Summer of the traveling Hexies

A few months back, I needed a good project for a road trip in the car.  So I started making little tiny hexagon flowers.  It’s a perfect way to use up scraps and it’s so portable I can take them with me anywhere.
Last fall, my friend Amy gave me this cute little pencil box (from Target, I think.)
It has become the perfect traveling-hexie box for carrying all my supplies and keeping them handy for any spare moment in the car or at the pool when I can pick up and do a little hand work.  The box stays with me in my purse at all times.  Inside I keep my templates, a bunch of fabric scraps, scissors and a bobbin of thread – smaller and more portable than a spool – in the box.  The sturdiness of the box keeps everything safe and it doesn’t get ratty like a plastic bag does.
 I just started adding the white hexagons that will surround the colored flowers.

I like the potential here.  I’m using the 5/8″ hexagons from PaperPieces.com. They’re little, so it’s going to take some time to have anything sizeable put together, but I’m fine with that since I love having my little portable project during all that normally-‘wasteable’ time.

Jennifer Rodriguez
    August 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Beautiful as always! I am loving handwork more too.. Can't wait to see what you create with these lovelies!!

trish
    August 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm

So cute!! :o) I love the white borders! And super sweet of &quot;the other&quot; Amy to gift that adorable box! ;o)<br />Have a wonderful weekend.<br />love ya. Trish

Crafts4others
    August 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm

love the hexagons, always a fan of them. EPP is addicting.

Archie the wonder dog
    August 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Gorgeous!

Heidi Staples
    August 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm

These are so perfectly darling. I remember seeing those pencil boxes at Target last year — such a perfect size for this type of project!

Kimberly
    August 25, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Cute! I made a whack of hexis too on our recent holiday (inspired by you, of course!) and was wondering what to do with them. I had thought of a black surround for my flowers, but the white looks great too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Leah
    August 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm

So cute!

Katy Cameron
    August 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Such pretty flowers :o) I&#39;m currently working out what to take on my over 26 hours of flights in October (that&#39;s round trip, but even so, I&#39;m trying not to think about the over 11 hour ones!) and then the long road trip after SS

Jaime Costiglio
    August 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Love your portable project – great minds think alike! I too always, always have some handsewing in the car, especially when waiting for school pick up. We cannot waste a single minute without being productive – it&#39;s a little secret to how us women get so much accomplished. PS – Your color choices are terrific.

ME
    August 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Love them! I love my hexies too, and I just found out about glue-stick basting with them,and boy does it speed things up!

amy smart
      August 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Glue-stick basting! That is brilliant! I need to give it a try.

kelli
    August 25, 2012 at 5:02 pm

LOVE IT! The new hexa-go-go book has a quilt that combines strings blocks with hexis… Those would look so cute in that quilt! Great job!

Carla
    August 25, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I love them love them love them! I have also been making hexies on the go all summer! Yours are adorable!

Melissa Corry
    August 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm

These are so cue Amy!! Love them πŸ™‚

Missy Shay
    August 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I like the idea of the pencil box, your hexies look great! missysaprons@gmail.com

Marian
    August 25, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Soooo lovely!! They&#39;ve got great potential that&#39;s for sure!! And the pencil box is a great idea…I&#39;ve been using plastic bags and it&#39;s lame. I need to upgrade!

Laura
    August 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm

These look great. I love making hexies! I saw a nifty idea somewhere lately that used a bento box to cary EPP supplies around. It was very cool!

Kati from Kati's Quilting
    August 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Beautiful hexies Amy, I love your fabrics! Thanks for sharing!

tubilinha tiacarminha
    August 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Amo e sou viciada nestes mimos.Estes seus estΓ£o divinos.Beijo. <br /><br /><br />

Micki
    August 25, 2012 at 9:30 pm

How cute! I love hexies, and these are just adorable!

Mary
    August 25, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I love your Hexies! I&#39;m doing a single ring hexie quilt with white border too! Isn&#39;t it a blast! I&#39;m using my Accuquilt Go! to cut both the fabric and the paper. I use the middle hexie for the fabric and the smallest for the hexies. It&#39;s perfect to make 1&quot; hexies.

Live a Colorful Life
    August 25, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Beautiful. They are great surrounded by the white hexies!

Elisabeth
    August 26, 2012 at 12:32 am

Gorgeous hexies. It&#39;s a good idea to always have something in your bag; I&#39;ve been stuck in boring places with nothing to do a few times. I might just go and get some paper templates, fabrics and pins right now to put in my bag.

Meggie
    August 26, 2012 at 4:04 am

Thanks for link to Paper Pieces…the hexagons are adorable.

Jenn
    August 26, 2012 at 9:38 am

I&#39;m doing the same thing, although I don&#39;t have a cute little box – mine is larger and I can&#39;t take it everywhere! I plan to do the white hexies, too, and am somewhat dreading all that….not sure if I want to applique my flowers onto blocks or go with the all-out entirely hand pieced top….I know it will take a few years to amount to anything, but I&#39;m OK with that too because,

CathyK
    August 26, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Such pretty hexes! I love the box…how handy!

adaisygarden.com
    August 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Great idea! Beautiful!!

Tessao
    August 27, 2012 at 10:14 am

Gorgeous hexies! I love the contrasting coloured center of each one!

agirlnamedmaria
    August 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Can you please explain handwork(where do you learn to do it)and hexies to a non-quilter who is getting ready to dip her toe into the beautiful sea of fabrics. I realize this is not something a beginner would start off with, but your projects are so beautiful that I want to learn all of it! Thank you :o)

Barbara
    August 27, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Wonderful (: Hexies are my go-to in the car as well. Such an easy and small project to bring along!

Karen
    August 28, 2012 at 6:30 am

I love your hexie flowers, they do travel well!

Layne Bushell
    August 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

You inspire me Amy! I wish I were organized enough to do traveling hexies!

bethanndodd
    August 28, 2012 at 11:20 am

Those are adorable! I have yet to try hexies but hope to soon. They may just be the perfect project to work on while at practices every.night.of.the.week πŸ˜‰ Smiles~Beth

Carla
    August 28, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Your hexies are gorgeous! I just finished a doll quilt with 3/8 hexagons. So fun!

Cindy
    August 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Just starting into the quilting world. Sorry for maybe an obvious question: do you take the paper or plastic out? And how and when do you do that?

amy smart
      August 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Great question Cindy. Yes, you eventually take out the templates. I take them out after I have sewn all six sides to an adjoining block.

Sherri
    September 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I love these…I guess I didn&#39;t realize they were so small…amazing!