Eye Candy + Business items

Presenting my first Granny Square quilt block.
If you are new to the Granny Square mayhem in quilt-blog-land, go here to learn more.

And now that I’ve given you some eye candy, please bear with my while I discuss a few matters of business. I figured I would lump them all into one post. πŸ™‚

I’ve been happily playing with my sorted scraps, making improv blocks inspired by Oh Fransson’s Paintbox quilt. Wow- these puppies are so much fun!

I am teaching a How to Use Your Scraps class at American Quilting on Thursday, March 15 from 4:00-6:00. I am teaching with the wonderful Marilyn Yerkes.  We both have lots of ideas and inspiration for using your scraps.  If you’re local and want to come, you can sign-up for the class by calling 801-802-7841.

Next: Comments. I’ve received a few emails about not being able to leave comments on this blog and I always know there are 5 more people with the same problem for every 1 who emails me, so I wanted to address it here.

I turned off my word verification thingy when leaving a comment (which has become increasingly annoying in Blogger, hasn’t it?) As a result I received a ton of spam (most of which was gross) and I found I missed a lot of comments people left because Blogger lumped them in with the gross spam.

So I went to no more anonymous comments because it totally eliminated the spam. But at the same time I realize that makes it hard for a bunch of people to leave comments. I’m so sorry. I did find this info from Open ID where you can register for an Open ID account using a yahoo email address, etc, and be able to leave registered user comments.  I know my blog isn’t the only one with this setting so it may help other places too.

If you can’t leave a comment, but you have a question, feel free to contact me on my Facebook Page or email me directly at amy[at]diaryofaquilter[dot]com.  (Take out the words in [ ] and replace with the actual symbol.)

I hope that helps a little. If anyone has any other suggestions for Blogger settings that eliminate the spam and still allow people to register to comment, let me know!  I’m still trying to get used to all of Blogger’s new settings and doohickeys. I so appreciate each comment and I hate the thought of anyone feeling stymied.

Finally, a few shops have reached out to me about ordering hard copies of my patterns.  I currently do not have hard copies available yet, but if you are looking for a format where you can buy my patterns wholesale to sell  in your shop you may want to consider ordering them through Patterns Gone Digital
I recently licensed all my patterns to Patterns Gone Digital.  PGD distributes hard-copy mock-ups of patterns by multiple designers at wholesale to sell in retail settings.  Each pattern comes with a scratch-off code. After the ‘pattern’ is purchased from a store, the buyer uses that code to get the downloaded pdf pattern using their computer at home (or right in the shop).  PGD is committed to supporting brick and mortar stores and helping them increase sales. You can read more frequently asked questions here.  Also, if you are a designer, you may want to contact Patterns Gone Digital to help you distribute your patterns without all the printing, folding and coallating! Email them at support@patternsgonedigital.com.
All right. We did it.  Happy weekend.

March 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm

love your scrappy blocks….so beautiful!

March 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Nice Granny Square. I am so far behind on that but I just found my background fabric on Wed and had to work yesterday and today. Tomorrow I am going to the show in NJ. I&#39;d work on it tonight but my hand really hurts so no sewing is the order of business for me tonight.<br /><br />I love the colors in your scrap blocks. If I ever get caught up on the &quot;must do&quot; projects with deadlines

A.J. Dub.
    March 2, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Cute granny square block!<br />Bummer about the comments issue. <br /><br />What is the cost for the class you are teaching? My mom and sisters live in Utah county and love that shop. They might be interested in the class.

March 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I love these blocks!! So bright and happy!

March 2, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I&#39;m sorry you &#39;re getting Spammed. I have a No Annon on my Blog and I know that must keep some from commenting. I&#39;m sorry about that, but not enough to put the word verification up. You can have all comments moderated, but that means you have to publish them one by one. I did notice that the Blurred shape isn&#39;t on the Word Verification anymore. Love the granny Square blocks.

Katy Cameron
    March 2, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Love your blocks, looks like a fun class!<br /><br />I don&#39;t allow anonymous comments either, but I am at least avoiding spam (thankfully, I don&#39;t eat much meat… ;o) )

March 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Beautiful blocks. sorry you are getting spam. But agree that no anonymous comments is probably best…

The Tulip Patch
    March 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Such good info about patterns gone digital. Can you still sell your PDFs online through other vendors??? <br /><br />I have never allowed anonymous comments because of the spam and also to avoid people being nasty behind a computer screen. Be accountable for what you say and if that something is nice then give the person a chance to connect to thank you. Thankfully I&#39;ve never had an ugly

March 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I love your blocks. I started some granny squares too, they are so much fun!

vintage grey
    March 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I love your granny square! I need to make some of my own. πŸ™‚

Shari @For the Little Doll In Your Life
    March 2, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I really like your scrappy blocks. I&#39;m pinning them for inspiration.

Jennifer Monroy
    March 3, 2012 at 1:49 am

Love the scrappy blocks!

Jessie @ Messy Jesse
    March 3, 2012 at 2:59 am

such a gorgeous granny sqaure block! I love the colour combo, I&#39;ve made 7 so far – need to get the rest done! πŸ˜€ Thanks for the advice about the patterns to, that&#39;s really good to know. Jessie, xo

March 3, 2012 at 8:32 am

I agree it was frustrating at first trying to decipher the word codes but not I just put in my best guess and if I get it wrong it pops out another one that is generally easier to read. THANKS so MUCH!! for the tip about e-patterning!! I have been producing my few on my home computer and printer but that doesn&#39;t give me much exposure except to my local quilt shop. I will definitely being

Melissa, SoChick!
    March 3, 2012 at 9:35 am

Loving the blocks! The colors are great, such fun to use scraps. πŸ™‚ Also, great info on PGD, I hadn&#39;t heard of them before, glad you shared!

March 3, 2012 at 9:42 am

That pgd process sounds really cool – such a great way to sell patterns.<br /><br />I do the same thing, with no annon comments. I think I&#39;ve had perhaps two spam messages in the last year+ I hate the word verification thingy, so that&#39;s the next best thing to avoid a mess in the comments.

March 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

I have jumped on the Granny Squares bandwagon as well. They are just so fun! Loving your scrappy blocks!! Hope your weekend is fabulous!<br />Smiles~Beth

March 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I love your granny block! And I also have been wanting to do those kinds of log cabins! I think once I get my granny squares sewn up, that&#39;s what i&#39;ll do with the rest of my scraps.

Dana - Old Red Barn Co.
    March 3, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Thank you for the shout out Ms. Smart!

March 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Totally hear you on the spam. It is annoying, may. Have to follow your lead by eliminating anonymous……. πŸ™‚

March 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I just love these granny blocks. Thank you for sharing!!!:)

March 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Love your blocks–especially your improv log cabins.

Christine L
    March 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

Your Improv Blocks are WONDERFUL! I wish I had scraps so pretty πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing so much in your post… Will check out the pattern site TOO.<br /><br />I did the same thing with my Settings and removed Anonomyous users…and word verification. Not too bad, I also reminded everyone that Google mail is FREE.. πŸ™‚

notes of sincerity
    March 5, 2012 at 11:45 am

I love your block! :o) I can&#39;t wait to start making some of my own. :o)<br />I am having a little give a way on my blog, if you would like to drop by.

Nanette Merrill
    March 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm

So much info amy. First off love your blocks. The PDF thing is such a good idea. I rarely do hard copies of my patterns anymore. It just doesn&#39;t make sense. I haven&#39;t had anonymous commenter allowed for a long time now. I had 2 really strange things said to me, horrible really, so I long ago got rid of that. And I haven&#39;t had word verification for a long time. I don&#39;t get

March 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Beautiful Granny Square! My mother-in-law just gave me a bunch of fabric from her stash. Maybe I&#39;ll make Granny Squares for &quot;Granny&quot;! Thank you for the inspiration!