58 In my ramblings

In a Funk

I’ll just come right out and say it: I’m in a funk at the moment. There’s my Virtual Quilting Bee solids quilt-in-progress. My plan all week was to have it sashed and ready to share, but I got a stomach bug for a couple of days that wiped me out a little bit. That, compounded with a few urgent deadlines, and I’ve found myself in a creative funk. Last night I was a little stressed about not having it ready to share this week, and then I realized, it’s okay to just be real about what’s going at the moment.

I don’t generally share every up and down of my life because I know that everyone who visits this space has their own share of life’s ups and downs. I tend to visit the internet to escape life’s downs and get inspired and uplifted, so I usually want to try to write the kind of content that I hope will inspire and uplift. But at the same time I don’t want anyone who visits this space to think that life is always sunshine and roses and new projects all the time. We all go through times when we need to step back and recharge. It’s been a taxing fall for me, and I guess I’ve reached that point. But I know I’ll come out of it.

Sometimes I start to get in to “race-mode” thinking that everything has to be done, just right, right now. And it doesn’t. Some important things do, but not everything

Here is where I started to go with this sashing, and I’m just not loving it. I’ll step away for another day and then get some trusted second opinions when I sew with some friend this weekend. I think that will be a great re-charger. Hopefully by next week I’ll have a final reveal before we talk quilting on Friday.

So, in the mean time, if you’re having your own creative, emotional, spiritual, or physical, etc. funk right now, just know we’re all in this together. Step away. Do what works to recharge your non-funk-juices. Better to recognize and recharge early, before the funk gets deep.

Paula @ Sewy Stuff
    November 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Those blocks / sashings are wonderful! Love the bright colors and the varied block patterns.

sophie
    November 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Amen! being creative is not always easy!! we expect a lot from ourselves but you are right to take some time off! relax and step back and I am sure you will be back in full swing soon! I love what you create and you are on top of my list of inspirational quilters : this is great sashing: very unique! love it actually. hugs from France

Kim M
    November 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Everyone has those times when they need to recharge! And for what it is worth, I think the sashing looks awesome.

ga447
    November 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Wow, that was me the other night, I am working on something for my family and I just wanted to get it done and move on. What I did was stop and start again the next day, it got a little better but I can't wait till it is finished and then move on to what I love doing my charity quilts.

Gotcha Covered Quilting
    November 8, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I actually really like your sashing. Yah, I feel ya with the funk thing. Sometimes my funk is from my mind spinning too much and then I kind of spin to a stand still. I'm taking a break from all projects with deadlines this weekend. Instead, I'm going to start my Dear Jane quilt (to be completed by 2025 or so). it's completely different from anything I've ever done and I&#39

Live a Colorful Life
    November 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Sometimes I feel like I&#39;m the only one who gets in a creative funk, so it&#39;s always reassuring to know that everyone goes through that at one time or another. Yours will pass so be gentle with yourself.<br /><br />I actually really like the direction this is heading. Yes, step back and revisit in another day or two. <br /><br />Hugs.

Lynn
    November 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Glad to know I&#39;m not the only one :0) this too will pass …

charlotte
    November 8, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I really like the sashing. But I get it. When I am not feeling a project, I have to walk away for a few days and look at it then, with fresh eyes. You&#39;re right. Deal with the funk before it gets deep.

Sewing Mom
    November 8, 2013 at 4:44 pm

We can all appreciate you being real…no worries! I think the progress you&#39;re making looks amazing!

Sally
    November 8, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I&#39;m loving the sashing. Seeing your pic I felt inspired. Also – I don&#39;t just come to the interwebs to be uplifted and inspired… I also come to know that I am not alone. Thanks for keeping it real.

BillieBee (billiemick)
    November 8, 2013 at 5:25 pm

When my sewing is stressful, I just stop and take a break….sometimes too long. My sewing is only for my pleasure. My problem is I love all the QALs, but can no way to them all. I&#39;m a slow sewer. I can make one block and someone else can do a quilt in the same amount of time….grin.<br /><br />I really like your sashing. I made a pillow where the sashing pieces were not all the same

Melissa Corry
    November 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Sorry to hear you are under the weather. No fun!! If I were closer I would run over with some Chicken Soup 🙂 I am sure it will pass as will the funk. You have had a very busy month for sure, just kick your feet up and watch some Pride and Prejudice. You&#39;ve earned it!

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight
    November 8, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Thanks for keeping it real! I love that!

Gooses Bags and Gifts
    November 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I love the sashing. But it&#39;s almost too colorful for those blocks. The sashing is fantastic tho.

Paula@TheSassyQuilter
    November 8, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for sharing and being honest! I just did a post on why my whole house looks like this. Quilt explosion over here. I hate when I am so far in and not loving it. I think it looks great, but I know it is better when we feel it ourselves. Take some time and recharge girl! You deserve it.

CathyK
    November 8, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Thank you so much, Amy, for keeping it real. That is one of the reasons I enjoy your Blog. You are so down to Earth and honest. Your quilts are amazing, as well!

amy smart
      November 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thank you Cathy, that means a lot!

Katie
    November 8, 2013 at 7:05 pm

This post could not have been more timely for me. I am currently trying to find my way out of my own funk and your words helped. Here&#39;s to looking to the brighter side and finding love, light and inspiration waiting for us 🙂

sarahquilts.com
    November 8, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Thanks for being honest. 🙂 Take as much time as you can and then dive back in!

Nana
    November 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Funk or no funk…..I thing the sashing is out standing!!!! Love the designs and colors…….Find your groove and get back to it.

Jennifer
    November 8, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Oh my goodness, I LOVE that sashing!!! It looks like a ton of work but I love how it ties all of the colors in together. I hope you fall in love with it too, it really is beautiful!

Lynda
    November 8, 2013 at 9:47 pm

if you are not liking it I understand not being able to continue. what about sashing with white, then using the colored blocks as a border, then another border of white – I think this would work….

Carol D.
    November 8, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I totally understand the funk thing. I had a cold this last week that knocked me out for a couple of days and then a couple more where I just couldn&#39;t seem to get the energy to get motivated. I always hate losing good work time but sometimes we don&#39;t get a choice. Hopefully the break will refresh our brains for a new start.

Kristy
    November 8, 2013 at 11:37 pm

We totally understand getting sidetracked. I finally got to finish my tumbling charms top today after it sitting almost finished for 3 weeks! I did want to say that I really love what you have done with the sashing so far. It is very pretty and bright and seems to bring out each block nicely. But you have a rest and make your own decision. Enjoy the time with your friend. K-

Jade Prosser
    November 8, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Thank you so much for that post! You are being inspirational and uplifting in a different kind of way. I&#39;ve been stressing out over a quilt (one of many) that absolutely needs to be done, and I wanted it done by today. But life being life, with three kids and a never ending cold, means it&#39;s not. I think when we pressure ourselves too much we lose the joy in creating. Hang in there. This

Jade Prosser
      November 8, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Sorry… That was supposed to say &quot;sashing&quot;

Patti
    November 8, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Oh my goodness! I think that sashing is so stunning! It really makes your blocks stand out!<br />I wouldn&#39;t change a thing. Seriously! <br />It&#39;s really funny but I have been folllowing you making the virtual quilting bee thing your doing and I really wasn&#39;t that into the blocks but now that you have added the sashing I think it&#39;s so beautiful.<br />Funny how you are u sure

Michelle Carlson
    November 9, 2013 at 2:00 am

You&#39;re quilt is coming out beautifully. 🙂 Thank you for posting this, there are plenty of times when I&#39;m working on something and I feel as if my skills aren&#39;t as good as the next person. I know we&#39;re all human but when you see people turning out beautiful work time and again, then looking at your mediocre work it does get a bit unnerving at times. I&#39;m glad to hear there is

Qltr89
    November 9, 2013 at 2:10 am

When I get in a funk I take a break by reading a romance novel. It works every time.

nerospost
    November 9, 2013 at 5:16 am

Hi Amy! Sorry but I love it! I love the little bright colour squares for the sashing! i think most of us feel the same like you. Sometimes we start to run too fast and then one moment realize that everything can wait till the next time. Bogging is absolutely a place to escape and for fun things but now and then it&#39;s good to be reminded that it&#39;s not only sunshine (even here in Greece it&#

Jennifer Houlden
    November 9, 2013 at 6:42 am

I can understand where you are coming from Amy, I too have been crazy busy and last week designed a quilt that I just wasn&#39;t happy with. I have set it aside for now and will start again – maybe down the road I will like it better. Stepping back is good as we often put unrealistic goals on ourselves and think that everything has to be done now – it has taken me time to learn that it doesn&#39;

Marie Atkinson
    November 9, 2013 at 7:31 am

Yes we all have those days when we just don&#39;t feel up to the challenge, thanks for being real. <br />Now I hope you get encouraging words from your &quot;trusted&quot; advisors, I think the sashing is great! My first reaction to the picture was &quot;candy fun!&quot; Not all quilts are going to be our favorites and sometimes you just have to keep going even though you aren&#39;t feeling it.

barb
    November 9, 2013 at 7:49 am

I love your quilt! All the bright colors and quilt block patterns i havent seen before. In my opinion, sometimes letting people know you are in the &quot;doldrums&quot; makes them feel closer to you because they go through the same thing. I feel like when i read a blog and they talk about their lives i.e. kids, pets, hoarding fabric, sickness etc. It feels more personal and makes a stronger

Ginny
    November 9, 2013 at 7:56 am

So sorry you are under the weather and not feeling it, I think most have been there and appreciate you keeping it real. Everyone deserves some down time and I am sure you will be back with creative juices flowing soon.

lawson7616
    November 9, 2013 at 8:35 am

I&#39;m loving that sashing!

Mary Zoom
    November 9, 2013 at 8:38 am

Thanks for sharing – Love that picture of your sewing studio! Makes me feel less guilty and more normal. Hope you feel better soon!

Leanne
    November 9, 2013 at 9:40 am

I hope you are feeling recharged soon, and you are so totally right about sometimes it is right to just pause everything that can be paused and take time to regroup and think.

Jenny
    November 9, 2013 at 10:11 am

Good luck. Hope you find your inspiration soon. Clean up that room and clear your head!

Deborah DeBerry
    November 9, 2013 at 10:18 am

I like the bright sashing, but perhaps, it overpowers the gorgeous blocks and the focus that should be there. Whatever you decide to do will be beautiful. Hope you feel right as rain soon!!!

ChristaQuilts
    November 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

Here&#39;s a hug for you – and thanks for keeping it real! The pieced solids squares are fun. How about sashing the blocks with solid strips first (maybe even in different colors) and then a fun pieced border around the whole thing?<br /><br />

Esch House Quilts
    November 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Sorry to hear you&#39;re feeling out of sorts both physically and creatively. I think readers appreciate the honesty. I&#39;m glad you are taking a little time to wait for inspiration – it will come when it&#39;s ready 🙂 Take care!

diet puh
    November 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I hear you! I am sorry you are in a funk but I am happy you shared as it gives those of in a similar situation hope and a feeling of not being alone. And once you get through it, that weight off your shoulders sense of relief is amazing. Hugs and quilt love to you

Katy Cameron
    November 9, 2013 at 4:53 pm

When you&#39;re sick it totally drains you of everything I think. Hope you&#39;re feeling better now and are having a great weekend

quiltsfromtheattic
    November 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I totally understand this. I think some distance from a project really helps to re-focus. I think a solid sashing wouldn&#39;t distract from the blocks as much, and you could use the rainbow sashing as an outer border. It looks great!

amy smart
    November 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Wow! Thanks so much to everyone for the love an encouragement. It&#39;s been a sweet thing to read. And for the thoughts on the sashing. I think I have a plan up my sleeve and am feeling more motivated. Best wishes to all of you too!<br />

Wendy P
    November 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I know what you mean about the funk. It is frustrating to have 2 quilts I have been loving and planning just not working out the way I wanted. I put them aside. I started a charity quilt and am sewing up a bunch of flannel pajama pants for my grandkids while I think (or don&#39;t think) about those quilts. Maybe a light bulb will go on over my head. In the meantime, I am still enjoying sewing

Tamie
    November 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Here&#39;s to recharging. May you find refreshment…

Kate
    November 9, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I was looking at the sashing and thinking that you could keep the mulitcoloured blocks, but just for 5 blocks in the cross-section of the sashing, then a long strip between each multicoloured cross-section.<br />Just a thought.

Marianne
    November 10, 2013 at 1:34 am

I abSOLUTELY LOVe that border, and am now wishing I had done mine solids. Although I don&#39;t actually have any solids, but anyway. I am way behind having only done 9 blocks. So you not finishing yet makes me feel better. Just take your time and get better. We totes understand!

prsd4tim2
    November 10, 2013 at 8:00 am

I&#39;ve been there too. Usually a little time and a change of scene or project can get me back on track. I was feeling that way a few weeks ago and was suddenly inspired by an idea I couldn&#39;t wait to see put into fabric, and I was out of the funk and moving again. I think we need those times to refresh and refocus. You&#39;ll get your mojo back, and it will be awesome!

Thimbleanna
    November 11, 2013 at 9:32 am

Oh Amy! I was thinking how brilliant you were to pull all those solid colors into the sashing. I think it would be hard to make all those different colors work together, but the sashing is perfect! I hope you&#39;ll follow your first instincts!!!

NorahS
    November 11, 2013 at 11:02 am

Honestly, when I looked at this post yesterday, I wasn&#39;t crazy about the sashing. HOWEVER, coming back and looking at it today, I really, really love it! (Maybe because it is snowing outside here and the blocks and sashing look so bright and cheery, or maybe just because I have been thinking about it for a day.) And if you are still RS pres, with Christmas coming up, that is enough to put

Simple Simon and Company
    November 12, 2013 at 9:35 am

I am sorry about the funk….I have been feeling a bit the same way. So much to do in so little time sometimes makes me stand still and then I get nothing done. But your solids are divine!!!

J.p.quilt obsessed
    November 21, 2013 at 5:26 am

Oh I hate funks…..they don&#39;t happen very often but when they do…yuk…..it&#39;s nice to hear how everyone deals with though…thanks for starting the ball rolling Amy…I also love the sashing!!

dtb
    December 10, 2013 at 5:36 am

Hi Amy, very impressive and creative job, with the colors and the solids!

dtb
    December 10, 2013 at 5:38 am

Hi Amy, very impressive and creative job, with the colors and the solids!

dtb
    December 10, 2013 at 5:38 am

Hi Amy, very impressive and creative job, with the colors and the solids!