Sarah Jane Out to Sea Baby Quilt tutorial

Ahoy me hearties! (Okay, sorry for the obnoxious pirate talk, but when else do you get to say things like “Ahoy”?)
Sarah Jane’s latest collection, Out to Sea, has hit the stores. Remember this quilt from Market last spring? Today I am sharing a pattern/tutorial to make your very own as part of the Out to Sea DIY Blog Tour! Be sure to check out the adorable projects listed – cute clothes, pillows and even a narwhal head!

Thanks to the adorable Out to Sea panels available, this is a fairly quick project to assemble. When finished, this quilt measures: 42″ x 50″

Fabric Requirements:
  • 1 map panel (1/3 yard)
  • 1 1/4 yard boat panel
  • 3/8 yard white (Soft White Cotton Couture by Michael Miller is the perfect match)
  • 1/8 yard of at least 5 different ‘light’ prints and 5 different ‘dark’ prints from Out to Sea collection
  • 5/8 yard red stripe
  • 1 5/8 yard backing fabric
From fabric cut the following:
  • Map Panel – 12” x 42½”
  • Boat Panel – cut one side of the boat panel to 16″ x 42½”
  • White fabric – (2) 3½” x 42½”  strips and (2) 2″ x 42½” strips
  • Red Stripe – cut (2)  1½” x 42½” strips, cut the remainder into bias strips. Set aside for binding
  • Assorted 1/8 yards – Cut into (28) 4½” ‘dark’ squares and (28) 4½” ‘light’ squares
Assembly
Create the ‘flag’ blocks:

Match up 28 sets of one ‘dark’ and one ‘light’ 4½” square. Draw a diagonal line on the back of the light square and sew a 1/4″ seam down both sides of the drawn line.

Half-Square Triangle blocks: Carefully rotary cut on the drawn line and open blocks, pressing seams toward the dark fabric.  You will now have 56 half-square-triangle (HST) blocks.

Set aside 14 ‘sets’ of coordinating half-square triangle blocks (28 blocks total).  Square-up the remaining 28 blocks to 3½ “.

Hour Glass blocks: Take the remaining 14 pairs (28 HST blocks) and rotary cut across them diagonally, perpendicular to the seams.

Now match up opposing blocks and sew them back together, careful to match up the center seams.

Carefully open blocks and press them flat. Then square up the 28 Hour Glass blocks to 3½”.  **Be sure to keep the center point in the center of the block when squaring up. For a more in-depth tutorial on Hour Glass blocks go here.

Sew 14 Hour Glass blocks in a row.  Press all seams the same direction. Repeat with the remaining 14 Hour Glass blocks.

Sew two sets of 14 Half Square Triangle blocks in a row with triangles all going the same direction.  Press seams of one row all to the left. Press seams of second row all to the right. Sew two HST rows together to create a set of 2 x 14 HST blocks. (See quilt photo.)

Quilt Assembly:

Sew rows of strips together in the following order. (Be careful to not stretch rows when sewing them together.  Pinning rows in place will help.  Also alternating seam directions will help to keep the quilt sides ‘square’.)

1 white 3½” x 42½” strip
1 red-striped 1½” x 42½” strip
1 white 2″ x 42½” strip
1 row of 14 Hour Glass blocks
Map Panel (12″ x 42½”)
2 rows of 14 HST blocks
Boat Panel (16″ x 42½)
1 row of 14 Hour Glass blocks
1 white 2″ x 42½” strip
1 red-striped 1½” x 42½” strip
1 white 3½” x 42½” strip
Press all seams away from the pieced strips.
Quilt as desired.  For a quilting tutorial go here.
Sew bias strips into one continuous strip.  Binding tutorial here.

Sarah Jane’s coordinating Out to Sea stitchery patterns are also available now.  You could use the same block technique and any leftover bias stripe strips to create a similar wall hanging.

Out to Sea fabrics can be found at the Poppy Seed FabricsPink Castle FabricsFat Quarter Shop, Fabric Worm, and Westwood Acres.

Lynn
    September 5, 2012 at 5:31 am

I LOVE this! No surprise though I usually love what you do. I just ordered out to sea fabric last week to do a quilt for my newborn! I will be lucky if I can get a disappearing 9 square done and try to quilt on my machine for 1st time. I have always hand quilted.

Debby
    September 5, 2012 at 5:37 am

Love this!! Thanks for sharing

Katy Cameron
    September 5, 2012 at 6:07 am

Love it, especially the nautical flag inspired blocks

ErikaB3
    September 5, 2012 at 6:38 am

That is really beautiful!

Reb Thack
    September 5, 2012 at 7:25 am

I can't tell you how I wish my son wasn't almost 4! I'd so make this for his Layette. Gorgeous! I'm thinking I may have to attempt embroidery and try the picture…

ashley
    September 5, 2012 at 7:43 am

Amy, that quilt is darling. I love the use of the panel to make a fast quilt!<br />

Lesa
    September 5, 2012 at 8:03 am

The quilt is darling. I love her fabrics :=)

CathyK
    September 5, 2012 at 9:13 am

Holy Smokes!!!! This quilt is FUN and FANTASTIC!!! Thank you for the tutorial!!!!!

SuzyMcQ
    September 5, 2012 at 9:18 am

I can not begin to tell you how much I adore this quilt. It is perfection! Beautiful job, as always!

Anna
    September 5, 2012 at 9:54 am

oh i love it!!! what a great design. very cool. now I might just have to nab some of that out to sea. 🙂

Aunt Spicy
    September 5, 2012 at 10:47 am

thanks mucho for posting, its fabulous!!!

Live a Colorful Life
    September 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

This is just so wonderful!

Jessie @ Messy Jesse
    September 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I&#39;m in love with this quilt Amy! So beautiful, I just love the look of it in that first pic. Would look great in a nautical themed living room. Jessie, xo

vintage grey
    September 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Such a beautiful quilt Amy!! Love it!! Thanks for sharing! xo Heather

Lynnie
    September 6, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Of course I love anything SJ does, but this is by far my favorite when it all came together. Must be the new england blood in me. 🙂

amylouwho
    September 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm

THIS is amazing!! I love the fabric line and your design is amazing!! I love the pink colorway too. I miss you friend!<br />

CFLife
    September 7, 2012 at 4:24 am

Amy, thank you so much for sharing the tutorial. It is very gracious and thoughtful. Because for some of us once the fabric was purchased there wasn&#39;t enough left to purchase a pattern! Again,thank you so very much :D.

LittleLucyGoosey
    September 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Amy, this is such a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing your tute – fabulous as always. 🙂

Natalia from Piece N Quilt
    September 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm

So cute as always Amy!

Nanette Merrill
    September 10, 2012 at 9:55 am

Stunning! I love it.

bakewithamy
    September 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

wow. that&#39;s a very sailorly quilt.<br />it would be a huge hit in my sailorly family<br />I may have to order fabric for that!

ourdailypop
    September 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I love this fabric and the pattern. I think I&#39;m going to make this my first quilting project! One question — for the sailboat panel, does it call for 1/4 yard or 1 1/4 yard? I initially read it as 1 1/4 yards, but now I think maybe it&#39;s supposed to be 1 (as in single) 1/4 yard panel. That would track with the yardage of the map pattern, but I don&#39;t want to fall short with my

amy smart
      September 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I don&#39;t have a return email address, so hoping you will see this here: It is 1 AND 1/4 for the boat panel. The boat panel is printed lengthwise on the fabric, instead of width-wise like the map, so you need more. You will end up with an additional boat panel, but you could use it on the back or in another project.<br /><br />Hope that helps! Thanks for your question. I&#39;m sure you weren&

ourdailypop
    September 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I did see your reply, thank you so much! I was able to order the correct amount. It just arrived today from Fabric Worm, and I&#39;m in awe of how lovely these fabrics are! They&#39;re so silky and delicious feeling. A far cry from the Wal-Mart fabric I&#39;d bought to dip my toe into quilting. I&#39;m almost afraid to start cutting and sewing, lest my total lack of experience mess things up.

rita skaggs
    February 4, 2013 at 10:00 am

I love this…I think that I will make one in honor of my father who was in the Navy during WWII. Thanks for making it, because I wouldn&#39;t have ever thought of doing it.

Tanichiwa
    May 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Hi Ami, I have made a quilt for my 3.5 y.o. boy using your pattern. Cannot express how much I loved the fabrics and the pattern when I saw it first. Thank you very much to you and Sara Jane for such an amazing piece! <br />http://tanichiwa.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/pirate-quilt.html

Natalie
    August 13, 2013 at 8:39 am

Thanks for the tutorial, and all the information! I made a modified version of this quilt for my baby and I love it. http://mgsewingadventures.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/out-to-sea-quilt/

River East Quilts » Out to Sea Baby Quilt
    June 18, 2015 at 9:29 pm

[…] her Out to Sea collection.  But I wanted something quick and simple, so I was excited to see the free pattern from Amy Smart at Diary of a Quilter.  This is the first quilt I’ve ever made using almost […]

eileen
    March 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm

I missed this fabric, this is crazy good !!! I love it!!!