A brief recap of Fat Quarterly Retreat and Liberty of London

This is entitled a “Brief” recap. I haven’t had time to process the pictures I took with my real camera of the weekend in London at the Fat Quarterly retreat yet, so I will share more after I’ve had time to go through them. But here are a few quick phone images of a lovely weekend. The best part for me of sewing retreats is always the people. Quilters are just great folk. It’s so fun to make connections in person with people you’ve only ever interacted with online before as well as meet new friends and fellow-fabric-lovers.
I was also SO thrilled because I got to take a class from Jen Kingwell. (I literally screamed out loud when I first saw the teaching schedule and saw that she was on it.) She has been a quilting hero of mine for a long time. This is everyone ogling and taking final pictures one more time of her Green Beans and Sweet Tea quilt. So amazing. This is on my quilting bucket list. I started one block while I was there. I have a ways to go! lol!
And I’m happy to say that Jen is as wonderful and lovely in real life as any of her quilts. She is such a genuine and generous person. It was a treat to get to interact and spend time with her.
I also got a little time to get out and explore a few favorite places in the city. Like Liberty of London
So much eye candy to behold – even before you walk in the door!
As sew-y folks we often discuss the fabric they’re famous for – but their world-famous prints are on lots of other products as well. It was pretty amazing. (And pretty posh, as you can imagine.) I’ll do a full post on Liberty once I get to go through my real pictures.

And yes, I may have brought home just a little bit of fabric as a souvenir. There was another fabric shop called Shaukat near the retreat that had smaller remnants and cut pieces smaller than a meter, which was a little more quilter-friendly.

If you are looking to start collecting some of your own Liberty stash, Amanda at Westwood Acres is opening up limited spaces in their monthly Liberty club. I have LOVED getting my little bundle of pretty-ness each month in the mail from Westwood Acres. I’m sure spaces won’t last long so if you’re interested, check it out soon!
In the mean time, carry on and all that.

Funky Kim
    July 22, 2014 at 7:38 am

Oh dear! My Visa card would have taken a beating at Liberty! And that quilt is so darn cute!

Karen
    July 22, 2014 at 7:54 am

I, too, was in London last week on vacation. My daughter and I went to Liberty of London and sighed over the collection of beautiful fabric. What I couldn't get past was the price per meter of the fabric. At 22 pounds per meter, that converted to almost $40 per yard. Wowza!! I did pick up a lavender sachet and little sewing kit – that was about all I could afford, LOL.

carolg
    July 22, 2014 at 8:43 am

Karen, I'm with you. I brought home a lovely pincushion. I do have a couple meters bought on my first trip in 2002 that I'm saving for my mythical granddaughter. My daughter and I had high tea at Liberty on our last trip, which was absolutely the best.

crazydazy
    July 22, 2014 at 9:11 am

ooooh those Liberty fabrics are delicious!

Kay
    July 22, 2014 at 9:18 am

It all looks wonderful, Liberty has to be one of my favourite shops in the world. x

Shontelle
    July 22, 2014 at 9:39 am

Gorgeous fabrics Amy – I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them. x

Cathy
    July 22, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Hi Amy! Great pictures, great time with friends, great fabrics, great time all the way around! One blessed gal! hugs~

Hilary
    July 22, 2014 at 3:37 pm

It looks like you had a blast!!

DebSue
    July 22, 2014 at 4:40 pm

My trip to London found the cost of their fabric too much. I enjoyed the tea room. The store was a wonderful experience!

Rafael's Mum
    July 23, 2014 at 2:31 am

Great post Amy. It was lovely to meet you ! Glad you got to see something of London as well. Save journey home when you are heading back ! xx

Sigi G
    July 23, 2014 at 5:42 am

Love your little recap and a peek at your time in London. Beautiful Fabric – how could you choose?

Hedy Hahn
    July 23, 2014 at 7:52 am

Thanks for the link to the Liberty fabrics, I ordered some. I am going to London in a year or so and plan on stopping there too. Doubt I will buy much fabric though, a little too costly for my scrappies.

Flying Blind...
    July 24, 2014 at 12:15 pm

It was lovely to meet you – please come back again so I can be in one of your classes.<br />Oh isn&#39;t Jen Kingwell the best!?

Gemini Jen NZ
    July 26, 2014 at 2:39 am

Ohmigosh! I think I would get banned from Liberty just for the amount of drool I would leave everywhere – how did you manage to resist buying up bags and bags of it all???!! Am putting that store on my bucket list!!

Sharon
    July 26, 2014 at 9:56 am

Looks like a fabulous time! I am determined to go to the FQ retreat in the next few years

Katy Cameron
    July 30, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Glad you had fun there, you and Jen are so cute in that photo!

dolores
    August 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Heheheh….been back 10 days and haven&#39;t had internet….it&#39;s slightly fixed so I came here for a peek….you should see the photos I have of you and Jen….heheheh!!:)<br />Miss you!! xo