on it! I always try to have something for me to work on at Christmas…just in case I get a few minutes here and there. Good luck with the Jedi costumes!

Lucy @ Charm About You
    December 22, 2011 at 3:14 am

The potpourri looks great, such a nice idea! Those cookies look yummy and so pretty for Christmas :)<br />Have a merry time and hope you got your hands on some fabric because I&#39;d love to see the Jedi costumes πŸ™‚

December 22, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Have a Merry Christmas !!

Kristy Sioux