Support your local quilt shop + a trunk show

Did you know that tomorrow, January 24, is Support Your Local Quilt Shop Day? It is. You can even tell your loved ones, who for some strange reason, may think you already have too much fabric, patterns,buttons, etc. I know that you were probably planning to scrub the grout between the tiles in your shower or sort your socks, but you really must set aside those distractions and do your civic duty and stimulate this fragile economy.
So in honor of SYLQSD I thought I’d share a weekend adventure from one of my own Local Quilt Shops (LQS). I’m pretty lucky- I have a great selection of LQS’s within a pleasant distance from my house. One of them is called Broadbents and it’s in an old ‘department’ store that was originally built in 1882 in Lehi, Utah.
It’s gradually been added on to over the years, and now part of it contains a great quilt shop. There is a lot of personality in that store. Not to mention a cool vintage sign outside.

I was invited to come share some of my quilts and my own quilting journey on Saturday morning at a meeting of the Utah County Modern Quilt Guild. First of all, some beautiful show and tell. Lots of projects from a recent half-square triangle challenge. I’m so in love with using that coral color as a contrasting solid!

Love the placement on this one.
 Another way cool layout.
 This one by Anna is from a Moda Bake Shop tutorial.
Loving the HST’s with the charcoal gray too.
This monogram was made entirely of scraps by Jill. (The person in the background with the camera was there representing a local newspaper. I haven’t seen the article yet. But I’m curious to see what comes of it and if she thought we were total weirdos.)
Then it was my turn to share a little about my quilts, my quilting philosophy and my quilt journey. (While the photographer is getting a great shot of my armpit.)

My friend Sydney took these pictures for me. I learned a lot about myself as I looked at them. Like apparently, I talk with my hands. Well, I knew that already, but now here’s photographic proof. This quilt is inspiring my “jazz hands” look.

And I make a lot of weird faces when I talk.
Finally, me showing off my air-guitar skills with a table runner.
(Not really.)

Thanks again Utah County MQG for inviting me to come hang out! So many fun people to visit with. Thanks to all those who came and for all the pretty inspiration. I really need to go back.

Now, don’t be a party pooper tomorrow! Go support your Local Quilt Shop. Guilt free. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Svetlana
    January 23, 2013 at 9:28 am

oh, love this post, lots of pretty quilts, and a good laugh, what else can one ask?

Jeanne W.
    January 23, 2013 at 10:00 am

You have some really pretty quilts, which is why I follow your blog! =) I love them. I also liked your faces and that you shared them! You are darling and made me smile.

diane
    January 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

our stores are not nearly as great as the stores in Utah. I'm going to Road to California quilt show this week. Hoping to find some great things there and get lots of ideas and inspiration

Becky
    January 23, 2013 at 10:17 am

What fun times! Thanks for sharing and I will have to visit a local quilt shop too. We used to have a lot more in our area, but so many have closed the last couple of years. It's really sad. Now I really have to search for them.

CathyK
    January 23, 2013 at 10:21 am

Great pictures! Love your funny comments! ๐Ÿ™‚

Calli Makes Do
    January 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

I wish I could have been there to see your show and tell! Broadbents is one of my favorite shops too!

Siobhรกn
    January 23, 2013 at 11:18 am

ROFLOL! Thanks for the laughs–your comments about the photos were great. I LOVED seeing all the pictures of the quilts, thanks for sharing!

Laura K
    January 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

I love Broadbent's! They are my closest local quilt shop. For some reason I always forget about them though. What is up with that? I alway find something I love when I go there but they just aren't on my radar much. I need to get over there tomorrow I guess. Along with a few others maybe? Thank you for reminding me!

Rebecca Grace
    January 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

I think the &quot;weird faces when you talk&quot; are great. And I love that quilt with the vivid coral fabric! I really don&#39;t have enough solids in my stash.<br /><br />Speaking of which, now that you&#39;ve ordered me to go fabric shopping tomorrow (I&#39;m going to tell my husband that it&#39;s all your fault), can you give some general advice as to how much of each fabric one should buy

amy smart
      January 23, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Such a good question. I&#39;m the same as you – I usually buy a half yard or a FQ of a new print that I like and it&#39;s almost always plenty because I like my quilts scrappy. But having a good selection of &#39;solid&#39; background fabrics is such a good idea. I would buy at least a couple yards of something that you like, maybe 3-4 if you&#39;re going to use it for a bigger quilt. My go-to

Glinda
    January 23, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I love all these quilts and would someday love to make a large quilt. As they say though starting small is best. So since I need a table runner for spring that is what I am going to start with. Don&#39;t have any idea what to do after I buy fabric or even how much fabric to buy, but I&#39;m up for the challenge. Thanks for the idea.

Anita
    January 23, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Great show and tell and funny comments!! I too always find I talk with my hand and have this sideways thing going on with my mouth…oh and the shruggy shoulder thing. Who knew I did that ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for starting my morning with a laugh!

Annette - "MyRoseValley"
    January 23, 2013 at 12:54 pm

You are so funny… Ha ha ha! Air guitar skills… Ha ha ha.

Katy Cameron
    January 23, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Alas, no LQS… still, the photos were great to perk up a dreary winter&#39;s evening :oD

Jenny Faasavalu
    January 23, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Amy, I love your blog because of the color. I haven&#39;t found any other blog that has as much color that I love! I have made three of those runners you were doing the air guitar on. Thanks for sharing that tutorial. It&#39;s quick and easy, yet looks so complicated!

Leslie
    January 23, 2013 at 3:16 pm

What a great group to be a part of and all those quilts are gorgeous! I was also excited to come across a post on Broadbents out in bloggyland! When I visit my hometown of Pl. Grove I love to stop at Broadbents with my mom and shop for quilting fabric.

Claire
    January 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Oh Amy you are so funny! Thanks for sharing all those great pics – lots of inspiration. Been meaning to ask – how&#39;s your Dad getting on?

lisagillies
    January 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm

What a lovely post. Loved seeing your quilts &amp; the HST quilts. Lots of pretties.

Melissa Wise
    January 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Oh so many lovely quilts and beautiful colors! Thanks for sharing this, Amy! I talk with my hands too. I&#39;ve tried to stop over the years but I&#39;ve come to the conclusion that it&#39;s just a part of your communication style. I think it shows you&#39;re passionate and animated about what you do.

Cindy
    January 23, 2013 at 5:59 pm

As always, your quilts are beautiful. I&#39;ll be working at the quilt store that I work at tomorrow so ill be sure to buy something.

Linda
    January 23, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Lol on the faces and air guitar. I think you are a doll, AND you have 2013&#39;s &quot;haircut of the year&quot;, according to The New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/fashion/the-karlie-or-chop-is-the-haircut-of-the-moment.html?_r=0

amy smart
      January 23, 2013 at 8:12 pm

YES! This is the first time I have ever been on the cutting edge of fashion!

Cindy
    January 23, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Beautiful quilts, Amy- thanks for sharing! I will be making a trip to my local quilt shop tomorrow. They&#39;re running a great sale on all fat quarters- can&#39;t hardly pass that up!!:)

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    January 23, 2013 at 7:48 pm

You are so cute Amy and I would be thrilled to attend your trunk show! No quilt shops within 30 miles and 20 below zero tomorrow morning so I don&#39;t know if I&#39;ll make it to a shop.

Tammy
    January 24, 2013 at 5:26 am

What beautiful quilts. Looks like it was a fun place to be. No quilt shops or fabric shops of anytype closest is an hour to a walmart with fabrics otherwise 2 hours to a Joanns fabric store.

MaterialGirlQuilts
    January 24, 2013 at 8:59 am

Looks like a great time and such beautiful inspiration. Thanks for such a great post and sharing your photos along with the funny commentary ๐Ÿ™‚ You are just adorable.<br />Amanda

Sarah Watson
    January 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Haha, your commentary is hilarious. Love those HST quilts, ideas, ideas!

Kris
    February 4, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Oh my goodness! Hahaha, I love your commentary on your pictures. The jazz hands and the air guitar had me laughing really hard.<br />Beautiful blog, glad I found you! I&#39;m not a quilter (yet), but I love the tradition of quilt making and the beauty of quilts. When I got married almost 6 years ago, we were given 2 quilts, 1 made by my sister-in-law, and one made by the ladies of my husband&#39;

Pamela
    February 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I love being a member of the Utah county MQG!! So sad to have missed your trunk show! What a treat for all the ladies.

Shari @For the Little Doll In Your Life
    February 10, 2013 at 5:05 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Shari @For the Little Doll In Your Life
    February 10, 2013 at 5:06 pm

That light blue quilt with the whale prints is cute. It also looks vaguely familiar. Have you posted about it before?