What’s your favorite Notion?

Notions. Those handy doohickey’s that save time, make things easier, and make quilting fun.
Moda... the Cutting Table
In honor of National Craft Month (one more good excuse to get your craft on!) the Moda Cuting Table blog is sharing favorite notions from various quilters and designers. Today I’m sharing a couple of my must-haves from the Notions department.

But do you want to know what my very favorite sewing accessory is? My donut pillow I got from the medical supply store when I had my third baby. It doesn’t look pretty but I love to sit on that thing while I sew. Someday I want to try one of those Balance Ball Chairs. Has anyone tried those? Do they work?

Do you have any favorite notions you want to share? Especially any of those really unconventional ones that make sewing better for you?

Barbie Mills
    March 7, 2013 at 1:34 pm

When I was teaching junior high I had an exercise ball instead of a chair at my computer. I'm not sure what it did for my core or posture, but let's just say I got really good at slouching with one leg crossed while sitting on an exercise ball. =) Having it in a chair like that looks interesting, I've never seen those before.

Anita
    March 7, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Haven't tried that balance ball chair, looks like you can get a workout while you sit! I've tried the Bungee Chair on sale right now at the Container Store…it is soooo comfy! Oh and bonus is it comes in pink ๐Ÿ™‚

Farm Road Ramblings
    March 7, 2013 at 1:44 pm

One of my favorite non-notion-notions is….rubber dish washing gloves for machine quilting. I had nice machine-quilting gloves, but lost them. I never seem to lost my dish washing gloves! And they work just fine.

Gina C.
    March 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I use tweezers to pull the thread longer on my sewing machine needle. I&#39;ve been stabbed one too many times. :)<br />

Dree
    March 7, 2013 at 4:00 pm

We have a balance ball (no fancy casters or anything, I&#39;ve never seen that!) as a chair at my husband&#39;s desk. It&#39;s not for posture, it&#39;s because an old chair broke, and he is too lazy to go get another. And I don&#39;t want to buy him a chair, he needs to try it out first, chair opinions can be kind of personal LOL.<br /><br />The biggest problems with it are: 1) it rolls away if

Lynne Tilley
    March 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I love my ratty old wrist pincushion that I&#39;ve had since 7th grade in the early 1970&#39;s. I just feel naked without it, even if I do stab myself occasionally. Old habits die hard!! ๐Ÿ™‚

maureen
    March 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I keep a grapefruit spoon (the kind with the serrated edge) with my quilting safety pins. The serrated edges catch the tips of the pins to close/open them. No more sore fingertips!

Thimbleanna
    March 7, 2013 at 4:42 pm

You should go on Instagram and ask CrimsonTateModernQuilter about her balance ball chair — she has one in the shop. I don&#39;t know if she likes it, but it&#39;s there! (She probably has a blog too, that might work!)

Katy Cameron
    March 7, 2013 at 4:46 pm

My favourite is the notion that I should be sewing more ;o) Wait, not that kind of notion? Well in which case it&#39;s my locking forceps that I use for everything from turning bears to stuffing them to pulling needles through really thick fabric layers!

jlk
    March 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I love my seam ripper that I got for Christmas. It&#39;s acrylic and is very stylish. And, bonus, every time my boy sees me use it, he gets the best look on his face because he knows he gave me something good.

Danielle Hudson
    March 7, 2013 at 5:59 pm

That&#39;s a HARD question! I&#39;m kinda of a notion whore!! If it looks cool, I&#39;ll buy it. But lately, my favorite is Wonder Clips. I held off on buying them for a while because they are so expensive. Around Christmas time, I used 2 50% off coupons and a 25% off total purchase at Joann&#39;s to buy 2 of the 50 count boxes. I love, love, love them! No more stabbing myself while doing binding

lifeinredshoes
    March 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm

YOU HAVE A RED SOFA!!!!! Where did you get it and are you happy with it???<br /><br />Notions….unpickers, that&#39;s how good I am ๐Ÿ™‚

amy smart
      March 8, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I do have a red sofa! It&#39;s second hand and pretty beat up these days, but I like the pop of color it brings into my bland family room. ๐Ÿ™‚

CathyK
    March 7, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Oh my! I thought I was the ONLY one who had one of those donuts! I broke my tail bone giving birth to my daughter and it still bothers me to this day (almost 21 years later!). I keep one of those with me because I know the old bum is gonna hurt if I have to sit for a long period of time!

Fred's Driver
    March 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I love my sewing weights for holding down pattern pieces, when necessary.

Wendy L
    March 7, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Good needles for hand stitching binding (I like the straw kind), and my surgical blade seam ripper. It made ripping all those 2.5 strips for my Scrappy Trip quilt a breeze!

Crafty Mamacita
    March 7, 2013 at 9:32 pm

A dress form. It always makes me look so professional when customers come into my home, and it&#39;s great to have a place to hand all my aprons.

One Little Birdie
    March 7, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I have 2 red couches! anyway, my favorite notion seems to be my olfa rotary cutter that your squeeze to open and release to shut. Also, my gingher scissors, small and have a red patterned handles. Best damned pair of scissors ever. so much so that I have 2 pair!

Vickie
    March 7, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I am totally sold on my clover seam rippers. I discovered them a while back and I pick one up every time I find them and give them for gifts. They are the best !

Esch House Quilts
    March 8, 2013 at 6:42 am

My Roxanne thimble is my favorite notion – I can&#39;t hand sew without it!

MaureenM
    March 8, 2013 at 6:47 am

I love to read all the favorites! I think mine might have to be my big June Tailor clear acrylic ruler…seriously a beast because it&#39;s 6&quot;x24&quot;and has color coded markings. My other favorite is not a notion but I found a 6 foot long plastic table at Lowes that is hinged in the middle so it folds for storing! (usually only the 4 ft ones fold). So much easier for cutting fabric on

pat/susie/resortmom
    March 8, 2013 at 9:02 am

I&#39;ve had the slotted ruler…shape cut…for years! I&#39;m addicted to using it…it cuts at inch or half inch increments and is very accurate…I&#39;ve almost worn it out!

Gretchen
    March 8, 2013 at 9:16 am

I have two favorites: tiny singer sewing scissors from the grocery store (they are amazing) and blue painters tape that i use for sewing triangles,etc.

QuiltyGirl
    March 8, 2013 at 11:17 am

We have a balance ball, but I&#39;m always finding pins in the carpet around my sewing area, so I don&#39;t use it when sewing. ;)<br /><br />I think my fav notions right now are the little red clover clippies. They make machine stitched binding so much easier!

amy smart
    March 8, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I am loving all these notions – ranging from the sentimental to the practical. It sounds like I need to get some of those Clover binding clips. I&#39;ll have to start saving my JoAnn coupons!

Caroline
    March 8, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I use at balance ball chair! I got it when I was pregnant with my first and it was great to bounce and soothe her, now in front of the sewing machine I wouldn&#39;t use anything else, although I keep meaning to take the wheel lock off, if possible. My heal will click it and lock me from sliding fluidly – but that&#39;s my only complaint.

Laura
    March 10, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I have a balance ball chair and have used it as my sewing chair until my three year old popped it with a pencil. The replacement ball they sent me isn&#39;t quite the right size so I have to solve that before I can use it again. Gives me cushioned support and works my muscles a little ๐Ÿ™‚