Spring + Prioritizing

It’s my month to send out fabric and block instructions for my BeesKnees group. Add that to the list of the bajillion things I am behind on right now. Finally I pulled out some fabric a couple of nights ago (which is something I always enjoy, but seem to be finding less and less time to do…). While I was at it I started setting aside fabric for a big destash. Who knows when that will actually happen, but it is a needful thing. Time to purge!
Last night I carved out a little time to put some of these beauties into piles to mail out to my group ladies. I’m excited to see what they come up with.

These are the blocks they made last year. I LOVE how they all look together. This year I am having them each make one more block with a little bit of a twist to make the squares even busier. I’m so excited to see what they come up with. Of course, I had the instructions all typed up and ready to go and then blogger freaked out at me and it was all lost. I was way too drained last night to try to summon that brain-power again. I’ll have to try again today.

my poor little favorite magnetic pindish is in need of some TLC
Speaking of brain power- mine feels a little fried at the moment. I think I’m just in one of my funks – you all know how that goes. And it’s pretty much following the same pattern as most funks – a lot on my plate and feeling overwhelmed and just needing to step back and recharge. I’m not sharing so that you’ll all throw me a pity-party – but because I think it’s healthy to be real. I never want to present the image that I have it all together. Heavens no!
Life is good. It’s full and busy with 4 kids and some weighty responsibilities elsewhere right now, but my life is full of things and people that I love. I just need to do a better job of prioritizing. I’m finding that there is less time for quilting and sewing and that’s okay too. I’m glad I have something that I enjoy so much and that fulfills my creative needs, and at the same time has even become a business that I love, but I’m learning that I need to keep it in the realm of “stress-reliever” not “added stress.”

In fun news, a new friend and fellow-quilter sent me the funnest little surprise in the mail, which was a great pick-me-up. Look at these numbered labeling pins! No more using random post-it note scraps for labeling my quilt rows. Thanks Nancy!! POST EDIT: Nancy has a tutorial for these Quilt Row Marking Pins!

Lynn
    March 14, 2014 at 4:49 am

I love the colors in your bee blocks!! Thanks for keeping it real!! I know some nice weather my way would help get me out of a funk or just "extra" time :0) we all wish we had, right?!?!! Love those little numbered pins!

QuiltLaughLove
    March 14, 2014 at 6:03 am

I am finding so much inspiration from your blog. Thanks for keeping it real! Any chance you have instructions on how to make those adorable beaded pins?

amy smart
      March 17, 2014 at 9:37 am

Thank you. And Yes! Nancy sent me the link to a tutorial for those pins. I just added it to the post above.

Karen - Quilts...etc.
    March 14, 2014 at 6:18 am

quilting always needs to stay a stress reducer otherwise why do it? I never make deadlines and life is better that way

Sandy W
    March 14, 2014 at 7:25 am

The pins are fantastic!! The quilt is awesome!!! And thanks for keeping it real!!! It's encouraging to know I'm not alone in that area!! You have a great attitude about it and recognized what you needed to do, good for you!! And what a great time to be sent a gift!!! Silver linings!!! Have a great weekend!!!

Melissa Corry
    March 14, 2014 at 8:03 am

Oh, looking forward to those fun little prints to arrive in the mail. And I a excited to see the twist πŸ˜‰ Those pins are totally awesome. What fun they will be to use πŸ˜‰ And by the way, you know you are amazing, right!!!!

Melissa Miller
    March 14, 2014 at 8:20 am

I'd be so sad if my pin dish were to break. It's a vintage glass ashtray.

Sigi G
    March 14, 2014 at 8:34 am

Love those pins!<br />I too have four children (all grown up now); how well I remember sometimes thinking my batteries will never recharge. Now I just babysit and even then it is take-out because I&#39;m sooooo exhausted!

Farm Road Ramblings
    March 14, 2014 at 10:17 am

I clicked to your other &quot;funk&quot; post. Thanks for reminding me that it all doesn&#39;t have to be done today. It&#39;ll all be OK. : ) Love the color palette for your blocks! And those pins, oh my.

mrs.hands
    March 14, 2014 at 11:18 am

Wow, those colors are gorgeous!<br />I can&#39;t look at that, makes me wanna sew instantly, but I should do so many other things… &gt;.&lt;

Kathy@KayakQuilting
    March 14, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Great fabric pull! And those pins with numbers are practical AND adorable! Something to definitely smile about!

Katy Cameron
    March 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm

The final bee quilt is going to look fab! Hope you can destress through sewing soon :o)

Lana
    March 14, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Love the colors…I hope you just take one step at a time and enjoy the view…Happy Friday!

Erin Quinn
    March 14, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I love your pins, but even more I love your eggshell pin cushion. I am off to rummage through my cupboards to see if there is one hiding that I can appropriate for my sewing room :-)<br />Unfortunately there&#39;s not a lot I can say or do about your funk. Send inning good vibes through the internet! :-)<br />E xx

Angela @ Cottage Magpie
    March 14, 2014 at 4:59 pm

What bright, cheerful colors!! Hopefully they can help you. I always say that fabric is cheaper than therapy! πŸ™‚ ~Angela~

Sarah Craig
    March 14, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Sorry to hear you&#39;re in a funk – hopefully it will pass soon! Just take a deep breath and remember it will all get done in its own time. Your quilt has such gorgeous colors – it makes me dream of summer!

Sherri
    March 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Your fabrics are amazing…you are amazing!!! You are such an inspiration to me, and I appreciate your willingness to always help out!<br /><br />PSI must find those pins!!!

Cindi
    March 14, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Oh no…your poor little tomato pin dish! Can you order another one online? When you first posted about making it, I thought it was the cutest dish ever! Made me sad to see it broken in pieces…..

Lori Landenburger
    March 15, 2014 at 12:22 am

Take a deep breathe, look back at what you have done, get one of the kids to glue the<br />Pin dish, stroke another&#39;s hair, get hugs from the other two, and ask the hubs what&#39;s for dinner;-) you&#39;re doin great, grrrl!!

life in red shoes
    March 15, 2014 at 1:36 am

Life for me got so much better when I learned to live it one day at a time. You are in the busiest years of your life right now. Kids are getting a little older, it takes more than pb and j and Sesame Street to meet their needs πŸ˜‰

Nedra
    March 15, 2014 at 7:11 am

I&#39;m always amazed at how much you accomplish with your young family, RS Pres., and Quilting. I know it must be a real balancing act, but you do a great job! It will all work out. It always does. And I know you have your priorities straight by putting family and HF first. I&#39;m looking forward to working on your Bees Knees block. Thank you for all you do Amy!

Liz
    March 15, 2014 at 7:19 am

Thanks for sharing where you&#39;re at, Amy. I&#39;m a driver too and it has taken a long time for me to learn that if I&#39;ll really step back and rest when I&#39;m in a funk or just plain tired, or whatever, what I&#39;m able to create or achieve after will be so much better and things just come together more easily. I have four grown children and they are the ones who taught me this. They

Becky
    March 15, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I am soooo ready for spring! Sad to see your dish broke! I need some of those numbered pins that your friend gave you–they are super cute and would really come in handy.

GabiP
    March 16, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Love your blog – it gives me such inspiration! Sorry about your little dish – I hate when something I like breaks. Those pins are adorable – Not sure how to make them, but I know I could use them! Chin up! Tomorrow is a new day.

amy smart
      March 17, 2014 at 9:39 am

Thank you Gabi. Aren&#39;t those pins great? Nancy who gave them to me has a tutorial to make them. I just added the link to the post!

Gnomemade
    March 19, 2014 at 11:07 am

Those pins are fantastic! Thanks for sharing your friend&#39;s tutorial!

TaraB
    March 19, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I love your BeesKnees quilt – how do you join that group?

Anne
    March 19, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Love your fabric pull and all the spring colors. Also really love the idea of turning an ordinary bowl into a magnetic one for pins. I&#39;ve been needing to do something different with my pins. Now I know what I&#39;ll try.

Michelle Carlson
    March 24, 2014 at 7:13 pm

It&#39;s always great to &quot;de-stash&quot; as you call it. πŸ™‚ The colors on your blocks are amazing and the fabric you&#39;ve accumulated is wonderful. I noticed quite a few that I have in my stash as well. We all get into ruts and funks, the best way out of them is to step back, breathe deeply, and start with what you find the most pleasure in. (Mine is always my family)<br /><br />It&#39;s