Finished American Jane scraps quilt

A finished quilt to share today!  This quilt has been in progress for a long time.  It’s been in my head for a couple of years and I finally started actually making it this winter when I was asked to teach a “Using Your Fabric Scraps” class at my local quilt shop. You can see it in progress here and here
This quilt was made from lots of scraps of American Jane fabric that have accumulated over the years of working with those fabrics. And since I couldn’t part with even the little scraps, I needed to find a pattern that showed them off, so this quilt was inspired by quilts from this book by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr, as well as a quilt by Rita at Red Pepper Quilts (I can’t find the link at the moment).
Since this quilt was all about using what I already had on hand only, I found some white linen/cotton blend that I’d bought on some sale online. When it arrived it wasn’t what I’d been expecting, so I’d chucked it aside somewhere. It surfaced in the great clean-out of 2012 and so I decided to use it on this project.  I love the way the linen really shrunk in the wash (I didn’t pre-wash it before cutting it up) and it gives the quilt so much texture. I wish you could all come pet it, as it’s hard to tell from the pictures.
The back: I struggled finding just the right thing at first. Again, determined only to use what was on hand, I even dug out my precious American Jane bigger chunks (the blues and red) but it wasn’t quite enough for a complete back that looked cohesive. I’m running out of big hunks of fabric for backs (time to hit some clearance sales!) so I cheated and took the yellow from my mom’s stash.  (Still stash, so not totally cheating.) It worked perfectly with the other pieces.
A happy quilt, just in time for summer.

Comments

Oh I really love this quilt!<br />I too am a big American Jane fan- <br />thanks for sharing such a great way to use scraps :)<br />love, love, love your blog

Lovely! All the small pieces make it look very traditional and pioneer-ish :) and I love the way the white highlights all the other fabrics. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful quilt! I&#39;m a beginning quilter, so I look at all these great scrappy quilts with some jealousy, as I don&#39;t have a huge scrap stash yet. Sooner rather than later, I&#39;m sure. :)

I love the way this turned out! I love American Jane fabrics, probably because the colors reflect the illustrations in readers from the 1940&#39;s and 50&#39;s. They don&#39;t really fit the rest of my house, but I&#39;m thinking something like this would work great! And all that lovely, lovely white space for quilting designs!

I love it! I have a ton of scraps floating around from other projects that I would love to make into a quilt, but could never really settle on a pattern! This is beautiful and very inspiring.

That pattern has been on my &quot;to do&quot; list for awhile now. Yours looks great, gives me the inspiration to get started on my own!

I like that it has so much white in it! It really does make it the perfect summer quilt too, with all those little splashes of Mary Jane color going on. Love it!

I just love the AJ fabrics, both of my granddaughters have baby quilts from them along with many baby gifts! This is a wonderful use of all the scraps and I love anything with white these days.

Being a fellow AJ fan, this is just fabulous! I used the same pattern in a block exchange bee a couple of years ago, where everyone chose a different color and made their blocks using scraps of a certain color, for a ROYBGV quilt (is that the correct order? I can never remember. Duh…). Anyway, I&#39;ve never put it together. But I digress. THIS quilt is just beautiful. LOVE.IT.SO.MUCH!

Beautiful quilt, I like all the different fabrics used, and far as the white part that shrunk, I can see the quilt has texture. Very nice.

You&#39;ve done a wonderful job – this is truly beautiful. I too have a major American Jane obsession happening. Even though I have a bit (well maybe a bit more than a bit) I still hate cutting into it. It doesn&#39;t feel right. Having said that my A/Jane quilts are my sacred favourites!<br />This is a fantastic idea for using up your scraps. I love it when you post anything about American Jane

Thanks so much for all the quilt love! Also, it&#39;s SO nice to know there are so many other American Jane lovers out there. It looks like we need to start another Gang.

Amy, your quilts always look so crisp and neat, how do you get everything to line up? Tips are much appreciated (I&#39;m even having trouble with simple squares and sashing)…love your blog and happy Monday!