Another new project: Sarah Jane Family Tree

Well, I’ve done it again. Started another new project.  It seemed in December and January I did a really good job of finishing projects.  Hence a lot of posts with finished quilts, etc.  Lately it’s all been about starting something new. Sorry for so many posts of random piles of fabric or blocks.  Hopefully the pretty colors and fabric will distract you.

We’re going to have some good car time this weekend – which is also some of my favorite time to just sit and sew, guilt free.  So I needed to come up with a project to work on.  As I’ve been sorting and cleaning out my sewing stuff, I found this Sarah Jane Family Tree panel and decided this was it.  I fell in love with the panel again as I realized the children in the panel so perfectly represent my own kiddos. I’ve got an oldest brunette daughter, next a fair-haired sister, then two boys – one dark and the youngest a blondie. Seems this drawing was made just for us.

I put together one for Sarah Jane’s booth at Market last spring and she kindly gave me one to make for myself and it just got added to the never-ending ‘someday list’.  Well today is that day. I’m going to work on stitching the names while we drive.  I’m planning to make more of a pieced border for mine. So I went through my fabrics and picked out prints and colors that reminded me of my kids. Including some scraps and pieces of novelty prints that I’ve been hoarding saving for just the right project. Well, this is it. I’m excited to see it come together.

In my snatches of spare time I’ve been cutting 2 1/2″ squares to make a pieced border for the panel. While I was at it I just kept cutting more so I can use them for granny squares or for mini hexagons.  One can never be over-prepared when it comes to 2 1/2″ squares, it seems.

February 18, 2012 at 7:32 am

That will be adorable all done up. Car projects are the best. Have fun with it.

February 18, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh that is just darling! And that deer print is killing me. So sweet.

Katy Cameron
    February 18, 2012 at 7:52 am

Oh that's going to look fab, and how perfect for your family, looking forward to seeing it :o)

February 18, 2012 at 7:55 am

The fabrics are beautiful. Enjoy your car time.

Archie the wonder dog
    February 18, 2012 at 8:05 am

It's going to be wonderful!!

February 18, 2012 at 8:28 am

I absolutely love the stack of fabrics you are showing today! I am always inspired by the color combos you put together! Happy Stitching!

February 18, 2012 at 8:49 am

This will be lovely. The fabrics you chose look so cheery!

February 18, 2012 at 8:56 am

Oooh, looks like fun! I'm hoarding some of those family tree panels too — for the someday grandchildren LOL. I can't wait to see your project!

Melissa @ Happy Quilting
    February 18, 2012 at 9:02 am

That is going to be so beautiful!!! Love the soft colors!!

February 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

Love the panel and that pin wheel fabric!

February 18, 2012 at 11:45 am

Yep, you've convinced me. I'm getting one of those panels now! I love your stack of squares too! Such lovely colors. I'm excited to see this come together, I hope you will post about your progress on it! Have a good and safe trip!!

February 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Super cute! That&#39;s so funny that the panel &#39;kids&#39; match up with your own :)<br />I like the idea of pre-cutting a bunch of 2 1/2&quot; blocks. I&#39;ve made a bunch of charm squares and store them in see-through plastic containers. It&#39;s nice to be able to go to a container and have the size you need already pre-cut. I should do the same with smaller squares because cutting

notes of sincerity
    February 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Oh how cute Amy. :0) Dont you love when fabric has such a sentiment? <br />&quot;Fly A Kite&quot; has that same charm for me. Woody purchased two charm packs for me and<br />I cant wait to create some special with it. :0)<br />Have a wonderful weekend. Love Trish

February 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I&#39;ll have to check and see if my LQS is carrying it. They have the Playtime. I love Sarah Jane artwork on fabric.

February 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm

It will be a treasure! Love your colorful fabric choices.

February 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Ooh, I&#39;ve seen this panel and daydreamed about what I would do with it. I can&#39;t wait to see what you come up with.

February 19, 2012 at 3:01 am

It&#39;s going to be so beautiful!!!! Love the fabrics!!!

February 19, 2012 at 3:13 am

your panel is going to be adorable!!

Lucy @ Charm About You
    February 19, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Very cute!! Love the fabric pile πŸ™‚

February 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm

No doubt it will turn out beautifully! Looking forward to seeing it when your done. Hope you had a fun and safe trip. Smiles~Beth

February 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I can&#39;t wait to see it when it&#39;s finished. I have one of those panels I just haven&#39;t been able to decide what to do with yet…

February 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I have had about 25 hours of car time in the past two weeks traveling to from and around california and I never got myself put together before we left. So I listened to Creamie watch The Incredibles 100 times. And I feel like an idiot. Love all those fawn prints. And the bias plaid at the top. Lovely!

February 22, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I have this panel and the line of Sarah Jane. I can&#39;t wait to see what you&#39;ve done so I can copy you! Loves, Diane

A.J. Dub.
    February 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Aha! That is where you got the family tree fabric. πŸ™‚ I must have missed this post. Very cute!

Shari @For the Little Doll In Your Life
    February 25, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I&#39;m a big fan of Sarah Jane.

October 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Did you ever finish this? I&#39;m confused on mine – there seems to be only enough room on each side of the branch for one set of grandparents, not both. Curious to see how other people did theirs! <br /><br />I searched your blog for family tree but this was it.<br /><br />The fabrics look great!

amy smart
    October 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Hey Samantha, (don&#39;t have an email address for you so hoping you will see this here.)<br /><br />Yes, mine is still a work-in-progress. πŸ™‚ <br /><br />I put my name and my husband&#39;s name in the two boxes on the trunk, then our parents and grandparents names on the branches above. I embroidered my kids names next to the children around the trunk. Hope that helps!<br /><br />