Kona Solids Blocks and Oakshott Modern Maples

I am happy to report that I’m getting my sewing mojo back – or my “sewjo” as my friend Maggie puts it. First of all, I finally figured out what I wanted to do with my Kona Solids Virtual Quilting Bee blocks. (Thanks so much to everyone for their thoughts and input.) For the measurements and instructions on adding the sashing, cornerstones, and borders, see the Sashing and Borders post.

As you know, this was a change from my original plan of a pieced sashing. It had some cool aspects to it, but once I started laying it out, it just wasn’t the look I was going for. I really wanted this quilt to be a stark contrast to the busy Happy Go Lucky version. I wanted it a little more sleek and modern. So I went with the light gray sashing and a few more pops of color with the cornerstones. I also left off the inside border and just let the outside white border be a simple frame for the blocks. I am so happy with how it turned out. I will probably do more color in the binding, but we’ll see.

I also pulled out my Oakshott Rubies Modern Maples from last fall. I ran out of the Essex Linen I was using for the back ground and had a hard time finding more. I finally sent a small swatch to Brenda at Pink Castle Fabrics and she matched it for me! Hallelujah!

Those Oakshott Rubies fabrics are so gorgeous. They’re kind of hard to find in the US, but if you see them, you’ll see what I mean. I also added a couple of gold leaves out of a Kaffe cotton because we have a lot of gold leaves during the fall season here in Utah. It feels good finishing an old WIP (work-in-progress). I’m going to keep it around as is for another week or so and then send it off to the quilters. Next fall it will finally be finished!

And finally, I even got caught up on my BeesKnees blocks! This one is for Sinta. The tutorial for this block/quilt is called Starry Eyed and can be found at the Moda Bake Shop. It’s still one of my favorites.

These improv trees are for Melissa. Aren’t they fun? This is her own design. She has an Improv Tree tutorial on her blog.

Whew! Feels good to be crossing stuff of the list. Just in time to start creating a whole new list before Christmas.

Oh Amy I love it! I was just stopping by and saw my Bees Knees block! Yeah!<br />You have been so busy… those trees are really cute and I love the maple leaf quilt too. Your other quilting group quilt is amazing! I love the blocks and the modern look it has!<br />

Oh crap. I started doing the square in a square lady night for my VQB blocks. I decided to frame the in different solids, but seeing this makes me wonder if I should do white. I need a quilting hotline.

Yes! Your solids quilt turned out perfect! I can&#39;t imagine any other choice being better. Love that slightly darker shade of gray in there. Well done, meditating on it until it was right!

I love how you decided to sash the solids quilt!!! It looks fantastic. Absolutely bold and beautiful!!! And thanks so much for sharing the tutorial 😉 Can&#39;t wait to see those trees :)

Wow–you definitely did get your sew-jo back, didn&#39;t you!! Thanks for the shout out. Totally am in love with your Kona solids quilt. The sashing clinches it!

You definitely seem to have your sewjo back. I just love what you did with your quilt. The sashing is perfect with that touch of color in the corner stones. I kind of want to copy you and make one for myself. hahahaha…as if I ever make anything for myself!<br /><br />Lovely, lovely quilts!!

I love how everything turned out especially the modern maples-so gorgeous. I love how everyone has made it their own. I&#39;m definitely going to have to do one next year.

I like the direction you are going with the virtual bee blocks. So clean and modern!<br />I love what Melissa did with my Modern Trees quilt along and changed it up a bit for her Tree swap :-) So fun!

your solid color virtual quilting bee quilt is very striking, and much less busy than your original plan which makes it look very sophisticated!! great job on doing this for all of us!! Thank you !

The solids quilt turned out beautifully. So, I&#39;m guessing we would follow the same instruction/measurements as the Happy Go Lucky finish, except for no inner border, correct?