Virtual Quilting Bee Block #1 by Sherri

It’s here! It’s finally time to start cutting and sewing!

Today we have the first block tutorial for block #1 of the Virtual Quilting Bee! If you’re new and you’re wondering what the Virtual Quilting Bee is: go here.

This block was designed by Sherri of A Quilting Life and she will be sharing her tutorial on her blog today.

And here is the same block in the more traditional prints from Happy Go Lucky. Isn’t it amazing to see how the change in fabrics and colors changes the whole look of the block?

You only need to make 1 block for the quilt we will be making, but you can always make more if you want a bigger finished quilt or multiple quilts. 🙂

Keep in mind that these blocks will be 8″ finished (that means when it is part of the finished quilt) meaning they will measure 8 1/2″ unfinished (when you have the block pieced, but before it’s part of a finished quilt.).  Feel free to ask any questions in the comments. I will answer them there.

I’m so excited to see all the variations that people create. Feel free to share yours on the Virtual Quilting Bee Flickr Group if you like!

And don’t forget, our next block tutorial will be in TWO weeks. Lots of time to make your block. Or two. 😉

lindaharre
    March 8, 2013 at 8:10 am

Lovin the floral block! Thanks for the inspiration….I will try this:^)

Lynn
    March 8, 2013 at 8:53 am

Yay! Can't wait to get started then it will be can't wait till next blck :0)

Krysta
    March 8, 2013 at 8:58 am

Just waiting for my fabric to arrive! I am excited to get started on this. I am doing this quilting bee with my sister, who I encouraged to join so she could learn to quilt. She's been wanting to try quilting for awhile, but has been hesitant. I figured if we did this together, I could help her with any questions or problems she has along the way. So thanks for putting this together, Amy!

scrosske
    March 8, 2013 at 9:18 am

I was so excited to see this posted this morning–got right on my block! Posted a pick to the flickr group 🙂

Mrs. West
    March 8, 2013 at 9:23 am

I am SO excited! My solids came in the mail earlier this week and I&#39;ve been dying to cut them.<br /><br />I wanted to thank you for putting this together- it comes at the perfect time for me. I taught myself to quilt about a year ago– mostly using your tutorials! Now that I&#39;ve got this basics down, this is the perfect way to learn more. Thank you!!

PamKittyMorning
    March 8, 2013 at 9:54 am

So cute!

Bekka_Sails
    March 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Katy Cameron
    March 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Love how you&#39;ve shown 2 different variations

Rebecca Grace
    March 8, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I&#39;m very impressed by the pattern matching across the seam line in the second block — the way that the big rose flows right across the seam with the pattern perfectly matched. That must have taken some serious planning!

trish
    March 8, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Sherri&#39;s block was so fun!!<br />I posted mine this afternoon<br />on the flickr page! :o)

KristiLynne
    March 8, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Before I start, I&#39;ve never made a quilt without prewashing the fabrics. This quilt will be my first one. I&#39;ve accumulated a stash of high quality fabrics. Is it OK if I mix fabrics from different places, as long as they are high quality?<br />

amy smart
      March 8, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Yes. I do it all the time. If they&#39;re all great quality you should be fine!<br />

Wendy L
    March 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I just finished mine! Sherri did a great job with the tutorial. Thanks for hosting!<br /><br />(http://cabinfibers.blogspot.com/2013/03/virtual-quilting-bee-block-1.html)

SewBlinkey.blogspot.com
    March 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Alright!! I will get to this on Monday. Thanks so much!

Gooses Bags and Gifts
    March 8, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Will there be a PDF copy of the tutorial available with cutting instructions, etc?

amy smart
      March 10, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Good question. I did not require that of the guest blogger/designers because they&#39;re helping us out of the goodness of their hearts, but I will suggest it for future blocks if they have the time.<br /><br />If not, you have my (our) permission to copy the post and paste it into a word doc and then save as a PDF for your personal use. (You can even resize type, pics, etc. to condense if you

amy smart
      March 11, 2013 at 9:11 pm

See Lisa&#39;s helpful comment below: There&#39;s a bookmark you can add to your browser at printfriendly.com that will let you make a nice PDF from any web page.

Kaitlin @ Wunderbar
    March 10, 2013 at 5:36 am

That was so much fun! I don&#39;t know how I&#39;ll be able to wait two weeks for the next block.

Lisa in Port Hope
    March 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Maybe you&#39;ve answered this already, but what finished size would the quilt be with the 16 blocks plus setting? I&#39;m planning on giving the finished product to my nephew, so it needs to be a queen size, and I&#39;m wondering if I should do extra blocks as we go along?

amy smart
      March 10, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Good question! As of right now the plan is to create a quilt about 66&quot; x 66&quot;. So yes, if you&#39;d like to make a bigger quilt, I would make 42 blocks.

Maggie
    March 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm

So cute! I&#39;ve gotta jump into this one! I love stars!

Jeanette
    March 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I&#39;d like to do this quilt in solids. How many colors should I buy and how much of each color?

amy smart
      March 11, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I think a bundle of 24 fat 1/8th would be enough. (Three shades of red, three shades of orange, three shades of yellow, three shades of warm green (limeish), three shades of cool green(mint, teal), three shades of aqua/turquoise, three shades of royal/denim/navy blue, three shades of purple). The shades of each color would have to be light, medium, and dark with enough contrast that if they are

Lisa in Port Hope
    March 11, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Re the PDF question, there&#39;s a bookmark you can add to your browser at printfriendly.com that will let you make a nice PDF from any web page.

amy smart
      March 11, 2013 at 9:09 pm

AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing Lisa!

familyhammond
    March 14, 2013 at 8:16 am

My Happy Go Lucky Fabric is on its way!!! I cant wait to get started on this 🙂

SewBlinkey.blogspot.com
    March 14, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I finished one tonight but of course cut it down to 8 in. I am so disappointed that I didn&#39;t check the instructions. I did have it at 8 1/2. It makes me want to cry.

amy smart
      March 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Oh no! I&#39;ve done that before. It stinks. Don&#39;t stress too much. You could still use it (you might loose your star points) with this layout. <br /><br />We&#39;ve all been there!<br />