Fabric + taxes + feeling dorky

I’m starting (another) new project, this time all solids.  I think this is my first all solids quilt and I’m excited. I’m using Konas: Aqua, Peacock, Snow and Corn Yellow. I promise to share an actual finished project later this week. (Finishing the binding tonight.)
Today I am going to a blogging conference called SNAP here in Utah.  I’m excited because I’ve watched how much work has gone into it and I’m sure it will be very cool, but at the same time, I’m feeling nervous. I always feel kind of like a dweeb at things like this – sometimes feels like the first day of Jr. High all over again. And the fact that I’m the one wearing braces adds to that lovely dorky-jr-high feeling. :[
But I know it’s good to get out of my comfort zone, and each time I’ve done something like this, I’ve met some really lovely people and been glad that I made myself go, even though I’d much rather stay home with my sewing machine and watch reruns of MASH and Downton Abbey.  Plus, I’m SO technically un-savvy, that it’s always good to learn something new in the realm of html or seo.

Finally, I laughed when we submitted our taxes this year.  I guess it’s official: according to the IRS I am a professional Quilter. I wonder what the accountant thought on that one – probably doesn’t see many of those. πŸ™‚ Got to do something to keep those accountants entertained during tax season.  What it should really say is “vacuumer-washer-chauffer-soccerfan-chef”, but I guess there wasn’t room.

April 19, 2012 at 11:47 am

I'm so interested to see your solid-color quilt! I've always wanted to try one, but haven't been brave enough yet. For some reason it seems harder to pick solid colors that would look great together in a quilt!

Katy Cameron
    April 19, 2012 at 11:59 am

Oooh, have a fun weekend! Lol at the occupation :oD

April 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I so understand what you're saying! I also feel out of place at events like that. I won't go unless I can take someone along. Misery loves company!

Live a Colorful Life
    April 19, 2012 at 12:11 pm

So in love with solids right now.

Melissa Corry
    April 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Have fun at your conference. Sounds like it will be super informative πŸ™‚ Oh, and I will see you on the 5th, I am officially making a trip of it πŸ™‚

Elizabeth Dackson
    April 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

LOL about your taxes, but I think you are going to have a lot of fun at the Snap conference! I hope you have a great time!! I love Kona Peacock, one of my favorite Konas, I can't wait to see what you're up to πŸ™‚

Sew Create It - Jane
    April 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I&#39;ve just started a solids quilt in Kona Ash, Rich Red and Delft Blue. You can see it and the quilts that others are working on in a flickr group that I started (we are trying to support each other :o)<br />http://www.flickr.com/groups/sewintosolids/

vintage grey
    April 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Have fun at the SNAP conference!! Sounds great!! xo Heather

April 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

It will be fun to see your new quilt made from solids. Well, you really ARE a professional quilter, so can&#39;t think of a better title to fill in as your profession.

April 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hey, if it means you can write off fabric, thread, batting and sewing machine maintenance, being a quilter by occupation is AWESOME.<br /><br />Have fun and remember that each and every one of us feels like a dork most of the time. πŸ™‚

Jane S.
    April 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Beautiful solids! I&#39;ll be looking forward to seeing that quilt. πŸ™‚

Lucy @ Charm About You
    April 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I love all solid quilts! Have fun and I totally get what you mean, I&#39;m already nervous about the FQ retreat in June and trying not to think about it. Silly really.<br />I long to be called a quilter, that&#39;s awesome!

April 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

This is my first tax season as a Quilter, and it&#39;s scarey, isn&#39;t is? And I did them myself, we don&#39;t use an accountant. So far, so good. But talk about being out of your comfort zone!<br /><br />I&#39;m also working on a (commission) quilt that is almost all Kona solids. They are great to work with, all starched up and spiffy.

A.J. Dub.
    April 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Have fun at SNAP! It will be fun hearing about it on the blogs. :)<br />I like your fabric colors. Those are some favorites of mine. My wedding colors were yellow and blue, though not that shade of blue.

April 19, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Enjoy the conference. I&#39;d rather sew and watch reruns of Mash too over many other things.<br /><br />And what would I put on my return if I made money from my sewing along with my normal work? I&#39;m an accountant already!

randi--i have to say
    April 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Best wishes at your conference!<br /><br />I LOVE that you are listed as a quilter for your profession! Fun!

Miz Magnificat
    April 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Quilting, MASH and Downton Abbey… does it get any better than that? πŸ˜€

April 20, 2012 at 9:07 am

Congratulations on becoming a professional quilter!!! I love the colors you&#39;ve chosen for your quilt. Am looking forward to seeing what you create.

April 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

It&#39;s so fun when unexpected things happen – like becoming a professional quilter in the eyes of the IRS πŸ™‚

Memories By Me
    April 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

LOL on our taxes I list my occupation as a Domestic Homefront Coordinator !! hehehe Have fun at SNAP… im so jealous.:-)Can&#39;t wait to hear about it all!!!!

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight
    April 22, 2012 at 11:04 am

I am so bummed… I just read this post and saw you were at SNAP and I had no idea! I would have loved to meet you! Bummer! Hope you had a great time:) love love love your blog!! xoxo

April 23, 2012 at 7:53 am

Hahaha — I love Quilter on the taxes! I&#39;ve always wanted to put Gopher, but it&#39;s never happened. Can&#39;t wait to see that new quilt!

April 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Love those colors. Can&#39;t wait to see what you do with them! On my tax form, I&#39;m &quot;Happy Homemaker.&quot;

April 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm