Quilting Retreat

This week I got away for some lovely sewing time at a quilting retreat hosted by American Quilting.  Good times. (Many thanks to those who made it possible – especially Grandma.) The two quilts above were made by talented quilter, Ann Lewis.

It was held at the lovely Zermatt resort in Midway Utah. You may remember I went for 24 hours last year where I got to meet my quilting idol, Sandy Klop
 Well, no Sandy this year, but still plenty of fun, entertaining people (shout out to you, D!) and this time I got to stay for two whole days!
There was still plenty of inspiration
 and quilt eye candy.
 And real candy.
I basically pigged out while I was there.
But I was also SO productive. I brought a bunch of works-in-progress. (Some of which were 4 years old. Seriously.) And I finished them! I will share them in future posts.  (Which was another bonus side-effect – lots of good future blog-post material.)
I even started a couple of new projects – including cutting up the pile of Dream On fabrics I’ve been hording saving carefully for a couple of years. I’m going to use this pattern with a green solid sashing.  It will give it such a different look. I’m excited to see how it turns out.
 In the process I added a lot of thread to my lint collection. Occupational hazard.
(Memo to self: bring a lint-roller next time. At least I was among understanding folks.)

Good to get away.  And the productivity was awesome. Sleep was minimal, but I’ll catch up on that later. I had to come home early for events at home, including the 5th-grade “Maturation Program” – I mean, who wants to miss that??

Jamie Lee
    March 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Wow that sounds like a real treat! Those quilts are beautiful. Maybe when my kids are older and/or I&#39;m done having kids I&#39;ll be able to go on a few retreats.<br /><br />I love Dream On. I have a layer cake and some yardage squirreled away myself:)

March 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Sounds like you had a great time! Can&#39;t wait to see the finishes and the new projects….

Katy Cameron
    March 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

You wear your projects so well… ;o) Looks like a fab retreat, and yay for knocking some of those WIPs off the list!

vintage grey
    March 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Sounds like you had a great time! I would love to go to a quilt retreat one day! I always look like that when I am sewing. My lint roller gets a lot of use!! Have a beautiful weekend! xo Heather

March 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm

What a fun retreat! You had me at gelato. : )

Melissa Corry
    March 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Nothing beets a good Maturation program. Glad you had a great time and got a lot done πŸ™‚

Sarah Craig
    March 30, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I always tell people that the lint on my clothes is the mark of my profession! Looks like you had a wonderful time on retreat…. πŸ˜‰

March 30, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Is there a pattern for the circle flower quilt somewhere? It is gorgeous!

March 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Wow — there are some gorgeous quilts there! Looks like you had a wonderful time — lint and all!

tubilinha tiacarminha
    March 30, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Que FIAPOS?Estes sΓ£o glΓ³rias do trabalho.Adorei o post,muito obrigada.Beijos.

Carol D.
    March 30, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Oh I love that pinwheel design at the top. How cute. Glad you had a productive and fun and tasty time.

March 31, 2012 at 12:04 am

Sounds like you had a fun and productive time! Good for you!

Sew Create It - Jane
    March 31, 2012 at 1:39 am

Sounds incredible restful and productive at the same time! I love the picture of your sweater…I often go like that on the school run and then have fellow moms trying to pick off the threads…LOL – it&#39;s an endless job!

March 31, 2012 at 8:31 am

Ha! Fun quilting, fun lint, and fun programs at home. The awesome full life of a quilting Mom. Love it!

March 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

I love going on a quilt retreat! I&#39;m in a great group of women and we got twice a year ~ to a place where the hostess feeds us! it&#39;s so nice to just focus on sewing and not worry about food, washing up or taking care of anyone. <br />Lots of pretty quilts were made, especially love the one that looks like an asterisk.

March 31, 2012 at 11:10 am

Retreats are just what us Mom&#39;s need to rejuvenate! Would love to have the pattern to the circle flower quilt with the black ends. Do you know if there is one? Thanks bzzybe@gmail.com

Elizabeth Dackson
    March 31, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Gosh, that sounds like a lot of fun! Glad to hear you had just a great time!

March 31, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I&#39;m also wondering about the pattern to the circular one. LOVE IT!! Do you know the pattern or manufacturer/designer? Thx.<br />Lroghair (at) aol (dot) com

March 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Always look forward to receiving your blog updates in my emails. Thanks for sharing the awesome photos, not only of the quilts but also the absolutely gorgeous places you visit and live in. I will probably never get back to America (there as a teenage visitor), so it is like armchair travel, Vicki from Australia xx

March 31, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Looks like loads of fun! I just love the lint, like I tell my hubby who always is laughing at me and my sweaters cause I look like that: &quot;I just come with strings attached&quot; πŸ˜‰

March 31, 2012 at 7:24 pm

It looks absolutely lovely. Can&#39;t wait to see all that you worked on!

April 1, 2012 at 12:52 am

Good grief, what on earth is a maturation programme?! It sounds a bit scary. Glad I&#39;m not the only one who carries lint like a fashion statement πŸ™‚

April 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Im so glad to see someone else has been hoarding their dream on fabric! until i read your post i forgot i have a pile in my cupboard – i can&#39;t wait to see your quilt finished – its inspired me to go pull mine out and see what i can make!

April 1, 2012 at 2:51 pm

It was such a fun retreat! You are very talented and it was fun seeing what you were working on!

Heidi ;)
    April 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Shop Girl
    April 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I am so glad you had some time to refill your cup! Shout out to all the Grandmas everywhere who recognize we all need a break once and a while. Amy M. Does a fantastic retreat. It is on my wish list one day.

April 15, 2012 at 4:22 am

Yes please…info on that flower quilt…LOVE it!!!

March 26, 2013 at 12:38 am

I love the star quilt and would very much like to know if one could get the pattern?

amy smart
      March 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm

So sorry. I did not make that quilt, so I&#39;m not sure what the pattern is or where it came from. Wish I was more helpful!

April 3, 2013 at 5:51 am