Scenery + quilts + time to sew

This past week has been Spring Break from school for my kids.  Since our family is on a bit of a National Park kick, we decided to hit another one this past week. (Did you know there are 5 National Parks in Utah? Well, there are.) This time we visited Capitol Reef National Park.  (Normally I would try not to bore you all with the minutia of a family trip, but I figured the scenery was unique enough, it might be mildly interesting. So indulge me.)

There is a lot of history ancient and less-ancient at Capitol Reef. It was my first time visiting this area. The Southern Utah landscape is pretty dramatic with the red rocks, etc. As a kid I wasn’t a fan – or it just seemed to be ‘same-old, same-old’ when we went south. I overheard an older gentleman at the visitor’s center mention that you finally start to appreciate scenery like this when you get old. I guess I officially qualify for that category now.

In the middle of the park are the remnants of a little town that was there for a century, named Fruita because of the orchards that thrived there. The orchards still exist.

One of the homes also still exists, the Gifford House, and is open as a small museum.
(Check out the blossoms on that tree!)
This house was used mostly in the first half of the 20th Century, and was set up as it would have looked during that period, including old quilts. (So of course, I whipped out my camera for those.)
A ‘swoon’-y/carpenter’s wheel block.
They had a shop with fresh pies and breads and preserves and salsa made from the fruit from the orchards.  Very vintage charming + delicious. A winning combination, if you ask me.
It was great to get away from the routines at home and see some new scenery in our own backyard.  Well, three hours away, but you know what I mean.  I didn’t bring a finished quilt for my husband to pose with on a precipice this time, but since no road trip is complete without a sewing project, I did manage some good hexie time in the car.

vintage grey
    April 14, 2012 at 9:41 am

I love those quilts!! So beautiful!! How fun would it be to have a lovely collections of vintage quilts to display!! Your hexies are sweet!! Have a blessed weekend! xo Heather

Debbie
    April 14, 2012 at 9:49 am

We love visiting National Parks too, so really enjoyed this! Do you have a passport you get stamped at each one?

Becky
    April 14, 2012 at 10:00 am

I love to see vacation pictures! It's a great way for me to travel for free! We actually went to that park on a whirl-wind trip through Utah and surrounding states when I was pregnant with our first son, well over a dozen years ago. We also saw Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Arches, and a few others on that trip (our last as "DINKS). I'm glad to see you got in a good quilt or 2 also! I

Anne Heidi
    April 14, 2012 at 10:01 am

Lovely pictures- the scenery is breathtaking!<br />Your hexagons are supercute, great to have a project you can work on in the car ๐Ÿ™‚

Sandra (Cherry Heart)
    April 14, 2012 at 10:38 am

Wonderful! Stunning scenery, lovely quilts and yummy sewing – all very interesting I&#39;d say!<br /><br />Sandra x

Becky
    April 14, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thank you for sharing your road trip with us! It looks like you had a really good time, and the scenery is really beautiful. Would love to get down that way soon, before it gets too hot. I have been working on some hexies off and on myself. Maybe I need another road trip to get them done ๐Ÿ™‚

iluvmybugs
    April 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

Enjoyed seeing your pictures! We&#39;ve been to all many times…and don&#39;t forget there are also 43 state parks in Utah….amazing scenery!!! TFS<br />~Terry~

Catherine
    April 14, 2012 at 11:54 am

what amazing scenery! And love the little museum and those quilts

Beverley
    April 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Amy, don&#39;t ever apologize for showing your beautiful country off. For those of us who may never get to see it, it is a lovely way of travelling. That goes for all bloggers/quilters. We seem to have similar interests. The colours are superb. Thanks for your lovely blog. <br />Bev in Britain.

Ina
    April 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

lol, i wouldn&#39;t want my husband OR a quilt near any cliffs. I&#39;m too attached to both! ;p<br /><br />We went on a day hiking trip in Utah and loved it! My favorite was Bryce Canyon. My husband&#39;s favorite was Mt. Zion. Loved it!

Katy Cameron
    April 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Oh man, I&#39;m going on a tour of those parks after Sewing Summit just to see that scener, I must be old, and I never thought early 30&#39;s was old… *sob*

Kati from Kati's Quilting
    April 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I love your vacation photos! Last summer we took a cross country trip and one of our destinations were Salt Lake City and Bryce Canyon. I have to say that I don&#39;t consider myself old (40), but just could not take my eyes off the red rocks ๐Ÿ™‚ Should I say I love orange? ๐Ÿ™‚ Love your hexies! ๐Ÿ™‚

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~
    April 14, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I love those pretty quilts!!! Lovely pics, hope you have a wonderful weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

Sheila
    April 14, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Your pictures of Utah are awesome! I love Utah!

Modern Amish
    April 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Just a wee bit jealous:D

Michelle
    April 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Now I&#39;m wondering how we missed that little museum the last time we drove through there — and wanting to go back and get a look at the quilts!

Debby
    April 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Oh the quilts are so pretty!!! Would love the patterns!!

Barb - The Empty Nest Mom
    April 14, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I&#39;ve always loved southern Utah red rocks and amazing canyons – even when I was a kid. Loved your photos of the little homestead. And your little hexis? Great project for the road. I blog about quilting at http://www.bring the monkey.com but can&#39;t seem to get into here using that. Oh well – still enjoy it here.

Donna S.
    April 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I love to &quot;travel&quot; through the blogs I read!! Thank you for the pictures.

Peg
    April 14, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I agree with my fellow Brit, Bev, I would love to tour America, visiting Montana, Virgina, Utah and Colorado (sp?)<br /><br />I love the wide open spaces, travelling for 2 hrs to and from our holiday home tires me out so actually visiting isn&#39;t on the books for me. I can however visit via the beautiful photos fellow bloggers post.<br /><br />We live just on the edge of The Peak District, it

sandyb
    April 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Oh my, the scenery is just beautiful! I must say though the quilts and the fresh pies – my oh my I want to be there. Thank you for taking us along – I can smell the pies and feel the quilts. yummy!!!

Crafts4others
    April 14, 2012 at 8:30 pm

love the pictures of the scenery. love the quilting &amp; all of the photos from inside the museum. great job on your hexies, love them.

Thimbleanna
    April 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures Amy! I love Utah&#39;s parks. Sadly, I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever been to Capitol Reef. Bryce has been my favorite since I was a little girl. You&#39;re so lucky to have such beauty so close to you! (Love your cute little hexies!)

Kristie
    April 14, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Looks like a wonderful getaway ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly
    April 15, 2012 at 8:58 am

Stunning! Me, I&#39;m a Rocky Mountain girl, so scenery like that is all new to me! And what a find that little museum was… sounds like a great time!

Dayna at Precut Paradise
    April 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I&#39;m a Colorado girl! There&#39;s nothing like the Rocky Mountains!

readwritesew
    April 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Gorgeous photographs! And cute hexies – love your blog. It&#39;s always so inspiring! ๐Ÿ™‚

A.J. Dub.
    April 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Beautiful! One of these days I need to post pics of the quilts I saw at the Cove Fort Museum.

Kristina
    April 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm

My husband and I visited Capitol Reef in 2008. The southwest US is gorgeous!

Dora, the Quilter
    April 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this house–loved it as much as the other scenery!

colourdujour
    April 16, 2012 at 10:32 pm

and I am a Northern Cascade Range girl, doing the snowbird thing in the winter, and looking for new places to see. We&#39;re putting this one on our list. Thanks for the tour. if you have more ideas for travel, leave a comment on my, um, inactive blog.

colourdujour
    April 16, 2012 at 10:32 pm

colourdujour
    April 16, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I meant to say the photos are stunning and I loved the aprons in the home.

Nanette Merrill
    April 17, 2012 at 9:37 am

Of course the quilts and those aprons had me gobsmacked.

Kristen
    April 17, 2012 at 11:02 am

Love the pics. Interesting to see some quilt history. We enjoy hiking too. I really want to check that park out! Those hexies look like they are having fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jen O
    April 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

If you happened to drive through the town of Loa, that&#39;s where my parents live! I love Capitol Reef. My grandparents lived there in the house that is now my parents&#39;, and we spent summers there and drove to Fruita to pick apricots and peaches. Glad you got to experience it too!

Michele
    April 18, 2012 at 4:35 am

Wow! That place looks absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing.

bhafer
    April 18, 2012 at 11:42 am

I love your photos of Utah. We are going to Utah this summer and we decided that after we saw your Bryce pictures last year. can&#39;t wait looks beautiful! Thanks for all kinds of inspiration!

Kim
    April 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Your holiday looks wonderful! We&#39;re bringing the kids over to the US for the first time in October, only Florida (Harry Potter!) but our plan is that if the driving isn&#39;t too radically different from the UK (or scary)we&#39;ll come back the year after and do some touring. There&#39;s so many places I&#39;d want to see, though don&#39;t know where I&#39;d start!