Scotty ornaments & sewing with kids

Three years ago on Christmas Eve my adorable grandfather passed away.  He was 3 months shy of 100 years old so it wasn’t a sudden thing but it made it a poignant Christmas that year.  The same day that he passed away, my parent’s 16 year-old dog, Rosie, went missing.   We never saw her again. She was old and frail as well, so our assumption is that she passed away also.  Since that time other people have told us about dogs “going away” to die. I really like to think that she knew my grandpa had gone (they had a special affinity for each other) and that she went with him.
So when I saw the adorable scotty pattern at Allsorts, I thought it would be perfect to make a little scotty ornament to give to my family members on Christmas Eve in memory of that day that we last saw Rosie and Grandpa.  And I thought it would be a fun project to do with my girls.

The girls loved the idea but I was surprised as we started working on them how interested my little boys became. They insisted on helping.  At that moment, I will admit I wasn’t super enthusiastic about doing it with them too – mainly because I figured they would need more supervision and it would take a lot longer. But they were awesome – maybe slightly more careful and excited about it than the girls even. It was so much fun.  Good lesson for mom.

We used felted (washed and dried) wool-felt which is great to work with – very forgiving – and matching thread. The felt hides so many flaws.  I need to do more stuff like this with both my girls AND my boys.

Hope you are enjoying the week after Christmas. I think this is one of my favorite weeks of the year.  All the busy-ness of pre-Christmas preparations is through and it’s time to just play and relax with the family, but still enjoy the lights and the music and the movies and the FOOD. And to make it especially awesome – no barfy kids this week. Bonus!

Comments

You've really got me hooked on Allsorts. I have a son named Scott who we called Scotty as he was growing up. I'm always on the hunt for Scotty dogs.

Oh! Those sweet scottie ornaments and the story of your Grandfather and Rosie has given me a tear in my eye!<br />My oldest boy loves sewing with felt too :)

This was always my favorite week as a kid for all the reasons you mentioned, especially that the adults actually seemed to have time to sit down and do stuff with us kids. Enjoy it because while it seems that their childhood can be a trial, too soon they&#39;re grown and gone. <br /><br />I love your little scotty dogs. They&#39;ll be so cute on your tree.

What a sweet way to remember your grandpa and dog. We lost our dog last year right before Halloween, he was old but so loved… In his memory we planted a tree in my parents yard. Each year at Christmas time we decorate it for him and take a picture with the other dogs sitting next to it. It has become a wonderful way to remember our Buddy!

I love that you ended up doing this project with your boys too!! I can&#39;t wait to teach both of my kiddos (I&#39;ve got one of each) to sew (and cook too!). Who wouldn&#39;t fall in love with a person who can mend their own clothes and cook a three course meal? I couldn&#39;t resist it! Great job, mama!

These are a fantastic keepsake, for a dear memory.<br /><br />I love this week, too. Things {finally} move a little slower….so nice.<br /><br />Best in 2012 :)

Those are so very cute! I love that your boys wanted to help too! I may have to make some of those! Thanks for sharing a wonderful memory.<br /><br />Eight years ago, at Christmas-time my grandpa (my dad&#39;s dad) passed away. Just a few days later my grandma (my mom&#39;s mom) passed away. It makes for bitter-sweet memories of those who have gone before us.<br /><br />xo -E

oh goodness i have been gone way too long and missed way too much. i love these little scotty dogs and all the wonderful christmas quilts and goodies you made before the holiday.

I made one of these a couple of years ago for my Grandmother who was very proud of her Scottish heritage – she has recently passed away at the age of 90 years and 10 months. I need to make some more Scotties to help us remember her this time next year.

Awww, these are so sweet! I might have to craft one up for my sister. When she was 2, she walked over to our neighbor&#39;s house in only her underwear to play with their scotty dog. That&#39;s love.

I&#39;m a little behind the times with my comment here, but wanted you to know that the Scotty dogs are absolutely adorable. What fun you must have had.