New Dresden block, bow-ties, and valentines projects

I have been itching to sew for weeks. We’ve had a lot going on with holiday hoopla, a family wedding, and extended family staying with us for a week – all very good things – but I have hardly touched my sewing machine for weeks. I had big plans for this weekend to clean up Christmas, start a bunch of new projects, and clean out my sewing room. But then I got my annual post-Christmas bug and instead I feel like a piece of crud. I guess those things will wait.

Before I started feeling too crumby I did get to make a little Dresden bee block for Lori Holt. I think it turned out so cute and it went so fast. This Dresden has fewer and fatter wedges, cut using Lori’s small “thimble” template. Lori has this Dresden tutorial on her blog.

Even though I haven’t sewn much, I did make my first ever handmade bow-ties last weekend for the wedding. I’m kind of proud of how they turned out. I just searched Bow Tie Tutorials on Pinterest, read a bunch of them and then went for it. I may make more of these in my future, because they looked so cute on my guys and weren’t nearly as tricky as I’d feared. πŸ™‚
If, unlike yours truly, your Christmas decor is cleaned up and put away and you’re itching to get ready for the next holiday, may I suggest some pieced heart pillows?
Inline image 1
My pillows and pattern are featured in the current issue of Quilt It…Today. I snapped a picture of an issue in the wild when I saw it at JoAnn’s right before Christmas (and got some interesting looks while doing so), but must have accidentally deleted it from my phone. πŸ™  This issue is also available from the Fat Quarter Shop.

Also, the Fat Quarter Shop has made this cute Lover’s Lane Quilt using Tanya Whelen’s Valentine Roses fabrics and my Brickyard quilt pattern. Kits are also available!

That will have to suffice for now. More thoughts on goals and plans for 2014 when this wretched cough stops so I can process life again.

Lucy @ Charm About You
    January 2, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Super cute Dresden and love those bow ties! Happy 2014 and I hope you feel much better soon πŸ™‚

Acorn to Oak
    January 2, 2014 at 5:37 pm

That quilt block is SO cute! I love it! I really like that quilt too! Wow!….your work was in a magazine?! That's awesome! But, I totally see why…you're very skilled and talented. I hope you're feeling better. Best wishes for a wonderful new year!

Katy Cameron
    January 2, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I'm in love with that dresden! Hope you get back to your sewing and feel much better soon, happy new year!

Missy Shay
    January 2, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Your Dresden block is very cute and I love those bow ties!

Erin Quinn
    January 2, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Those are the cutest pillows. I don&#39;t know how my hubby will feel if I start decorating the house with hearts, but I&#39;ll try and get away with it, just so I can have some of these. They&#39;re super cute.<br />E

Spinner
    January 2, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Those pillows are adorable. I made a Valentine wreath last year and it was a big hit. Some pillows may be next… <br />Hope you are feeling better soon and can get back to sewing and everything you enjoy. All the best for 2014. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store πŸ™‚ <br /><br />J

unionjgirl
    January 2, 2014 at 10:10 pm

The bow ties are so cute! I wonder how they would look with a print…

Pam @ Quilting Fun
    January 3, 2014 at 1:39 am

Love those pillows. And the Dresden is lovely.

Melissa Corry
    January 3, 2014 at 8:25 am

I hope you get feeling well soon. The pillows are adorable and the bow ties so cute!!!

Rebecca Grace
    January 3, 2014 at 10:41 am

OMG — those bow ties are AWESOME and my 10-year-old has been seriously begging me to get him some bow ties. (Actually, he keeps begging me to wear a tuxedo to his piano recitals, a tuxedo that has not fit him since he was six). Can you please share links to the tutorials you used, or consider posting one of your own if you ended up doing your own thing? <br /><br />Feel better soon. In the

prsd4tim2
    January 3, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Oh, I do hope you feel better soon. I caught that wretched bug when I was in Utah over Thanksgiving, and finally went to the doctor the day after Christmas. Finally feel like I&#39;m getting better, and I hope you do as well. Love your heart pillows and the lovely quilt, but honestly, those bow ties are the cutest! <br /><br />All the best!

Cathy
    January 3, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Thank you for posting today even though you are ill. I was having Amy withdrawal symptoms. Get well soon.<br />

cristina maria
    January 3, 2014 at 3:39 pm

OlΓ‘ Amy!<br />Gosto muito do seu blog!<br />Os seus tutoriais sΓ£o bem explicados e suas colchas lindas. ParabΓ©ns!!!<br />Os tecidos tem um colorido especial. <br />Amei esse dresden, e tenho vontade de fazer esse ano.<br />Melhoras da tosse.<br />Feliz Ano Novo!!

diane
    January 17, 2014 at 10:00 am

Everything you make is so pretty