New Baby Quilts

This past weekend I finally delivered a few quilts that I’ve been working on for special friends. (Which means I can also finally share pictures here.) These were for a one of my oldest friends.(Not that we’re old, just that we’ve been friends a long time.) We used to play with our cabbage patch dolls together years ago and spent lots of time setting up beds for them and changing their outfits. Now there are real babies to play with!

These quilts are for two special babies who are now 8 months old. (I’m that slow.) At least the quilts are big enough that they will last them a little while. Their room (which is so adorable, why didn’t I take pictures?) is decorated in red, blue and green using Tanya Whelan’s collections. I added a few more prints in those colors for the quilts to make them look scrappy, shabby chic.

The quilts were quilted by Melissa Kelly of Sew Shabby Quilting, who once again, did a beautiful job!

It was so much fun to make these two quilts. I feel kind of tacky, but I’ve started asking moms-to-be to tell me what they’d like in a quilt. It takes away any surprise, but I’d so much rather invest the time and fabric into making something that they really want. I don’t do it every time (I’m still a little chicken at being so brazen) but with old, close friends it’s a little easier I guess. What do you think? Tacky?

I’m excited to finally have a finished quilt, or two, to share.

Post Edit: A couple of people asked about instructions for making quilts out of squares on points. Here is a great chart with instructions and measurements for multiple sizes of squares on point.

I love that you ask the moms what they might like to see in a quilt. You want the quilts to be used, so the best way to accomplish that is to make something to their tastes. So smart!

Amy they are so gorgeous !! I thought maybe you made them for Etsy shop and I was gonna buy them LOL !!! Until I read your post what lucky friend !

Not at all tacky! A gift doesn't have to be a surprise to be a good gift. And as you say, when you are investing time (and let's be honest, a fair amount of money) it's nice to have the assurance that it's something they will love.

I ask the moms to be what they would like as far as color and style and if they have a theme. So, since the quilt isn't a total suprise the completed project is.

Those are gorgeous! As to the question, I don't think it's tacky at all. I would rather give something in colors that I know they'll really love.

I love these quilts! I'm new to quilting and have been searching for a tutorial on how to make blocks like those on your baby quilts(the diamond shaped squares). Is it possible to post a quick tutorial or you can email me at Thanks so much! Michelle.

Beautiful quilt and not at all tacky. I think you can easily go either way. I usually check the colors before I make one because I know some people are very picky about what makes them happy :)

I don't think it is tacky at all. In fact, I think it is brilliant. I made a quilt using fabric that matched a woman in my office's theme, thinking she would love it, and despite that she posts pictures all the time of the baby, I've never seen the quilt even once. I wish I'd just given it to charity now, since she obviously doesn't like it/use it. I've learned that

Those are such pretty, happy quilts! Not tacky at all to ask the mom-to-be what they'd like in the way of colors/fabrics. I'd much rather do that and know that they love and use it for their newborn, if I saw it as the dog's bed it would break my heart!

First of all, thank you thank you thank you for your charm pack quilt tutorial! If I can make, anyone can :)<br />My daughter is expecting twins, her first…and second. I think it&#39;s a good idea, and never brazen, to ask someone if they have a color preference. But I&#39;ve never seen anyththing you&#39;ve made that wasn&#39;t great :)

I think it&#39;s fine to ask for their input. If the parents have registered anywhere, I look through everything they picked out to get an idea of what the nursery colors, theme,and style will be.

Amy,<br />As you very well know,<br />A lot of time and &quot;LOVE&quot; go into the making of a quilt…. Many people don&#39;t have a clue how much really. Asking them to help you is only fair to you. Makes it easier for all … Might be a little more work to comply with their wishes but I want people to love it and use it if I am going to make them a quilt. I am a Tanya Whelans fabric lover.

I don&#39;t think it&#39;s tacky at all! You&#39;re just making sure the receiver is going to super love what you&#39;re making them, and I don&#39;t think there&#39;s a thing in the world wrong with that. Beautiful quilts!

Not at all tacky – super smart. There is little point in going to all that effort if the quilt is not quite right in the eyes of the recipient. Ask away I say :)

I usually ask moms-to-be what their plans are for their nursery, if they have a theme, if they&#39;re having a boy or a girl, and a few other questions that will give me a better sense of what they might like. Although when my sister or sister-in-law or one of my really good friends finally has a baby, I think I&#39;m just going to ask straight out. So not tacky, smart.

I do not think it is tacky at all. It benefits both parties because you know your money and time is going to be spent on something that the receiver is for sure going to love! It is a win-win!!!! LOVE those quilts!

I LOVE this quilt pattern! These are beautiful! Would you mind sharing how you did this – or direct us to where we can find instructions/the pattern! I&#39;m due with my second and would LOVE to make one of these for our new baby girl!

Sew cute! I love the binding on your quilts the red dot is so sweet! Do you make your own bias binding? That is not tacky. I once had a new Mom choose fabric from my stash. I am so glad she choose the fabrics, because I never would have put those colors together. The little quilt was perfect for Mom and Baby.

Beautiful. I don&#39;t think it&#39;s tacky at all. My friends daughter is 3 months pregnant and is going to let me know the sex as soon as the finds out from the scan. I&#39;ll also be asking her what fabrics she likes. The design will be a surprise though.

They are so adorable!! I don&#39;t think it is tacky at all. If I was a new mom I would love it if people asked what colors and such. It gets way more use that way. And if it is tacky, then I am tack right along with you. I even bring family in to look at the stash and pick out their fabric 😉

Very cute! It&#39;s not tacky. I would rather get what I want then be surprised :)Of course I&#39;ve never seen a baby quilt that wasn&#39;t precious so I guess you can&#39;t go wrong. Not everything has to match.

Not at all tacky just sensible. There&#39;s just so much blood, sweat &amp; tears &amp; of course love, that goes into making a quilt, that you really want to see the recipients face just light up when they see the finished product.

&quot;I&#39;d love to spend my time and money making you something by hand that your child will be able to cherish for years and I&#39;d like for it to be something that you like, too&quot; doesn&#39;t sound tacky to me…

They&#39;re adorable Amy! Not tacky at all. The only problem I have with it is that I always want to surprise the recipient. I&#39;d much rather give them what they want, but I&#39;m too shy to bring it up.

Beautiful colors and quilting and I love that it&#39;s borderless as well. I love the beautiful swirly quilting! How fun and what a treasure! <br /><br />I think it&#39;s a great idea to ask the mom for colors. The last two wedding quilts I did, I asked the couples what colors or theme they preferred. The surprise is much less, but I still decided on the pattern and placement. I just handed