Scenic Road Trip Binding

There has been a lot going on behind the scenes around here. I’ve had the chance work with some new fabric collections that will be debuting this week at Quilt Market. I got to do some stunt-double sewing for Vanessa Christenson using her new collection Simply Happy Color. Since they are not mine to share, the full reveal will come after Vanessa has shown them off.
I did some of the cutting for these quilts but the piecing and quilting was done by my friend Erika, and then she handed them off to me to hand-bind. I actually love binding (it’s one of the only times I let myself just sit and watch TV) and I took some of them with me to work on during our car ride during fall break.

Speaking of car rides, here’s where we went! I just have to share a few pictures from our Fall Break vacation because I think the scenery is pretty unique and pretty spectacular. We went to a place called Bryce Canyon National Park. It’s here in the state of Utah – about 3 1/2 hours from our house and one of my favorite places.

We visited for the first time on our way home from Zion Nation Park a couple of years ago. (That was also the trip where my husband held a quilt on a precipice, of his own free will and choice.) We only had a short time and were so impressed with Bryce, we decided we needed to plan a trip back where we could spend more time.
Thanks (No thanks!) to the government shutdown, it almost didn’t happen since the National Parks were closed. Fortunately the Governor of Utah brokered a deal with the Feds to let the State run the National Parks and we were still able to visit. (Thank you Governor Herbert.)
Yes, that is real. Come visit sometime!

Comments

Bryce Canyon is scheduled as a must-see for our next road trip (hopefully 2014 or 2015?) Your photos are beautiful. Can't wait to see the rest of Vanessa's new collection ~ it's definitely on my wish list already ~ thanks for sharing!!

I LOVE Bryce as well! I'm from Colorado but I live in Florida now so a lot of the people around me are from the East Coast and have no idea what parks to visit when they go out west. I always recommend Bryce. I'd love to get back there since my husband has never been!

• says

Lol! My boys love to climb on rocks and actually kept trying but those hoodoos are so fragile they were dying when we wouldn't let them. Next stop, Goblin Valley. 😉

Such gorgeous scenery. Zion and Bryce are on my bucket list of things to see and visit. I can sure see why you wanted to go back – it's just stunning.

Props to your governor! What a mess. I visited Acadia National Park in Maine the week before the shutdown, and was so relieved that our timing worked out! I'll bet Congress ruined a lot of vacations, among other things. :( Glad you guys got to go on yours!

Hi Amy! I love USA! I've been in Grand Canyon, Zion, Sequoia and Yosemite Park, during my Honeymoon. All of them are amazing!!! Waiting for seeing your works with these nice fabrics! ; – ) Best regards! Montse of lesmiliunaidees.blogspot.com

How nice of you to help Vanessa! Her patterns using this line are so darn cute- I can't wait for the collection! Your pictures are stunning!! Absolutely beautiful! I definitely need to plan a road trip in the near future! Thanks for sharing!

Great pics. We love Bryce Canyon and Zion. If you ever get a chance make a trip to Bryce just after it snows. Completely different and absolutely amazing because of the contrast.