New Block of the Month

I can’t believe that it’s already been 2 weeks since Christmas. Wow. That time has flown. Now that Christmas 2013 is in the books and put away, I’m ready to start some new projects! I’ve had a few people ask me if I am going to do another Virtual Quilting Bee like last year. The answer is, “Not exactly.” Because of a few variables for my family in 2014, I’m not taking on a year-long project like that. But do not fear, I am planning another quilt-along this spring and I have another Block of the Month project to reccomend.
Pat Sloan 2014 Aurifil challenge fabric
Pat Sloan just kicked off the 2014 Block of the Month quilt sponsored by Aurifil thread. This is the color palette for this year’s quilt. Each month there will be a free 12″ block pattern by a different designer with a setting design at the end of the year. I will link to each block when it comes out each month.
POST EDIT: Here’s a little more info on how this Block of the Month works:
  • This is a free Block of the Month quilt along with a new pattern for a 12″ block from a different designer every month.
  • Aurifil is sponsoring the BOM and providing thread prizes.
  • The challenge fabric was provided to the designers so that it will be a cohesive quilt when it’s finished.
  • You can make your blocks using the same fabric (from Moda’s Wishes collection) if you want to, but you don’t need to. You can make your blocks out of any fabric you want. Which is why I’m making mine using the red, gold and gray.
  • I don’t know the total amount of fabric required – I will check with Pat. My best guess is a variety of fat quarters will work for the assorted blocks. I don’t know how the quilt will be sashed, but maybe set aside a yard for that as well as a yard for borders, 5/8 yard for binding, and 4 1/2 yards for backing. If you don’t want to guesstimate now, I would say use a variety of colors that you like, rather than one collection, so that you can find coordinating fabric at any point.Zen Chic BOM

This is the block for this month, designed by Brigitte Heitland. Another fun part of this Block of the Month is that you can win awesome Aurifil thread prizes. Just upload pictures of your block to the Aurifil Flickr group to be eligible.

Here’s my first block. I’m going to use the color palette in the top picture in this post. As I went to pull fabric for this project I realized, yet again, that I am addicted to red. I think I gravitate towards red in every quilt I start. So this time I tried to mix it up at little by pairing it with gold/mustard and gray. It’s a new combo for me. I’m excited to make more blocks.
It felt good to finally sit down and do some sewing. 2014 has got off to a rough start so far. As I mentioned previously, I woke up sick on New Year’s Day, which turned into the flu and pneumonia. Yikes. After a rough weekend, I think I am finally starting to feel better. Being sick is a pain! And such a time-sucker too. I know I’m not alone on this one – I think there are lots of sickies this time of year.

I’m so antsy to catch-up on life, clean-out my sewing space and start working on a long list of projects on my to-do list. Keeping fingers crossed!

LindseyAnne
    January 9, 2014 at 4:03 am

So sorry to hear that you've been poorly. Take it easy, and I hope you're feeling much better soon. There's no time to be ill when you're a mum!

DaliaCighir
    January 9, 2014 at 4:54 am

I hope you feel better ! I also got sick after the New Year&#39;s Eve so I pretty much know the feeling. Have a wonderful and warm day ! xoxo<br /><br />http://daliacighir.wordpress.com

charlotte
    January 9, 2014 at 5:05 am

Glad you&quot;re feeling better. Love the colors in your block.

Muttmomkay
    January 9, 2014 at 8:04 am

Love your block. I am planning to do that one also, so let&#39;s watch each other&#39;s progress! And feel better.

Brigitte
    January 9, 2014 at 8:35 am

Love that you join the fun!

Jayne
    January 9, 2014 at 8:42 am

&#39;tis the season for getting sick! I had the flu right before Christmas and then it turned into a cold. It does mess with productivity! I&#39;m glad you are feeling better and ready to dig in!

Margaret
    January 9, 2014 at 9:35 am

Love those colors and the block. Hope you get better and I know how you felt because I got sick right after Christmas

Melia Mae Quilting
    January 9, 2014 at 10:18 am

Don&#39;t feel bad! I gravitate towards red too, but not hard to do when it is your favorite color! I love the color pallet you chose. I can&#39;t wait to see the finished project!

nettie
    January 9, 2014 at 11:37 am

ugh…pneumonia and the flu. Sounds terrible. Hope you are feeling better. that means you should probably have the rest of the year off from sickness!

dolores
    January 9, 2014 at 11:55 am

Dude! That&#39;s not the way to start the new year but I&#39;m right there with you as I&#39;ve had some kind of walking headcold since new year&#39;s eve….one day I&#39;ll be able to totally breathe through my nose again!:)<br /><br />

ChristaQuilts
    January 9, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Glad you are feeling better! Vapo-rub to the rescue every time πŸ™‚

Rebecca Grace
    January 9, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I&#39;m so glad you&#39;re feeling better, Amy. And as far as red goes, well, I like ANY color, as long as it&#39;s red. πŸ˜‰ <br /><br />Can you explain more about the Aurifil Designer of the Month thing? You have a photo of &quot;challenge fabric,&quot; but Aurifil only makes thread, right? Is there a different collection of challenge fabric each month, or are you supposed to be making

amy smart
      January 9, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Good questions. This is a free Block of the Month quilt along with a new pattern for a 12&quot; block from a different designer every month. Aurifil is sponsoring the BOM and providing thread prizes. The challenge fabric was provided to the designers so that it will be a cohesive quilt when it&#39;s finished. You can make your blocks using the same fabric (from Moda&#39;s Wishes collection) if

Sadie McGrath
      January 10, 2014 at 7:50 am

Another silly question. I&#39;m interested too, but have never done one. How do you know how much fabric you&#39;ll need to complete the the whole project? I just wouldn&#39;t want to pick out some fabric only to find out that by August I can&#39;t get it anymore and still need 3 more yards :O)

amy smart
      January 10, 2014 at 11:38 am

I don&#39;t know the total amount of fabric required – I will check with Pat. My best guess is a variety of fat quarters will work for the assorted blocks. I don&#39;t know how the quilt will be sashed, but maybe set aside a yard for that as well as a yard for borders, 5/8 yard for binding, and 4 1/2 yards for backing. If you don&#39;t want to guesstimate now, I would say use a variety of colors

Susie
    January 9, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Pretty block. Glad you are on the mend. My farther just died a week before christmas from pneumonia which developed after back surgery. So rest up!

Shelley
    January 9, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Glad you are feeling better! My night stand looks much like that. Same rub and cough drops even!! <br />Love the block and the fabric you picked! There are so many BOM and other challenges going on! I want to do them all!

Tam Witcher
    January 9, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Glad to hear that you are feeling better! I am currently in the process of fighting off a cold, and I have an arsenial of OTC medicines to help me win the battle πŸ™‚ . The block is gorgeous. How do I participate in this BOM?

amy smart
      January 10, 2014 at 11:40 am

Good question. I added a few more details to the post above to help clarify. Basically you just make a 12&quot; block each month at your own pace. There will be a link to a new pattern each month. To enter to win the prizes, post a picture of your block in the Aurifil Flickr group.

Cindy
    January 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Glad you are feeling better Amy! I like your block.

andpins
    January 9, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I am glad to hear you&#39;re on the mend. I am going to work on my block this weekend! I am really excited to see what this BOM turns up as the year progresses.

Within A Quarter Inch
    January 9, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Loving your color choices – and thank you for explaining the designer block of the month a little more, it always stumped me a bit! Glad to hear you&#39;re on the mend!

Estela
    January 11, 2014 at 9:42 am

How crazy is that, everyone has been sick around here! Including me. Glad to hear you are feeling better.<br />I love the color selection you picked. I&#39;m considering the challenge….thanks for providing the information.

cristina maria
    January 13, 2014 at 7:40 am

OlΓ‘ Amy!!<br />Conheci o seu blog e vi o desafio. <br />Vou tentar participar.<br />Espero que tenhas melhorado.<br /><br />

JUSTME
    January 26, 2014 at 11:11 am

2014 Block of the Month quilt sponsored by Aurifil. I made january block today and unfinished is 12&quot;