New Quilt + New Sarah Jane Collection

There has been some serious sewing going on behind the scenes around here, but nothing I could share yet. Until today! Woo! This quilt is made with Sarah Jane’s brand new collection for Michael Miller called Let’s Pretend. And there is a free pattern for this quilt here.

Like Sarah Jane’s last two collections, this collection celebrates childhood and comes in two basic colorways – girl themed and boy themed. And, as with the last two, they play so nicely together! This collection is called Let’s Pretend and celebrates all the fun make-believe that kids create. There are forts, masks, blocks, crowns, tea parties, puppets, and dress-up dinosaurs. You can see more about Let’s Pretend on the Sarah Jane Studios blog.

I was lucky enough to play with some of the Charade collection.  I love that Sarah has a great collection for boys, that is totally unique to her. The color palette for this collection is so fresh – I was excited to get to create something with it! I feel very lucky to get to play with Sarah Jane’s fabrics when they’re hot off the press.  Sarah Jane lives not far from me and after admiring her work for years, has become a wonderful real life friend.

Let's Pretend Sarah Jane Studios fabric

We decided a simple design with large shapes would show off the fabric best. And I think it turned out so cool! Very contemporary and very boy. There will be a free downloadable PDF for this pattern in the very near future. This quilt was quilted with lightening speed by awesome Melissa of Sew Shabby Quilting.

My favorite prints in this colorway include the cute crowns – a great variation on a traditional polk-a-dot, the orange harlequin diamonds and the colorful blocks. I loved playing with blocks growing up – especially the colorful kind. Maybe that is why I love quilting now…

This collection also includes another great illustrated border print of children in full-on make-believe mode. I predict this will be another hot print, just like the children on parade from Sarah Jane’s first collection, Children at Play.

The backing on this quilt is the called The Best Fort Ever. Forts are pretty much one of the best parts of childhood! Some days I wish I could still build forts. Actually, my sewing room is so out of control at the moment, it pretty much looks like a haphazard fort.

Let’s Pretend fabrics will be in your favorite quilt shops in June!

Comments

Love this one Amy – nice to see a quilt that suits little boys :) Can't wait to get my hands on some of the grey crown fabric (I can see that being very versatile) and the PDF pattern!

Gorgeous… absolutely perfect for a little boy! Love that mask print! And the forts! <br />We do Fort Friday over here, so i&#39;m definitely going to be picking up yardage of that!

I love it! When I saw the new fabric on Sarah Jane&#39;s blog, I suspected that this was another one of your creations, and I was so hoping for a pattern/tutorial. I am so happy that one will be coming soon!<br /><br />The quilt is so wonderful, and yes, I love the big triangles that show off the fabric yet keep with the &quot;whimsy&quot; of the print. Thanks for the inspiration!

Backing fabric is oh so awesome….I remember when my two would make forts inside and out! But I think the blocks pattern is my fav…love, colorful wooden blocks!!

Oh how adorable Amy! I really like how you captured the prints <br />in you quilt. :o) That border is super duper cute! :o)

I LOVE these fabrics! Also, I like your idea of buiding a fort in the sewing room. In fact, that sounds like a good linky party idea — let&#39;s all build forts in our sewing rooms and link up. Why should kids have all the fun? :-)

I LOVE this fabric. Having 3 boys, the castles and masks make me want to cry. It&#39;s not often I see fabric that&#39;s great for grade-school age boys. love it love it.

Amy, that is one kool quilt. i tried doing the tutorial on Anna Marias&#39; blog where it says Janome and me. I did poorly when it cam to sewing my pyramids. They are always off slightly. Do you make the triangle ends meet or do you leave a 1/4 inch when sewing them together ?? Thanks for the help. Izzy

• says

Yes. When you match up sides, leave 1/4 inch &#39;tag&#39; of length above the second triangle. Your seam allowance should intersect where those two sides match up. I will try do a triangle tutorial when the PDF comes out!

Love the quilt! The back sounds absolutely wonderful. Can&#39;t wait to see the whole print. I am glad there are people who care about boys and make fabric for them. My son wants a new quilt. I may have to investigate this further… :-) Thanks for sharing! K-

I can&#39;t believe the prints that Sarah came up with, My son has a quilt that I&#39;m currently working on a quilt for his birthday and I had a terrible time looking for fabric for the quilt. I picked fire trucks and solid blue for the colors because there was such a lack of prints for boys. To see this wonderful quilt with such beautiful prints is just amazing.

Hello from Australia!!<br />Did you ever print the plan for this quilt? I love it and think it&#39;ll be perfect for my little man.<br /><br />Thanks in Advance. Sarah.