47 In American Jane/ fabric/ Sandy Klop

My wee contribution to a new fabric collection!!

This past Saturday I got such a fun surprise in my mailbox. A whole bundle of Sandy Klop’s newest fabric collection for Moda, School Days. As is always the case, it is even better in real life than in all the pictures and previews.  (I think it was good karma for cutting into my Sandy stash for the I-spy quilt, don’t you?)

If you’ve been around these parts for a while, then you know that I am a HUGE Sandy Klop (aka American Jane) fan.  I have lost count of how many quilts I’ve made with her fabric collections.  Well, last winter I had the chance to meet her in real life when Amy McClellan invited her to teach at the American Quilting retreat. I tried really hard not to act like a 14-yr-old girl who got to meet Justin Bieber, but that’s kind of how I felt inside.  And Sandy did not disappoint. She was so real and genuine and fun. And her trunk show was out of this world.

Then, two months later, Sandy came back to Utah for International Quilt Market that was held in Salt Lake City last May.  And, being a groupie, I wanted to take Sandy a little token of my admiration.  A year or so earlier I had found this piece of vintage yardage at a thrift store and I loved it immediately because a) it was vintage and b) because it looked so Sandy-Klopish. So I cut of a fat quarter and gave it to Sandy herself.

And lo and behold, she used it in her latest collection!!! (The original vintage piece is on the left, new yardage on the right.) There are some slight changes and the colors are slightly more muted, but it’s very true to the original feel.  (And lest anyone out there is concerned about copyright issues, it is very common to reproduce vintage fabric prints. There is no copyright on vintage fabric designs.) The design is also reproduced with a red and a yellow background. Is that a kick or what?
This little panel with appliqued Pezzy-crayons was also included in the bundle that arrived.  I think it’s from the strike-off fabric.  I’ll just have to frame this piece as it came from Sandy’s workshop. 🙂

Thank you so much Sandy! I can’t wait to play with this newest collection.

Michele
    May 1, 2012 at 6:03 am

Such a cute collection. I'm so happy you found that vintage print and it was reproduced. It's darling.

Leslie
    May 1, 2012 at 6:12 am

oh my gosh i am giddy for you just reading this…meeting her, her using the fabric, getting the fabric and that cute piece with the pez crayons….it would all be too much! in the best way possible, of course.

Kristi
    May 1, 2012 at 6:20 am

How fun!!! What a lucky lady you are.

Sarah Craig
    May 1, 2012 at 6:39 am

How cool for you!! I know I would feel the same way meeting Kate Spain – so don't feel like the only one!! I love Sandy's fabrics, too!!

mascanlon
    May 1, 2012 at 7:07 am

Oh how fun! I love Sandy's fabric and use for my granddaughters ababyq hilt, it's always in style!

Melissa {polkadot chair}
    May 1, 2012 at 7:10 am

Ah so cool! You've definitely got the "eye" for fabric ! ! I started buying American Jane after I saw your quilts a couple of years ago.

randi--i have to say
    May 1, 2012 at 7:13 am

How fun to have a part in Sandy's collection! School Days is certainly very cute!

Mindelicious
    May 1, 2012 at 7:16 am

That is SOOOOO cool! She's my favorite Moda Designer. I'm glad you inspired her new collection, because it's adorable! The composition print might be the best basic ever.

Debby
    May 1, 2012 at 7:25 am

Can't wait for this to hit the shops!! Thanks for sharing

Shontelle
    May 1, 2012 at 7:33 am

Wow. That is crazy cool! I bet you jumped up and down like a mad woman. I know I would have!

Staci
    May 1, 2012 at 7:53 am

How exciting! You just must be so very thrilled! Thanks for sharing the story with us!

Kim Walus
    May 1, 2012 at 8:02 am

That is a great story! I love it! Sandy was so great and I loved visiting with her and getting to know her better.

Debbie
    May 1, 2012 at 8:14 am

How fun for you! That's terrific.

Amy at Ameroonie Designs
    May 1, 2012 at 8:19 am

So exciting. I think I would carry around that bundle with me for at least a day or two just to touch it and go through it over and over. 😉 And I didn&#39;t get to comment on your last post, but you are gorgeous and I&#39;m so excited for you to have your braces off! Enjoy your popcorn, taffy, bubble gum and chewey off limits things to your heart&#39;s content.<br />xoxo,<br />Amy

Modern Amish
    May 1, 2012 at 8:21 am

lucky girl! I love that reproduction print. How fun to be a part of a new collection. Can&#39;t wait to see what you make with the stash.

nettie
    May 1, 2012 at 8:38 am

That is awesome. You are her inspiration.

Katy Cameron
    May 1, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oooh, how fun to be able to contribute a little something! Of course I might just carry that print around in my handbag for, ooooh, the next year or so, showing it to everyone I met ;o)

RaeLyn
    May 1, 2012 at 8:44 am

That is such a cool story. Thank you for sharing!

Nedra
    May 1, 2012 at 8:46 am

You have inspired the talented Sandy Klop! Whoohoo!<br />Great story.<br />I love all of her patterns, and have collected quite a few. <br />Now… just to make them. They are on my must-do list.

krista
    May 1, 2012 at 8:49 am

you lucky lady! how very cool. congrats 😀

Farm Road Ramblings
    May 1, 2012 at 8:52 am

Oh that&#39;s so fun! I just received my shipment to sell in my store. I try to get some or all of each of her fabric lines, I just love them!

Lucy @ Charm About You
    May 1, 2012 at 9:48 am

AMAZING!!! I absolutely ADORE this fabric line and would have fainted if that dropped through my door 😉

Lucy @ Charm About You
    May 1, 2012 at 9:56 am

ok I had to add I just looked at Moda&#39;s site and it is really incredible. This line is perfect, utterly gorgeous! And your influence is one of my favourites, along with the join the dots, and the adorable flowers… I could just go on gushing, it&#39;s right up my street!!!

Jennie
    May 1, 2012 at 10:00 am

Oh, so cute! I&#39;ve been wanting to make homeschool bags/bins for my kids. This is beyond perfect! Can&#39;t wait for it to become available.

Kelli H
    May 1, 2012 at 10:08 am

Wow! Amazing line, this must be like a dream come true for you Amy!

vintage grey
    May 1, 2012 at 10:08 am

How wonderful!! I love this line, and have been meaning to get my hands on some!! Have a great day!! xo Heather

Sherri
    May 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

Congrats, Amy…what a super fun mail day…and yes, I would frame the other piece too!

bethanndodd
    May 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm

What a special surprise! How exciting!!<br />Smiles~Beth

Sydni
    May 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm

You look so beautiful with those perfect teeth!! I&#39;m very happy for you that you finally got your braces off. I just found out today that mine are supposed to come off June 25th. Your teeth look GREAT! It was worth it right?! Thanks again for all of your wonderful posts. I feel like a broken record, but I love your style and taste.

Michele
    May 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Very cute. Congrats for providing the inspiration for the new line.

Jamie Lee
    May 1, 2012 at 5:59 pm

That is too cool!

Karen H
    May 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

How cool is that?! I&#39;m loving the new fabric, too.

Lee
    May 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Oh wow, what a great story! Congrats on contributing to the new line! : )

pinksuedeshoe
    May 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Um, you are a rockstar. Seriously! I can&#39;t wait to get my hands on some of that! You are now an official piece of American Jane history 🙂

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts
    May 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I am huge fan of Sandy Klop also! I love this new line and it is awesome that she used the vintage fabric you gave her in it! That is just so exciting!!!

Sinta Renee
    May 2, 2012 at 5:28 pm

That is really fun! I was just working with some of her fabric this morning… some of my cherrished pieces that I have saved! I love that little print that you found… you rescued it and now it is revived! A great story!

notes of sincerity
    May 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Oh Amy. How excited you must be! :o) And being her dearest fan!! hugs. Trish xo

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    May 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm

That is so very cool Amy! I love the fabric you inspired. American Jane is also one of my favorites. So nice of Sandy to share with you.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny
    May 2, 2012 at 8:04 pm

What a fun story, Amy! Sandy&#39;s new fabric line is so sweet.

Calli Makes Do
    May 3, 2012 at 8:55 am

Oh Amy! It is so fun to have watched this story from the beginning. I can&#39;t wait to see what you make. Sandy&#39;s new line is wonderful and so are you.

leigh
    May 3, 2012 at 11:09 am

Well that is super awesome! I just love Sandi Klop. I met her at market last year and she was so kind and wonderful. And I love that piece of fabric you found! It&#39;s so great. I think I will need to go get some. I also love the dot to dot in the new line.

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight
    May 3, 2012 at 11:30 am

This is so cool! I love all of her fabrics too! And I love this line! I just added it to my list of fabrics I want to use in a quilt… So fun that you played a part in it&#39;s design:)

Mary
    May 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

What a fun fabric. Vintage or new it would make a cute addition to my STASH! How do we sign up to get that kind of surprise in our mailbox? It was nice you could meet her. I have enjoyed meeting a few not-so-famous fellow quilt bloggers -in person.

jessica
    May 3, 2012 at 3:30 pm

This is amazing! I *think* I can see the slight changes and like it. You must be so happy to have helped!

Kathy
    May 3, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I love this fabric line. How cute! It is a lucky lady to have these in her stash

Janine
    May 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

I love this fabric line. The prints are so cute.<br /><br />www.thesweetestdreamz.blogspot.com

Helen L
    May 12, 2012 at 12:39 am

No wonder you are excited: how wonderful to have something you contributed be used for Sandy&#39;s fabric line!! I met her too, a few years ago at PIQF, and she is a doll: so sweet and kind!! I love her fabric too: I&#39;ll join the fan club with you 🙂