New Blocks + Fabric

I’ve been catching up on sewing some Bee blocks and now I need to catch up on sharing them. This star was paper-pieced for April in October. I am still working on my paper piecing skills, and this one was a good practice for me. I’ll admit I was a little cranky at first but after I got past the first three points, and past my impulse to not waste fabric (I think that’s an important hurdle with paper-piecing) I really enjoyed it.
I want to make more of these blocks. And I’m feeling a little more confident in my paper-piecing skills.  The pattern for this star can be found here. If you’re looking for some good paper-piecing basics, check out Faith’s tutorials.

The paper-piecing skills were honed even more piecing this modernish Dresden for Emily. Her quilt will consist of different colored wheels – I love the idea. I can’t wait to see the other colored blocks.  I’ll try and find out if there’s an available pattern for piecing this block.

Finally, this is my last block in Jackie’s Blogger’s Block of the Month.  This block was designed by Sarah Fielke and you can find the instructions here. There are lots of great blocks in this series, and of course, it’s never to late to join in – the block tutorials will always be available.

I bought that background fabric this summer at Pins and Needles in New York. It comes from Atsuko Matsuyama’s 30’s Collection for Lecien.

I love those vintage/retro 30’s inspired prints by Atsuko for Yuwa
Especially that kelly green with strawberries. I love a good kelly green.
I just ordered a bunch more from Kerri at Sew Deerly Loved to help complete my quilt. Also some Millie’s Closet by Lori Holt and Simple Life by Tasha Noel for Riley Blake.

Kerri has one of my favorite selections of Japanese import fabrics (love those mushrooms and bunnies!) and vintage inspired prints. I love using them in my i-spy quilts – they give them that cute, retro look. Thanks, Kerri!

And now, it feels good to be caught up on Bee blocks. On to Christmas sewing!

I forgot to mention, I had a little sewing ‘adventure’ over the past holiday weekend – I sewed a sewing machine needle through my left pointer finger! My husband thought I was crazy when I told him to take a picture of it before I had him pull it out. I won’t share the picture here, but I did share it on my Facebook page if you’re a thrill seeker and you’d like to see a needle sticking through one side of my finger and out the other.

Between rotary cutters, needles, swallowing pins, I think we sewers definitely qualify as ‘living on the edge’ extreme sports enthusiasts.

Your bee blocks look fantastic Amy! That star was tricky wasn't it? I am so glad to have the experience of making it! :0) Of course I adore your fabric purchases. Those tiny Japanese prints makes me swoon. :0) Kerri always has the cutest selections!! Have a great day! Trish xo

Ouch! I can sympathize with you. I have sewn my left pointer finger too and I also lost the tip of my thumb using an electric rotary cutter. I was very pleased that I had trimmed my nails the night before that adventure.<br /><br />Lovely blocks – as usual.

Gosh, Amy, you always have such beautiful colors in your blocks. I hope I can acquire that talent some day. Thank you for sharing all of your yummy fabric, as well.

oh, you are way ahead of me. I am practicing on my own Lone Starburst before I attempt to make April&#39;s. I didn&#39;t have the confidence to jump in and possibly ruin her fabrics. My paper piecing skills are a little rusty, but I&#39;m now getting the hang of it. And I still have this months Bee Block to do, and to complete Jackie&#39;s Bloggers Block of the Month quilt. I need to get

I love your first block with all those points. The fabric combination is great. I will be sure to check your blog again to see how you are coming on your quilting. I just finished a baby quilt where I serged strips with the seams showing to the right side then sewed the blocks together in the usual way. I will post the photo of that quilt shortly on my blog.<br />Barb from Toronto, Canada<br

Love the star and Dresden blocks. The image of the needled finger sounds painful. Whatever you are creating with all those lovely fabrics will surely be beautiful.

You lost me at &quot;needle sticking through one side of my finger and out the other.&quot; Gah!!! My worst fear {and no, I did not look at the picture}! <br /><br />Love your fabric combos!<br /><br />Ellen

Goodness gracious! A sewn finger, paper piecing adventures and pretty fabrics. What an action packed post! <br /><br /> Love the fabrics, they are very YOU and make me smile :)