Report from the Sewing Summit

As mentioned previously, I just returned from the second annual Sewing Summit in Salt Lake City, Utah last weekend.  I’m so lucky that it’s a local event for me – makes it so much easier to attend.  I was amazed by the people who came from far, far away, like the UK or Australia!  And because I’m a local, I was asked to bring my ironing board for use during the summit.  This year I was sure to get a picture, because it’s not every day that you get to carry your ironing board through the lobby of a swanky hotel.
Another fun part of being a local is playing chauffeur to folks from out of town and showing them around the local antique or quilting shops. It’s usually one of my favorite parts of the weekend.
The classes this year were really excellent. I learned great things from every one of them – everything from machine-piecing hexagons and inset-seams to blogging and website design advice.
I even made myself an article of clothing that I will actually wear!  I took a Maxi Skirt class from Leanne Barlow that was fantastic.  We used sergers to construct the skirt and I succeeded in not only completing the skirt, but in not breaking the serger in the process. I’ve been sorely tempted to buy a serger for years, but I live in fear of it coming un-threaded and never being able to use it again.  I’m feeling slightly more confident now.

Another aspect of the Sewing Summit that I love is meeting people in real life that I have interacted with online for years, such as Anna and Audrie and a host of many others. Such a treat. (And look at that, I even remembered to pull out my camera occasionally.) A HUGE thank you to the Sewing Summit planners and staff for all of their hard work. I can’t imagine the time and effort that goes into putting something like this together!

I continue to marvel at the talent of so many great people in the sewing community. I came home and told my husband how blessed I feel to have found real-life people who like petting, cutting and sewing fabric as much as I do and who have become real-life friends. (I’ll admit, the swag and listening to cool people like Joel Dewberry [above] are nice aspects as well.)

I have to say, I’m always a little leary of writing posts like this because the last thing I want to do is sound like, “Neener, neener, look where I was…” So let me end by encouraging you to reach out to real-life people, whether online, or better yet, in your local community and find ways to facilitate getting together to sew and visit – sometimes those small groups are the best kind!

Comments

I've been so looking forward to everyone's posts about SS. I'm really sorry that I missed it and won't again next year, that's for sure. While all the other parts of the weekend sound terrific, I am most looking forward to meeting everyone in person.

looks like you had a great time, and I for one, love reading all about it, because it was just too far and too expensive for me from the UK otherwise I'd be there in a shot! And maybe somewhere in all those photo's I'll spot some of my friends who made it from the UK!

That sound so fabulous! I have a serger that I bought secondhand but I've never used for exactly that reason! Those four cones of thread are pretty intimidating.

Amy, I would sure like to attend since I am local also but I have only heard about it from you.<br />Maybe it should be better publicized. <br />I enjoy reading your blog every week. Say hi to your mother in law for me.<br />Cindy

Wow Amy, it looks like you had a full and good time at Sewing Summit this year. I know how different it is to sew a skirt , Im embarking in making American Girl clothes for my girls and it is different ! Im glad you had such a good time. I can only admire you from afar as I have been down for 4 weeks now with allergies..

I *love* the picture of you in the lobby with your ironing board!! That is the finest hotel I have ever stayed in. :0) Your skirts is soo cute!! I too want a serger but am concerned about operator malfunctions. Hahaha<br />How much fun to have been shown about town. You are just the sweetest to shuttle every one. :0) <br />I too am so thankful for the dear ladies I have met that love to

Neener neener? Hah! :-) I love your maxi skirt. Sergers are not that bad, really — just buy one from a local dealer, and if you ever get stuck or can&#39;t remember how to thread it, just march back over to the dealer and they will show you again, and again, and again if necessary! <br /><br />Machine pieced hexagons?! I did not think that was possible! Please consider sharing that with

Wow, what an awesome experience for you and the others who attended. I hope that one day I might be in a position to go to something like the Sewing Summit. Nothing much happens around where I live and sometimes I feel like I sew in a vacuum, but blogs allow me to escape and sample that great big wide world out there!

Thanks for sharing. As I&#39;m in the UK with no chance of going to Sewing Summit it&#39;s great to see all the pictures and read the blog posts so I can live vicariously through them and see the people behind the blogs I read all the while.

thanks for sharing, i look forward to all the recap posts. gives me a good idea of what happens at these events and helps me decide if i want to attend. I never feel they are written in a boastful tone.<br />

Amy, I love reading and seeing your blog…… I never feel you are &quot;rubbing in&quot; that you are there and I am not!! It&#39;s all so much fun to see….. I only wish I had the time and money to travel to lots of them!!! So, I can experience via YOU!! Keep up the wonderful blog….. you are truly an inspiration and I always love the nice bright fabrics you put together……..<br />Hope to

Amy, thanks for sharing your experiences and photos of sewing summit! I never feel like you&#39;re bragging about anything. It just makes me want to fly half way around the world to go too! Haha Keep up the good work, so people like me can love vicariously through you! LOL

Thanks for the awesome SS recap! I was there last year and it was a blast – but this year I&#39;m saving for quiltcon! I love that you are encouraging people to build a real life community wherever they are. I finally joined my local modern quilt guild about a year and a half ago – who knew I would meet my new best friend at that first meeting?! lol. :)

Hey kiddo….I&#39;m very proud of you for taking out your camera AND giving it to someone else so you could be in the pictures!;)<br />You did a great job on that skirt….my girl would just love it….she&#39;s getting ready to go back to the UK on thursday….sniff.<br /><br />Hmmmm….maybe I need to save my pennies for next year?:)<br />xo

I&#39;m grateful you write posts of the really wonderful quilting experiences you get to participate in. It&#39;s my way of seeing all the fun, even if I&#39;m miles away. And, love the picture of you carrying an ironing board through the hotel. A true quilter.

Don&#39;t be afraid to write posts like this. I also attended the Sewing Summit this year but it was ONLY because I read about it on Jeni&#39;s In Color Order blog last year. She was so enthusiastic about it, I decided that I had to go. Maybe you will encourage someone else.

Amy, go for it and buy a serger. If it comes unthreaded I will come and thread it for you. Looks like you had a well deserved enjoyable time. Couldn&#39;t happen to a sweeter person. I am doing the happy dance for you!

I love your recap! It was fantastic meeting you…what a wonderful weekend. I am so thankful for you and the other locals for making everyone feel so welcome. What a beautiful town SLC is – next year I want to explore much more!

I may never be able to attend such a function. I am so glad to see all these aspects of Sewing Summit – and more. OK, I might be a smidgen jealous of anyone being able to attend. However, if I can&#39;t be there, I am glad others who enjoy &#39;petting, cutting and sewing fabric&#39; as much as I do, as well as, meeting others of like persuasion are able to go.

This looks like so much fun! My friend Rachel (Family Ever After) said she got to meet you and I was so jealous! ha ha I will have to make a trip out next year! :) Glad you had such a fun time! I am loving your ironing board in the hotel lobby! Bet you got a few looks ;)<br /><br />P.S.- Don&#39;t ever feel like you are saying &quot;Neener, neener, look where I was!&quot;… I love reading about

Hooray!! So fun to spend some time with you there. Too bad it isn&#39;t 2 x per year so that everyone could get a chance to go. Thanks for your recap, my friend.

It looks like it was a ton of fun. You should totally get a serger, they are not really scary at all. It&#39;s fun to sew fast and cut off the edge as you go!

Thanks for posting such a great review! Posts like this are what convinced me to finally attend Sewing Summit. I can&#39;t wait! Are you going to be there this year?