Free Aurifil Block of the Month May

Free quilt block pattern from Aurifil's 2014 Block of the Month
Can anyone else out there believe it is actually May tomorrow? MAY? Really? Didn’t the school year just start a few months ago? Wasn’t Christmas just a couple of weeks ago? May? This must be a sign I’m getting old(er). Well, here’s the good news about May. It’s time for a new free quilt block pattern from the Aurifil Block of the Month and this month the designer is yours truly = me.
The blocks each month are inspired by a woman in your life, and I chose my mom. She was always a sew-er and creator. She could make her own and our cloths, knit and crochet. I still remember when she took her first quilting class. I was probably about 11 or 12. After the class she came home and taught me how to hand-piece the block she’d learned in class. These are the first quilt blocks I ever made! I was so excited when I found them a few years ago. Who would have ever thought what quilting would become in my life!
Later I made a pink version of that design and my mom took the block and replicated it in a quilt for my room. I had this quilt on my bed for years and still have it now.
So this is the 12″ block I designed for this month as an homage to that first quilt block I learned from my mom! I felt so lucky to have my month be May, just in time for Mother’s Day! Here is the block I made for the Aurifil quilt and here is the block to go with mine. You can see that by using a contrasting color for the rectangles vs the same fabric as the center block can change the whole look of the block. Options!

Here are the 5 blocks I’ve made so far. To get the patterns for each block, visit the list of Aurfil 2014 BOM designer interviews. Each interview has a link to a PDF pattern for the block that month.

If you’ve made any of the Aurifil BOM blocks, be sure to link up to the Aurifil Flickr group. Each month a winner is chosen from the photos in that group and the prize is a box of 12 large spools of Aurifil Thread. That’s a $125 value and 17,064 yards of thread. For making a quilt block. What are you waiting for? I love the incredible variety of colors by Aurifil but I also love to buy a giant cone of a neutral and use it for everything. Those cones go on forever.

Speaking of Mother’s Day, whether your mom is a quilter or not, here’s an updated list of gift ideas for the quilters that you love.

And don’t forget to stop by the blogs sharing some of their favorite quick-quilting tips as part of the Fabulously Fast Quilts party. There have been some great ones so far!

Dianne Mitzel
    April 30, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Just received my book today, so thrilled, and can hardly wait to make one of the lovely quilts you designed for us!! Love you blog, and love your block of the month. The older, traditional blocks are wonderful, and always remind me of my grandmother who shared her love of sewing and quilting with me.<br />diannemitzel1@hotmail.com

Stephanie
    April 30, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I just received your book and can&#39;t wait to get started! I am following along with the Aurifil block of the month and can&#39;t wait to make May&#39;s block! I love it!

Anita
    April 30, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Love the color palette you&#39;re using for your blocks!

diane
    May 1, 2014 at 2:33 am

I like a quick and easy block. It&#39;s really only January and you&#39;re tricking us into believing we are half way through spring.

Sigi G
    May 1, 2014 at 5:33 am

Loved your interview with Pat Sloan. I&#39;ve ordered your book and can&#39;t wait to receive it. I&#39;m really enjoying all the &#39;tips&#39; from other bloggers. What a wonderful idea!!<br />Working on the churn dash quilt – I just wish I had more time to sew:( – πŸ™‚ maybe today!

Paula @ Sewy Stuff
    May 1, 2014 at 7:11 am

Wow I love your block. Especially the one with the yellow background/corner triangles. I&#39;m definitely going to me making one of these ……. <br />

Thimbleanna
    May 1, 2014 at 7:51 am

What a great post Amy! How fun that you tied your block to Mother&#39;s Day for the month of May. I LOVE your block!!!

Pattie
    May 1, 2014 at 8:22 am

Your book just arrived and I&#39;m so excited to make one of your wonderful patterns! Love your block, love your blog, love all you create! Thanks for sharing yourself with us. πŸ™‚

cockney blonde
    May 1, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Beautiful blocks and lovely memories, x

northen ex
    May 4, 2014 at 11:58 am

Thanks for the Blocks, should try it next. Your book is im my wish list….<br />

Vicki Freeman
    May 5, 2014 at 11:49 am

I&#39;ve been following your progress and each block has pulled me in a little more. This one did it – I have this great Joel Dewberry bundle I&#39;ve been saving that just hit the cutting table. I&#39;m going to do this block first and then catch up with the others. And I just ordered your book – super excited for it! πŸ™‚

VickiLorraine@lefthandednotions
    May 29, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Amy, I just want to thank you sooo much for the fabulous instructions for this block. The instructions were so clear and easy to follow that, I believe my blck turned out perfectly. That is a big thing for me to say, as they usually don&#39;t!