A whole lot of fun going on.

First, in honor of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee this weekend I finally pieced all my Union Jack blocks together. Three cheers for that. Now it’s off at the quilters. My goal is to have it done and bound before the Olympics start in July.  So cheerio, pip pip, and all that. (The original pattern I used for my Union Jack blocks is out of print, but I wrote one myself. You can find my Union Jack Quilt block pattern here.)

Second, I joined a Gang.

I know, I just scream ‘gangsta’, don’t I? Don’t worry, it’s not the kind of Gang that does sketchy things in shady back alleys.  This one is called the Fat Quarter Gang (or could it be the Phat Quarta Gang?) and involves gorgeous Art Gallery Fabrics and new free tutorials every week, and giveaways of said Art Gallery Fabrics. I’m so excited!

image from Art Gallery Fabrics

So it can’t be that shady, right? But watch out, these gangstas do seem to be carrying around a lot of open rotary cutters, so hold onto your fingers.

Third, have you heard about the Dresden Quilting Challenge this summer? It is a very fun challenge to celebrate Darlene Zimmerman’s 20th anniversary designing quilting tools for EZ Quilt. For the next 2 weeks there will be a blog tour with lots of ideas and inspiration using a simple Dresden Ruler.  You can read all about it at the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild, find out about the tour and how to enter your own creation later this summer to win a fabulous prize from one of these sponsors. I’ll be back with more inspiration myself in a couple of weeks.
And finally summer vacation has officially descended upon us here. (Cue “deer-in-the-headlights” expression.) I’ve learned some important things (sometimes the hard way) in summers past: we go through a lot more food and toilet paper when everyone is out of school, start a chore/job routine from day one or the house turns into chaos, and the blogging schedule must get lighter.  So I will be posting slightly less frequently over the next 2.5 months. Which is good for you too, since you have your own kids, yards, pets, tomato plants, or vacations, etc. to tend to over the summer as well. So it’s a win-win right?
And there is our fun news for today. Happy June!

Aunt Spicy
    June 2, 2012 at 6:03 am

Ohhhh, totally am smitten with your UJ quilt! Your mix of colors and the glimpses of JP are perfect! Have a fab weekend!

Gisela Suski
    June 2, 2012 at 6:09 am

the Union Jack quilt is GREATTTT! Just love the fabric, yes summer is here and try to enjoy "The Lazy Days of Summer". My memory before central air was to fill the small pool with water and getting in with the kids to cool off.

Archie the wonder dog
    June 2, 2012 at 6:10 am

I adore the UJ quilt – it's superb!

June 2, 2012 at 6:57 am

oh my amy…<br />you definitely have a full plate the next 2.5 months! can&#39;t wait to see more plastic bag outfits etc! your Union Jack is utter perfection….

Melissa Corry
    June 2, 2012 at 7:24 am

Busy, busy, busy 🙂 The Union Jack looks great!!! And the gang looks like a real hoot. I think I might have to submit an idea to see if I can get initiated. Who can pass up a fabric gang??

June 2, 2012 at 7:46 am

Glad I am not the only one with a &quot;deer in the headlights&quot; look about summer break! I have not touched my machine in a week and I think I am going through withdrawal. :)<br /><br />Love the Union Jack quilt!

June 2, 2012 at 8:56 am

Love your Union Jack! And will we be seeing you in a gangsta pose like the others?<br />Thanks for the link to the Dresden posts. I will be following these for sure!<br />Best of luck this summer:)

amy smart
      June 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Yes, although I make a pretty dweeby, un-intimidating gangster. 🙂

June 2, 2012 at 10:37 am

I love your Union Jack. I know I&#39;m coming a little late to that party, but what pattern did you use? Did you paper piece it? I&#39;ve been wanting to make a UJ mug rug for a British friend who is gaga over the Diamond Jubilee, but the paper pieced patterns I&#39;ve seen are a bit daunting.<br /><br />Enjoy your summer with the kiddos – my kids are all grown, and I kinda miss it.

The Quilt Quine
    June 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

Your Union Jack quilt is gorgeous! Did you paper piece it? Please, please post a demo… ;)<br />Linzi in Scotland xx

Sandra (Cherry Heart)
    June 2, 2012 at 11:41 am

Love your union flag quilt – it&#39;s the only jubilee related thing I&#39;ve seen that I&#39;ve liked actually! I&#39;m all for the Queen and jubilee etc but I feel all over the whole red white and blue thing already. This however, is gorgeous! Good luck with your long, long holidays 2.5 months -wow! That makes our 6 weeks seem like a breeze!<br /><br />S x

June 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Really love your Union Jack Quilt being a Canadian and love our Queen. Will love to see it when quilted. Have a wonderful summer with your kids. Blessings Sandra

vintage grey
    June 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Amy, I just love your Union Jack quilt!! Such a fun quilt!! Happy June and Summer!! Yay!! xo Heather

June 2, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Wow! That Union Jack is amazing!

June 3, 2012 at 5:19 am

Like those Union Jacks. And I heard about you gangstas from Jenni. That should be very interesting indeed.<br /><br />Enjoy your summer and make sure you&#39;re stocked up on the tp.

June 3, 2012 at 6:45 am

Ive loved your Union Jack quilts so much I ordered the pattern you suggested and it just came in the mail yesterday. I saw in one of your past posts that you do something a bit different to save fabric, I can see why. 🙂 Any chance you can share that tip?? I love your blog and good luck with the gang 🙂 Its going to be great!<br />Sequoia<br />colorfulsunshine at yahoo dot com

June 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Happy summer!!

June 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

The gangster profiles are easily some of the funniest things I&#39;ve read in quilt blog land. Whoever came up with the names deserves major credit! They&#39;re hilarious. As are the photos. 🙂

amy smart
      June 4, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Aren&#39;t they hysterical? My favorite is Faith with the Hello Kitty machine and the spray baste!

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight
    June 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I am SOOO in love with your union jack quilt! I definitely need to make one of those!! 🙂

June 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Your Union Jack Quilt is gorgeous!! You are soooo good with fabric colors and combinations!! LOVE IT!!

June 5, 2012 at 12:32 am

Haha… I was just reading last night about the highlights of the Queen&#39;s Diamond Jubilee and the first thought I had was &quot;I bet Amy did a post about it.&quot; 🙂 I just knew I&#39;d see some Union Jacks on your blog this weekend.

Nanette Merrill
    June 5, 2012 at 9:47 am

Your Union Jack is spectacular. I wish I had used more color in mine. But may be I&#39;ll add more color now to my London quilt. You&#39;re giving me ideas.

Katy Cameron
    June 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Loving your union jacks :o) Unbelievably at FQR we managed to miss the entire thing, no matter how close we were!

amy smart
      June 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm

What? The Queen didn&#39;t pop into the FQR? I thought that was an official part of the Jubilee festivities!

Rebecca @ Herons Crafts
    June 14, 2012 at 1:08 am

I love your Union Jack quilt – it looks fantastic! I have been enjoying some union jack projects in honour of the Olympics – its a great excuse for me to be patriotic!<br />Rebecca @ heronscrafts.blogspot.com

Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    September 4, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I know this is an old post, but can you refer me to a link where I can see the pattern? None of the links from the post or the commenters currently seem to be working. Thank you.