Another new project: Sarah Jane Family Tree

Well, I’ve done it again. Started another new project.  It seemed in December and January I did a really good job of finishing projects.  Hence a lot of posts with finished quilts, etc.  Lately it’s all been about starting something new. Sorry for so many posts of random piles of fabric or blocks.  Hopefully the pretty colors and fabric will distract you.

We’re going to have some good car time this weekend – which is also some of my favorite time to just sit and sew, guilt free.  So I needed to come up with a project to work on.  As I’ve been sorting and cleaning out my sewing stuff, I found this Sarah Jane Family Tree panel and decided this was it.  I fell in love with the panel again as I realized the children in the panel so perfectly represent my own kiddos. I’ve got an oldest brunette daughter, next a fair-haired sister, then two boys – one dark and the youngest a blondie. Seems this drawing was made just for us.

I put together one for Sarah Jane’s booth at Market last spring and she kindly gave me one to make for myself and it just got added to the never-ending ‘someday list’.  Well today is that day. I’m going to work on stitching the names while we drive.  I’m planning to make more of a pieced border for mine. So I went through my fabrics and picked out prints and colors that reminded me of my kids. Including some scraps and pieces of novelty prints that I’ve been hoarding saving for just the right project. Well, this is it. I’m excited to see it come together.

In my snatches of spare time I’ve been cutting 2 1/2″ squares to make a pieced border for the panel. While I was at it I just kept cutting more so I can use them for granny squares or for mini hexagons.  One can never be over-prepared when it comes to 2 1/2″ squares, it seems.

Yep, you've convinced me. I'm getting one of those panels now! I love your stack of squares too! Such lovely colors. I'm excited to see this come together, I hope you will post about your progress on it! Have a good and safe trip!!

Super cute! That&#39;s so funny that the panel &#39;kids&#39; match up with your own :)<br />I like the idea of pre-cutting a bunch of 2 1/2&quot; blocks. I&#39;ve made a bunch of charm squares and store them in see-through plastic containers. It&#39;s nice to be able to go to a container and have the size you need already pre-cut. I should do the same with smaller squares because cutting

Oh how cute Amy. :0) Dont you love when fabric has such a sentiment? <br />&quot;Fly A Kite&quot; has that same charm for me. Woody purchased two charm packs for me and<br />I cant wait to create some special with it. :0)<br />Have a wonderful weekend. Love Trish

I have had about 25 hours of car time in the past two weeks traveling to from and around california and I never got myself put together before we left. So I listened to Creamie watch The Incredibles 100 times. And I feel like an idiot. Love all those fawn prints. And the bias plaid at the top. Lovely!

Did you ever finish this? I&#39;m confused on mine – there seems to be only enough room on each side of the branch for one set of grandparents, not both. Curious to see how other people did theirs! <br /><br />I searched your blog for family tree but this was it.<br /><br />The fabrics look great!

Hey Samantha, (don&#39;t have an email address for you so hoping you will see this here.)<br /><br />Yes, mine is still a work-in-progress. :) <br /><br />I put my name and my husband&#39;s name in the two boxes on the trunk, then our parents and grandparents names on the branches above. I embroidered my kids names next to the children around the trunk. Hope that helps!<br /><br />