Vintage Finds

I have wanted to create a plate wall in my kitchen for some time, so I’ve been on the lookout for pretty plates for some time. Committing to holes in my wall is something I’m pathetically slow about. But as I’ve accumulated enough plates that I like, I think I’m going to finally bite the bullet and hang the plates. Maybe. I’ll share pictures when they are finally on the actual wall.
Some are plates that were my Grandma’s, some are plastic melamine from Target, and some are vintage finds from the thrift store. So while I had the plates out, I thought I’d share a few of recent thrift-store finds with some cool, graphic designs.

While we’re on the subject, a few other recent vintage finds. Cool vintage buttons still on their original cards.
I am totally digging these vintage, melamine (plastic) teacups. I haven’t decided what to do with them – maybe make them into pincushions?
I love the colors…

Finally, a vintage crocheted granny-square blanket that caught my eye. I’ve seen them from time to time, but never actually bought one. I liked the colors and size of this one and the price was right, so I went for it. Still not sure what I’m going to do with it though.

And finally, believe it or not, I’ve actually done some sewing. It’s been a while but perhaps by the end of this week I’ll actually have something finished to share. It would have been today, except last week I took a massive trip off my front porch and broke the fall with my right hand/wrist on the cement three-steps down. Turns out your right hand comes in pretty handy. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s just a bad bruise and that it will continue to get better. If only someone had got that fall on video, I could have put it on YouTube and made a fortune. It had to have been an entertaining moment for the neighbors.

Comments

Owwwwwww. What&#39;d you want to go do that for? :P<br /><br />What&#39;s melamine? Is it that plastic stuff that feels like china? So it&#39;s like china except pretty much child-proof?

Vintage plates are kinda of like fabric, and hanging them on your wall is like making a quilt. I am drawn to them too, just like fabric!

Love the melamine tea cups. My grandmotehr had cups like that when I was little. I wish I had been older when she passed so I could have gotten some of her possessions. I sure do miss her and going to her house….Their was allways lots of goodies and plenty of fabric and quilts .

So sorry about your fall :( but thank you for sharing the vintage finds! I have a love for vintage glassware and dishes. I may need more cabinet space at some point…:)

So sorry to hear about your fall. Hope your hand heals up without any problems. Love the granny square afghan. What beautiful colors all meshed together.

Oh Amy so sorry to hear about your fall, hope you heal quickly. I took a tumble a few weeks back in a parking lot, uneven pavement and I was looking down in my purse, next thing I know I&#39;m trying in vain to gain back my balance but go down hard on my forearms, elbows, then some rolling over, ugh! Just scraps and bruises, no broken bones (thank you calcium supplements), one bystander and he

I like a lot your blog!!! You have really nice ideas and works. Thank you to share it. Since now i&#39;m following you. A lot of kisses from Barcelona. Montse of lesmiliunaidees.blogspot.com

You found some wonderful items there! I love the idea of pin cushions for those cups. Super cute! I hope your hand and wrist heal quickly!!

oh no! Lets hope it&#39;s not broken, and that your hand/ wrist heals quickly. Summer is winding down here in Arizona, and kids go back to school next Monday (even with triple digit temps). Best of luck with all you are trying to do.

Oh I can&#39;t wait to see your plate wall! I also hang plates, my husband questions my sanity, but oh well!<br />You found some real gems. I went to the Salt Lake Flea Market for the 1st time this weekend and was pleasantly surprised at what I found. I saw some of your fun cups, even some in espresso size :)<br /><br />P.S. Have you finished that wonderful grandmothers flower garden quilt top

I LOVE the top plate, it&#39;s the exact pattern of the one my granddad used to serve me my sandwiches on when i was little girl! hope we get to see pics of the finish wall! Cate x

I can&#39;t wait to see your plate wall. If I had a free wall in my kitchen I would love to do that! I love the color of the cups as well…so retro and inspiring. Sorry about your fall and hope your wrist mends quickly.

fun finds! I love those teacups. The shape and colors are great! Great colors in the throw too. And, buttons are always good finds. I&#39;ve been collecting plates too. And, like you, I&#39;m slow about hanging them. Just can&#39;t seem to find the perfect place and configuration…yet.

So sorry about your fall. I too hope nothing is broken, but if it is it will heal! I know since I broke my arm several times growing up , I stayed in a cast so long I learned how to write with my left hand… HA HA! Anyway your finds are wonderful , I especially love the granny square afgan, the colors are tremendous and think of the time someone put into making these. They are a treasure! Hope

Yikes! I&#39;m sure that was (and still is) painful! I hope you heal quickly, and I appreciate the time and effort you made to create today&#39;s post. I love seeing your great finds!

Ouch! Hope you mend soon. I remember my Grandmother had Melamine dishes and all of us kids thought they were ssooooooooo cool. We loved going to Gramma&#39;s house — but eating on those melamine dishes made it way better! :-)

My grandparents have the green (mintish) melamine coffee cups. I will always have wonderful memories of my grandpa drinking coffee every morning in the summers growing up ;) They are in the same shape as your blue cup. Hope you feel better soon.

Ooh Amy! Do hope your wrist/hand is ok. I broke my elbow a few years ago in a fall, so I can share your pain and embarrassment with the neighbours!! Love the melamine cups – perfect for pincushions!!

So sorry about your hand, hope it heals quickly. That third plate down – the dark gold with the brown motif – we bought that entire set from the Humpty Dumpty Grocery Store when we bought our first house (about 1971). It had so many extra pieces (butter dish, coffee pitcher, etc) that you don&#39;t see these days. Have fun with your collection.

Lots of fun vintage finds! Plate wall decor is a great idea! I have a blank wall I should do something like that with, but I&#39;m not sure which plates I would choose. We at least have a DI close by, so will keep a lookout. Hope your hand heals quickly!

I love that when I read his post I saw my inlaws plates, dark brown-honey colored ones. They are now mine. What a fun idea. Then buttons wow- when my grandma passed away I inherited her buttons and have many on cards. love them

Fab shopping haul, but boo for the hand-meets concrete moment! I have been that person, but on the plus side, I can now use the mouse with my left hand ;o) Hope it&#39;s feeling better!