My wee contribution to a new fabric collection!!

This past Saturday I got such a fun surprise in my mailbox. A whole bundle of Sandy Klop’s newest fabric collection for Moda, School Days. As is always the case, it is even better in real life than in all the pictures and previews.  (I think it was good karma for cutting into my Sandy stash for the I-spy quilt, don’t you?)

If you’ve been around these parts for a while, then you know that I am a HUGE Sandy Klop (aka American Jane) fan.  I have lost count of how many quilts I’ve made with her fabric collections.  Well, last winter I had the chance to meet her in real life when Amy McClellan invited her to teach at the American Quilting retreat. I tried really hard not to act like a 14-yr-old girl who got to meet Justin Bieber, but that’s kind of how I felt inside.  And Sandy did not disappoint. She was so real and genuine and fun. And her trunk show was out of this world.

Then, two months later, Sandy came back to Utah for International Quilt Market that was held in Salt Lake City last May.  And, being a groupie, I wanted to take Sandy a little token of my admiration.  A year or so earlier I had found this piece of vintage yardage at a thrift store and I loved it immediately because a) it was vintage and b) because it looked so Sandy-Klopish. So I cut of a fat quarter and gave it to Sandy herself.

And lo and behold, she used it in her latest collection!!! (The original vintage piece is on the left, new yardage on the right.) There are some slight changes and the colors are slightly more muted, but it’s very true to the original feel.  (And lest anyone out there is concerned about copyright issues, it is very common to reproduce vintage fabric prints. There is no copyright on vintage fabric designs.) The design is also reproduced with a red and a yellow background. Is that a kick or what?
This little panel with appliqued Pezzy-crayons was also included in the bundle that arrived.  I think it’s from the strike-off fabric.  I’ll just have to frame this piece as it came from Sandy’s workshop. :)

Thank you so much Sandy! I can’t wait to play with this newest collection.

Comments

oh my gosh i am giddy for you just reading this…meeting her, her using the fabric, getting the fabric and that cute piece with the pez crayons….it would all be too much! in the best way possible, of course.

How cool for you!! I know I would feel the same way meeting Kate Spain – so don't feel like the only one!! I love Sandy's fabrics, too!!

That is SOOOOO cool! She's my favorite Moda Designer. I'm glad you inspired her new collection, because it's adorable! The composition print might be the best basic ever.

So exciting. I think I would carry around that bundle with me for at least a day or two just to touch it and go through it over and over. ;) And I didn&#39;t get to comment on your last post, but you are gorgeous and I&#39;m so excited for you to have your braces off! Enjoy your popcorn, taffy, bubble gum and chewey off limits things to your heart&#39;s content.<br />xoxo,<br />Amy

Oooh, how fun to be able to contribute a little something! Of course I might just carry that print around in my handbag for, ooooh, the next year or so, showing it to everyone I met ;o)

You have inspired the talented Sandy Klop! Whoohoo!<br />Great story.<br />I love all of her patterns, and have collected quite a few. <br />Now… just to make them. They are on my must-do list.

ok I had to add I just looked at Moda&#39;s site and it is really incredible. This line is perfect, utterly gorgeous! And your influence is one of my favourites, along with the join the dots, and the adorable flowers… I could just go on gushing, it&#39;s right up my street!!!

Oh, so cute! I&#39;ve been wanting to make homeschool bags/bins for my kids. This is beyond perfect! Can&#39;t wait for it to become available.

You look so beautiful with those perfect teeth!! I&#39;m very happy for you that you finally got your braces off. I just found out today that mine are supposed to come off June 25th. Your teeth look GREAT! It was worth it right?! Thanks again for all of your wonderful posts. I feel like a broken record, but I love your style and taste.

That is really fun! I was just working with some of her fabric this morning… some of my cherrished pieces that I have saved! I love that little print that you found… you rescued it and now it is revived! A great story!

Oh Amy! It is so fun to have watched this story from the beginning. I can&#39;t wait to see what you make. Sandy&#39;s new line is wonderful and so are you.

Well that is super awesome! I just love Sandi Klop. I met her at market last year and she was so kind and wonderful. And I love that piece of fabric you found! It&#39;s so great. I think I will need to go get some. I also love the dot to dot in the new line.

What a fun fabric. Vintage or new it would make a cute addition to my STASH! How do we sign up to get that kind of surprise in our mailbox? It was nice you could meet her. I have enjoyed meeting a few not-so-famous fellow quilt bloggers -in person.

No wonder you are excited: how wonderful to have something you contributed be used for Sandy&#39;s fabric line!! I met her too, a few years ago at PIQF, and she is a doll: so sweet and kind!! I love her fabric too: I&#39;ll join the fan club with you :-)