Giant Indie Star Quilt

Guess what friends? I actually sewed. And I even finished a project. Finally something to share!

The story of this quilt began last Christmas when I made a paper-pieced star pillow for my Grandma using a few pieces of Pat Bravo’s Indie collection for Art Gallery Studios. My sister really liked the pillow, so I decided to use the rest of my Indie pieces to make her family a quilt.  I’ve always wanted to try Jeni Baker’s Giant Star Tutorial, and this turned out to be the perfect project. I made one modification, and that was the scrappy, pieced-border so that I could make the quilt just slightly bigger and use up the rest of the scraps in the process.

I love the rich colors of this Indie collection. The patterns and colors are so gorgeous together.Very outside of my usual primary-color comfort zone, but I think that’s what made me love it even more. I felt more exotic. :) The Indie collection came out last year at this time, but it’s still available from the Fat Quarter Shop and Moona Fabrics.
This project was quilted by Melissa Kelley of Sew Shabby Quilting. Because there is so much ‘negative space’, I wanted I busy-ish pattern that would create some texture in the background of the star. This “swirls” pattern turned out so awesome. Melissa is great! I used Robert Kaufman’s Quilter’s Linen (not real linen, but subtle printed lines to create the look of linen) for the background. I think it’s one of my new favorite neutral fabrics. It “reads solid”, but the subtle lines create more depth to the fabric. I want to stock-up in a bunch of shades and colors.
Yay. Feels so good to finally take something out of the work-in-progress pile. Also, thanks for the well-wishes on my epic fall last week. I’m happy, and relived, to report that my hand continues to improve daily. Whew.

Comments

It is beautiful Amy, I'm sure your sister and her family will cherish it always. speaking of family, I have been wondering how your dear Dad is getting on.

This is stunning. Your fabric choice is perfect. I can see one of these on my "to do" list. Thanks for sharing such a great quilt.

Oh, I love it!!!! It seems the quilts I make out of my color &quot;comfort zones&quot; are the ones I love most! Weird! <br />Thanks for sharing!

Really beautiful. I love these big single block quilts, they really show off the fabrics so well. Your border is beautiful, it really makes the quilt.

Absolutely stunning!! I love the colors in this and the pieced border is divine! I&#39;ve got a giant star cut, but not yet sewn in shades of purple. I may dig through my scraps and see if I have enough to do a border like that.

I love everything about this: the not-so-solid background fabric, the bright colours in the star, the scrappy border and the giant pieces. I also looks like a fun, easy project to make.

This is gorgeous! You created a real gem and you&#39;re photos rocked too! I&#39;m tempted to purchase some Indie fabric now too, if only my stash wasn&#39;t so full already!

This is making me want to sew something really bad. But, I&#39;m still in the &quot;sew or shower&quot; phase. Summer with a newborn is kicking my behind!

size of blocks? size of quilt? It&#39;s lovely, and here in Texas, we like our STARS! I just finished blocks for a &quot;super star&quot; quilt, and would like this for a companion—or what about as the back to make the quilt reversible?!

This is a gorgeous quilt. I have been eyeing that giant star tutorial, wanting to make one myself. But I&#39;m ssoooo glad that I was busy with other projects because your addition of the pieced brick border takes it to a whole new level of awesomeness!! Now I can&#39;t wait to make one.

This is one of my favorite quilt patterns. I have made 2 and never thought to add a border. Guess I will be makin another because I love how yours looks with the border.

Gosto muito do seu blog e do seu trabalho. Hoje divulguei seus lindos quilts no meu blog. Um abraço, Simone.<br />I love your blog and your work. Today divulged her beautiful quilts on my blog. Regards, Simone.

Your quilt if beautiful and I love the fabrics. The quilter&#39;s linen is something I would like to use in a project soon. It is always great to finish a quilt. That reminds me I should put the binding on a couple of quilts so that they are complete. Have a great weekend.

This came out so fabulously! I love your choice of a warm tone for the Essex linen background, and that scrappy border is super! Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you&#39;re all better! n