I-spy Baby Quilt

We had a new baby in our extended family which means time for a new baby quilt.
(Pattern available here.)

This new little guy has a big sister, so I thought I would send them an i-spy quilt to give big sister something to distract entertain her as well. (I am experienced with the reaction of older siblings to new babies. Distraction is a good thing.)

In keeping with my “no-more-hoarding” mentality that I mentioned in the Reunion quilt post, I even broke out the American Jane stash for the back and borders. I know. Shocking right? But you are so proud. I can feel it.  The ‘i-spy’ blocks (squares with the novelty prints) came from the i-spy charm packs in my etsy shop. (EDIT: They are sold out! So sorry.) The offset blocks are Essex linen/cotton blend. I love the contrasting texture. You can find it here.

Speaking of American Jane, a little doll quilt for big sister to take care of her own babies. The novelty blocks from this quilt are from a collection called Look and Learn and is a few years old. Again, part of the stash.

In other exciting news, I got my braces off! Yeehaw!! Even though I tried to tell myself the braces made my lips look full like Angelina Jolie’s, in reality it was more of a Jar Jar Binks look.  Yesterday I passed some chocolate covered cinnamon bears in the store and thought, sadly, “Those look good, but I can’t have them.” And then I realized, “YES I CAN!” So I bought a ton. Happy day.

April 28, 2012 at 9:43 am

braces off….congrats!!! i love these quilts. the i spy has such a simple sweet quality to it. and you can never go wrong with american jane anything.

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    April 28, 2012 at 10:07 am

Cute quilts…I have a doll quilt on the to do list and love what you did!

Kati from Kati's Quilting
    April 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

What a lucky baby to receive a quilt like that! And even luckier sister to get a present for her AND her doll! Your teeth look really nice, it was worth wearing the braces, wasn't it? πŸ™‚ Enjoy your cinnamon bears!

notes of sincerity
    April 28, 2012 at 10:11 am

Super cute Amy!! And yay for your beautiful smile and chocolate covered cinnamon bears!!

April 28, 2012 at 10:13 am

Adorable quilts, and great smile! Congrats on getting your braces off, looks like they were more than worth the trouble, pain and irritation!

Gingersnaps Quilts
    April 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

Beautiful quilts! Just FYI, wear your retainers!! I had braces in high school and did not wear them so now at 32 I am getting braces AGAIN!! If only I could go back… lol

vintage grey
    April 28, 2012 at 10:22 am

What a beautiful quilt!! Love all the fabrics!! You have a beautiful smile! Congrats!! πŸ˜‰ xo Heather

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain
    April 28, 2012 at 10:34 am

Congrats on you're braces! Those quilts are amazing-and it was great getting to meet you at snap!

April 28, 2012 at 12:33 pm

These are really cute, what a great idea for a doll quilt for the big sister too.

April 28, 2012 at 1:11 pm

These quilts look like the antique ones I have that my great-grandmother made, circa 1919. Good job (oh, i'm new to your followers) ~ Renae

Katy Cameron
    April 28, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Great idea to do matching quilts, hopefully it will distract big sis sufficiently! Enjoy your brace-free time and your chocolate covered cinnamon bears!

April 28, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Those quilts are stinkin' cute!!!!! Yippppeee for getting your braces off. Such a good feeling! Off to check out your Etsy shop!

April 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Beautiful quilts! I bought an eye spy charm pack from you probably two years ago and have been adding to it since. I didn't know what I was going to do with them because we were done having kids and I loved the charms too much to give to anyone else. But low and behold we are expecting again (don't you love surprises!?!) and I am going to use the charms for the baby's blanket. I

April 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Awwww….aren&#39;t you a sweet Auntie?!:) I would expect nothing less from you!!:)<br /><br />Hmmmm…your teeth do look lovely but I seriously can&#39;t remember them being crooked…you had and have a beautiful smile!:)

April 28, 2012 at 3:16 pm

The baby quilts turned out so cute! And LOVED that feeling when the braces no longer needed to be worn. Such a good reason to smile more!

April 28, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Happy New Smile! Beautiful!

Terri Morse
    April 28, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Congrats on going braceless! You look wonderful. Your new quilt is so cute. I&#39;m about 4 blocks away from having enough blocks for the rainbow quilt πŸ™‚ -Terri

April 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Congrats on getting your braces off! And the I-Spy quilt…love it! I got your blocks today…so amazing!!! Love them! Did you make it women&#39;s conference this week, too?!

April 28, 2012 at 6:57 pm

That&#39;s a great layout for an I-spy!

quilt happy
    April 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm

love those quilts

April 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Cute quilts! You are so right that big sis needs to have a quilt of her own and one for her dolls! And congrats on your new found freedom to eat whatever you want! Enjoy:)

April 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm

That lucky family of yours πŸ™‚ And no more braces, now that&#39;s cause for celebration!

Shop Girl
    April 28, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Congrats to you! I loved you with your braces. Don&#39;t your teeth feel all big and smooth now? A beautiful smile for a very beautiful person. Flash those pearly whites every chance you get!

Lucy @ Charm About You
    April 29, 2012 at 4:04 am

Gorgeous quilts! The doll one is adorable too, what fantastic prints! Have fun eating the bears πŸ™‚

April 29, 2012 at 5:14 am

Sweet, sweet quilts gonna be a Happy Mama and big sister when they open this gift!!

higglepea home ed
    April 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Your work is inspiring, love your blog and so have nominated you for the versatile Blogger award. x

Live a Colorful Life
    April 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Wow–big things happening in your life. First you break into your AJ stash (and I know how precious that is to you) AND you get braces off. Yeehaw indeed!

April 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I just love the quilts! How fun! Congrats on getting the braces off. I remember that feeling very well. Your smile looks great! See,it was worth it!

April 29, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Hooray for no more braces! I had mine from age 11 to 17…so not fun. The new quilts are such sweet gifts.

April 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Congrats on the new babe in the family and more importantly, here&#39;s to caramel apples being BACK on the menu! First thing I had was toffee. A lot of toffee. πŸ™‚

April 30, 2012 at 12:08 am

Oh happy day! The quilts are gorgeous and so are your chompers. Yay for no more braces! Now go have some popcorn and gum. And corn on the cob!

April 30, 2012 at 7:00 am

Yipee!!!! No more braces — you&#39;re such a cutie! Love that I Spy quilt too — those are the best kinds of quilts for kids!

April 30, 2012 at 7:29 am

You are beautiful. Love your little quilts too : )

Miss Maman
    April 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

I just discovered your blog and so glad I did! I&#39;m a beginner quilter – still working on my first for my daughter. Beautiful quilt! I have a feeling your blog will be a resource for me.

April 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm

What a great gift for baby and big sister πŸ™‚ I just started cutting some squares for an I Spy of our own…can&#39;t wait to get it all pieced together. Love your new smile! Smiles~Beth

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight
    April 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I am loving both of these quilts! I especially love the little dolly quilt. So darling! Your teeth look great! πŸ™‚ xoxo

April 30, 2012 at 4:39 pm

You are so dang cute, the quilts too!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny
    April 30, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yay for getting braces off πŸ™‚ And beautiful quilts, Amy. Especially like the doll quilt… too cute!

The Sewing Chick
    May 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Hey Amy, I really enjoy your sense of humor! The baby quilt is so cute and how sweet to make a dolly quilt for the big sister πŸ™‚

May 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm

HOLD THE PHONES.<br /><br />Chocolate covered cinnamon bears?<br /><br />*dies*

New projects, pulling fabric, and the Essentials - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    September 11, 2015 at 7:06 am

[…] also trying something new and instead of pairing the novelty fabrics with the Essex linen like I’ve done in the past, I’m using the Riley Blake Swiss Dot in black on cream. I love using the Riley Blake Swiss […]

I Spy Quilt | hate to love the split
    January 31, 2016 at 12:06 pm

[…] I wanted to make VioletΒ something so I started scouring Pinterest for quilt ideas. I found thisΒ I Spy QuiltΒ and knew that’s what I wanted to make.Β  Except, I don’t have a fancy quilting sewing […]