Want to do vs. Need to do

I’ve had a new quilt idea kicking around in my head for a while. Finally, I graphed it out and I’m so excited to try it!  I even started pulling the fabric for the project.  I had just got a new little (okay, not little) bundle from Fresh Squeezed Fabrics including a little bit of Flea Market, Pez, and some Lizzy House dots. I was liking the colors I saw and started pulling more from my stash.  Now I’m itching to start my new project.

Instead, I’m working on a purple fairy costume. It’s school play week here (Peter Pan.) I wish I could say I enjoyed making costumes.  Luckily for me, I realized that no one will be able to tell whether or not that little sparkly vest has nicely hemmed edges from the audience.  Raw edges it is! Saved myself a ton of sewing-sparkly-fabric-angst.

I so understand the want to vs need to struggle. The guilty part of me typically gives into the need to monster and sadly ignores the want to angel.

I love sewing all my things, but when I NEED to do it… it's not quite so fun. Like 42 zippered pouches. Fun to make in theory, but I just procrastinate. Ugh, why?!

Oh for sure, ditch the edging….it's not going in a machine and photos will be from a distance. Save your energy for that gorgeous bunch….that you'll be thinking about all through the performance! Hee Hee!

I have made bat wings out of something like that purple fabric, it was a bear to work with. I think it may look more authentic with the raw edge :)

I recently had to make 9 skirts for my grandbaby&#39;s Cinderella play LOL, thankfully it was not too hard to make poodle skirts. However, my quilt projetcs lay ther half started and now I cant get back into it ! LOL <br />Also since you mentioned those pink and blue blocks from the 80s , I have not been able to get that color scheme out of my head !!!

Life is full of those moments where it&#39;s easy to get caught up in details…isn&#39;t it nice that you don&#39;t HAVE to hem it?

Love your fabric choices!! Can&#39;t wait to see what you are making. One of my little guys had a play last night and needed a Zebra Fish costume. Luckily he wanted to make his own. :0) Your costume looks adorable!

I am in the process of working on 300 costumes for the local school district&#39;s spring musical. Our rule of thumb, it needs to look good for 4 shows, from 20 feet away. If the fabric doesn&#39;t fray, the edges don&#39;t get finished.

I feel your pain! I&#39;ve got a whole shelf-ful of &quot;want-to&quot; projects – but way too many &quot;need-to&quot;s to get to them! <br /><br />I need to know – is 4/1/12 ok for your guest post on my blog, or do you need a later date? Just let me know!

That&#39;s so funny. My daughter was just telling me she wants to work on a quilt so bad and she is spending this week helping her daughter&#39;s ballet teacher put together costumes for a recital. Oh, those fabrics look so pretty and tempting, especially when you know you have to do other things instead:)