The City Quilter, New York

It’s been a month already (time flies!) since our recent trip to NY but I still wanted to share my visit to The City Quilter, so that I can add it to the list of my favorite Quilt-y places to visit in NYC.

The City Quilter is located in the ‘Chelsea’ area of NY at 133 West 25th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues.  It’s just a few blocks south of the Garment/Fashion District. We were there on a Wednesday evening and it was hopping – the store was full of customers.

The shop has a large selection of fabrics including many of the latest collections by the major fabric manufacturers as well as a collection of Oriental prints and batiks.

Some collections, including the newest, are grouped together, but the majority of the bolts are grouped by color along a L O N G wall on one side of the store. Of the quilt shops I’ve visited in Manhattan (each has their niche), The City Quilter has the most bolts of fabric and the biggest variety.

There is also a selection of wool projects and kits
and a large selection of the latest quilting books.
Attached to the City Quilter is a small quilt gallery.  This amazing Dear Jane quilt wasn’t officially in the gallery, but close by.  Cool to see a traditional Dear Jane quilt created from batiks and other bright prints for an entirely different feel.
The City Quilter offers a large selection of classes, long-arm quilting services, and is a Bernina machine distributor.  It was great to finally get a peek inside. I’d tried once before a few years ago, but went on a Monday – their day off (the shop is closed.) Just FYI so that you don’t make the same mistake.

And of course I could not walk away empty handed.  I found a few odds and ends: a map of Paris by dear Stella, Crowns by MakowerUK, and an in house print of the Manhattan subway system. The girl who cut my fabric wisely warned me not to count on it as a reliable method of finding transportation routes (as the Bronx and Brooklyn kind of overlap in the repeats) but a perfect NYC souvenir nonetheless.

Happy Cottage Quilter
    September 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for sharing your visit. I would LOVE to go there one day. I was born in the Big Apple, but it's been MANY years since I've been there. I'm sure a LOT has changed.

Nita Hollander
    September 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I live on Long Island but manage to get into The City every so often and one of my favorite places to shop is The City Quilter!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the photos – viewing them urges me to make another visit!!!

Katy Cameron
    September 22, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Looks like a fun shop to visit! I'm dreaming of walking into a quilt shop with bolts and bolts of fabric… Only 2 1/2 weeks til I get to :oD

Jan
    September 22, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I make it there once a year, from California! It's my favorite in NYC.

Sandy D
    September 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Thanks for showing us around the store.It looks like it has something for everyone.It looks like patient Hubby is checking the time on his watch.LOL

amy smart
      September 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Thank goodness for Smart phones to keep husbands entertained in quilt shops. πŸ™‚

adaisygarden.com
    September 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Pretty shop. Loved the Dear Jane quilt!!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    September 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm

We were probably very close by when visiting Victoria, but next time I will make sure to visit the City Quilter! Thanks for the tour Amy.

lifeinredshoes
    September 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Isn't it interesting that some things like quilting know no borders? When I first learned that Japan has lovely quilters I was shocked, I picture them leaning over electronics?

Thimbleanna
    September 22, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Oooh, I used to love to visit the City Quilter on my business trips, but back then they didn't have the little gallery next to it. The first time I visited TCQ was my first trip to NYC — I thought it would be a good idea to drive in to Manhattan after work one day. I'd driven in lots of big cities before, but NYC is a different animal! I finally found TCQ and turned at the nearest

CathyK
    September 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Looks like a wonderful shop! You picked out some terrific fabric, too!

lroghair/lparks
    September 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Hey, I was just there about a month ago too!! LOVE that store! I purchased some of the NYC fabric also. Hadn't thought to use it as a map, but glad I didn't!!

VeeV
    September 22, 2012 at 9:59 pm

i especially like the patient husband photo….

Sherri
    September 22, 2012 at 10:43 pm

This was such a fun post! I am going to get there some day, and your tips from your travels are always appreciated!

felicity
    September 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I loved checking out The City Quilter when we were in NYC (6 years ago now! Wow!).

gilly
    September 23, 2012 at 4:53 am

Looks fabulous! Sooo wish I&#39;d gone when we were in NYC last month. Just going to have to put it on the list for my next trip :-)<br />

Rebecca Grace
    September 23, 2012 at 7:50 am

Thanks for posting this! My little sister lives in North Jersey, not too far from a ferry to Manhattan. Next time I go up there to visit, I&#39;m definitely going to schedule an excursion to the City Quilter!

Mary Gillmarten
    September 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm

LOVE the subway map! I need the subway map! I have a friend in NYC I can send to get it for me!

Lisa
    September 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Lovely blog post, I soooooooo want to visit The City Quilter. The last time I was in NY it was closed on the only day I could go. One day.

QuiltyGirl
    September 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I was just here yesterday! We also visited the Highline after I read about it here. πŸ™‚

jadre
    September 24, 2012 at 5:27 am

I love picture of patient husband. Make me lough. My wouldn&#39;t be patient at all. <br />The selection of materials is awesome.

Fabric shops in New York - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    June 8, 2015 at 1:36 pm

[…] in New York City. Here they are. Enjoy. Purl Soho Pins and Needles Boutique upper east side The City Quilter M&J Trimming The Fabric District Pearl River Mart, Soho Jonathan Adler Store, Soho […]

mobile Alena