Sewing Therapy Needed

Life has a way of feeling a bit full at the moment. One of those times in life when a lot of big things seem to hit all at once.  (I also think that the busy-ness of Valentine’s Day might have had something to do with my fatigue today. I keep reminding myself that one day I will miss the hoopla of Elementary School Valentines Day. One day.) I won’t bore you with the other details because I have a feeling you’ve got your own full plate, but lets just say that I needed a little bit of sewing therapy today.

It didn’t take much. Just a little time spent made a big difference.  It was my first time sewing in my new room.  I have my machine on a different desk in this room and it’s GREAT.  I have been sewing at a table mostly for the past few years and the height is probably pretty ergonomically not-good.  As we were getting ready to reshuffle I re-looked-at an old desk that I almost threw away.  It’s not the prettiest desk –  I bought it at an office surplus sale where I worked about 14 years ago for $10.  It’s got a big work surface and the height is lower.  Works very nicely.  Good job old desk.
I’ve got all my blocks put together for this quilt.  All from scraps. I’m just starting to assemble the rows.  Such a nice sunny quilt for blah, dreary February.
Whew. That felt good.  Now, back to everything else.

Michele
    February 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Awww, you will miss the hoopla, but you can always create (and control!) your own down the road. Enjoy those littles.

Sarah Craig
    February 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Great work! That's going to be a beautiful quilt! And I completely understand about the hoopla – I got sucked into reading to 18 four-year olds while the teachers got the party ready (I had just gone to pick up my granddaughter, and ended up staying for an hour!) But it was lots of fun!!

Sherri
    February 15, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Oh, I don't know if you will miss the hoopla…maybe like me you will rejoice for a few years first as I did yesterday while making Valentine's cookies for family and friends. I was sooo happy I didn't have to make several dozen extra to take to school parties!

Anita
    February 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm

So pretty!

Dree
    February 15, 2012 at 5:01 pm

This was my first year of no hoopla–with a 6th grade boy (talk about NO INTEREST in the Valentine balloons his school offered LOL) and a 3rd grade boy who had optional homemade valentines (and he opted to NOT), it was so quiet. 6th grader made brownies with red frosting for the family.<br /><br />I am enjoying the Valentine down-time I will have before older boy discovers girls. :/

LB3K
    February 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm

ooo! that looks so beautiful! can&#39;t wait to see it finished. glad you were able to get some therapy today. . .<br /><br />leisel

Katy Cameron
    February 15, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Yay for sewing therapy and getting to use your new room!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co.
    February 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I know EXACTLY what you mean. :)<br /><br />Glad you had some sewing therapy today to smooth it all out . . . even if just a little.

Jeanne W.
    February 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm

That quilt is coming along SO pretty! I wish i had your scraps to work with!!!

sandyb
    February 15, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Nothing like a little fabric, thread and the hum of a sewing machine to help things feel better:) So very pretty!!!

amanda
    February 15, 2012 at 5:45 pm

That really is a sunny quilt… like vitamin D for the eyeballs. πŸ™‚

Leslie
    February 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm

this is amazing. you have the prettiest scraps ever!!!

bethanndodd
    February 15, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I needed a little therapy today as well πŸ˜‰ LOVE the quilt…those beautiful colors make me happy. Smiles~Beth

Kristie
    February 15, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Oh, I am SO needing the same! I haven&#39;t worked on a quilt since (gasp!) Sewing Summit, believe it or not! Not sure what vortex all my time has gotten sucked into, but it seems there is always some fire to put out. I am really craving a quilting day. I am glad you got your fix and have Christened your new/old desk! This quilt looks like it will be a cheery beauty!

Sewing In CT
    February 15, 2012 at 7:13 pm

you have the loveliest scraps. I&#39;m not sure mine would look that nice.<br />I&#39;m glad you got your therapy. Toni

ktquilts
    February 15, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I so get it! I will pray for you!

Michele
    February 15, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Wow! I am loving what you have completed so far. I can&#39;t wait to see the finished quilt.

Thimbleanna
    February 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Take it from one who knows — you will definitely miss the hoopla. Hope you feel refreshed after working on that happy quilt — can&#39;t wait to see it all!

Lana
    February 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm

This is a real beauty! It made my dreary winter day brighter!

Kirsten Smith
    February 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This makes my heart happy too! I adore these bright sun-shiney colors. Its amazing what a few minutes parked at the machine can do for the soul. πŸ˜‰

Melissa @ Happy Quilting
    February 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I love that quilt!! So beautiful and happy!!

Nicole
    February 15, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Here&#39;s to sewing therapy! It always does the trick for me. Looks like it worked for you. That is one beautiful scrappy quilt!

Judy Blinkenberg
    February 15, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Nothing brightens a day like Amy Butler! I love her fabrics. Wonderful Quilt.

Nedra
    February 15, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I&#39;ve been out of the Elementary school loop of Valentines Day for some time now…and do I miss it? Nope! <br />I think sewing therapy sounds much more fun.

Stephanie H
    February 15, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Love it! The colors are perfect for the winter blahs! I&#39;ve been seeing some spring colors surfacing, it really makes me want to get in gear and sew something nice and cheerful too!

luciethehappyquilter
    February 16, 2012 at 12:21 am

That&#39;s going to be a beautiful quilt. I hope you share the finished result.

Kristen516
    February 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

Beautiful quilt…do I see some Amy Butler in there? I love love love Amy Butler. I love your pattern too!

chris
    February 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

For now I&#39;m doing decluttering therapy, and then I know some sewing will be required!

Claire Jain
    February 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

That&#39;s such a pretty one! The colors make me smile πŸ™‚

Becky
    February 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

I can certainly relate to needing some quilting therapy. It is February, after all…sigh. I am working on a scrap quilt too, even though I have no idea what I&#39;m going to do with it when it&#39;s done. Yours is so pretty!

Lucy @ Charm About You
    February 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm

It looks so pretty! Sorry about the blah, glad the sewing helped! Old desks are the best πŸ™‚

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    February 16, 2012 at 3:41 pm

That is some amazing therapy Amy! I love what you are doing with your scraps!

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts
    February 16, 2012 at 5:53 pm

That is looking lovely Amy! I love those pretty colors. πŸ™‚

Live a Colorful Life
    February 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Such pretty colors together. Sewing is GOOD therapy!

kc
    February 16, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I scored an old, not so pretty, but pretty functional wooden child&#39;s home desk at a yard sale, for $5 – this was even before we closed on our house! Hubby wanted to know what the heck I was gonna do with it! I&#39;ve been keeping my serger on that desk ever since we moved in, and boy, does it work GREAt! Never the hint of a wobble or vibration, and I don&#39;t even have the serger on a mat

goletagirlwendy
    February 17, 2012 at 6:59 am

Love the quilt, all those pretty colors. I think I need some sewing therapy myself. Have a great weekend.

Fabric Fanatic
    February 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Is it possible that you could direct me to where I could purchase the pattern for that quilt? If there is none, would you consider making one so that I could make that quilt?

Jennifer
    February 17, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Beautiful quilt! Are you willing to share some basic instructions on this quilt, it&#39;s soooo sweet and I badly need to do a bright scrap quilt like this one! Thanks :O)

Crafty Girls Workshop
    February 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I love those bright cheery colors, they are perfect for a dreary winter day.

Sachiko
    February 17, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I LOVE(scream)the quilt!! I can&#39;t believe you made this out of your scraps. I think I need to purposely make &quot;scraps&quot; to make this quilt!

Ashley K.
    February 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I love that you&#39;re a stay at home mom, your quilts are amazing! Any tips for beginner quilts?<br /><br />Ash<br />http://knowlesashleyart.blogspot.com/

Pamela
    February 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Amy, love the look of this and it is a great &quot;scrap&quot; idea. Sorting as I text!! Thank you

Amber
    March 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm

i love that quilt Amy! what a great pattern! i love how the scraps are broken up into different colors!<br /><br />amber