Jedi Robes

Since I mentioned, prior to Christmas, that I needed to make Jedi Robes, a couple people asked me to share my thoughts and process.  I used this Jedi Robe tutorial and they were a snap!  Remembering the ease of the SuperHero cape experience, I made my robes out of fleece – no hemming or edge-turning at all. I found the fleece for $2 a yard. Nice. (Extra nice since I won’t worry for a second as these robes get trashed.) The first robe took maybe 30 min to put together, but I think I made the second in 15 minutes. Seriously, that easy.

To figure out the yardage, measure your kid (or grown-up) from the shoulder to the ground and double that measurement.  Add 12″ for the hood. I needed 2 3/4 yards for my 7-yr-old and 2 1/2 yards for the 5 yr-old.

The great thing about this pattern is by leaving off the hood, you could use the same method to make a Snuggie.  (Just put the robe on backward.) Think how popular you will  be with your kids.

It was a very Star Wars Christmas at our house. Not only new Light Sabers, robes and legos, but our super-awesome Aunt sent Star Wars pancake molds. Wow. Could life get anymore exciting? She got these from Williams-Sonoma.  I’m still pretty good at free-handing Alderaan, Deathstar, and Moon of Endor pancakes on my own.

SInce then I saw the Star Wars Craft Book on Vanessa’s blog.  Cracks me up, but I don’t know if I’m truly dedicated enough as a mother to make Washcloth Wampas. We’ll have to see.

Also for Christmas, basketball jersey of our other favorite inter-galactic hero: Jimmer.

Next time, I promise we will return to the quilt-y posts.

Thanks for your patience with this little sidetrack.

May the force be with you.

Layne Bushell
    January 4, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Loved the "digression"! Those robes are so fun! I tried to make BYU jammies for the kids. Wasn't as successful as I'd hoped…they were all a size too small, so we passed them down the line and the oldest still doesn't have his pair yet!! Maybe next year?

January 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Love the robes!When my girls were little they received mom-made Disney princess dresses for Christmas. So much fun!!!

January 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

They came out great!!

January 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Love the robes! Thanks so much for commenting on my post about the plus quilt I made for my son. You made my day! 🙂

Katy Cameron
    January 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Hee hee, I particularly love the pancakes!

Melissa {polkadot chair}
    January 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

My husband's been a die hard star wars fan since he saw the movie when he was 11! Our son's not a fan though…. I should totally make one of those robes for Jeff (my hubby) for halloween next year LOL!! Love the idea to make it out of fleece!!

Pat V.
    January 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Whoa! Who knew there was a "Jedi Robe Tutorial?" Very cool, thanks for sharing this!

January 4, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Love the robes! My oldest son has been asking for one, so thank you very much for sharing the link!

January 4, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I just showed your jedi robes to my 7 year old Star Wars obsessed son – they are now very high on my to sew list. In his words totally awesome!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co.
    January 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm

They are cute but I still think a quilted little number like we talked about at sewing summit is the ticket!

Betty Lou
    January 4, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I think you made two little Jedis very happy with their new robes.

January 4, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I love getting side-tracked by Star Wars! Continue! :)<br /><br />Love the robes — and we have those pancake molds but I can never get the pancakes to release from them! Need more practice, I must. 😉

January 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Great Jedi robes but I seriously LOVE that binding!! Smiles~Beth

January 4, 2012 at 8:58 pm

love it all 🙂

January 4, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Love that stripe… I have a bunch of it in a few colors and it truly goes with EVERYTHING! Also, it&#39;s good to have outside sewing projects, it makes us fabric nerds seem more well rounded 😉

January 4, 2012 at 11:19 pm

lol! I love all the posts! But I have to say that fabric looks yummy!

January 5, 2012 at 1:14 am

fun post!

notes of sincerity
    January 5, 2012 at 6:03 am

Your robes are just too cute Amy!! What fun having a Star Wars Christmas! It seems like yesterday we were doing the very same thing (minus the awesome Jedi robes). :o) Happy New Year. :o)

January 5, 2012 at 7:00 am

Love the Jedi robes. I have 2 boys also and it was a Star Wars Christmas too. It is fun to see them dress up and act out seens and make up their adventures.

January 5, 2012 at 7:25 am

Very cute! I don&#39;t need the force to tell me I&#39;ll probably be attempting this for my son in about 3 years. And well, I was Princess Leia for Halloween once (white robe and buns) 🙂

Lucy @ Charm About You
    January 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

and also with you!! The robes turned out brilliantly!! I actually can&#39;t wait until my son is old enough for Star Wars, he&#39;s seen a bit but Yoda freaked him out!!!

January 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

Oh man, those are awesome! My kids would LOVE them. I will definitely be checking out that tutorial as I see a few of those Jedi robes in our future. Thanks very much for sharing them.

January 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

The robes are very cool! My nephew asked me to knit him one &amp; its taking FOREVER. But he&#39;s worth it!

January 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm

we did Star Wars for New Years….my kids had never seen it before. love the jedi robes!

January 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I love it. My husband&#39;s aunt bought my daughter (23) the Star War&#39;s cookie cutter set last Christmas. She bought my son (26) a Darth Vadar pancake turner.<br />I wish I&#39;d thought of making Jedi robes when my kids were little, but there wasn&#39;t polar fleece in those days.

January 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm

So cute! And my husband&#39;s cousin is really Princess Leah! And his aunt is Debbie Reynolds!

January 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Love them! Looks like your boys do too.

January 6, 2012 at 5:58 am

Great robes! The homemade snuggies that I made for my kids for Christmas were a big hit and so quick to put together. I&#39;ll have to tell my son to put his on backwards and turn it into a Jedi robe!

The Cozy Pumpkin
    January 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

&quot;I&#39;m still pretty good at free-handing Alderaan, Deathstar, and Moon of Endor pancakes on my own.&quot;<br /><br />LOL!!! I almost woke my kids up from their naps and had to stifle my laughing! I&#39;m hoping my kids love Star Wars as much as I do and I have a few jedi robes in my future. :)<br /><br />-Amanda-

January 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

You are the coolest mom, ever! Wow! Such a fun collection of Christmas gifts.<br /><br />Also, I&#39;m amazed that you free-hand pancakes of any kind. Go you!<br /><br />xo -E