Vintage-inspired Dresden Plate quilt finish

Vintage inspired Dresden Plate Quilt-001

Three cheers for the completion of a long-time WIP! I started this Dresden Plate quilt over 5 years ago. (uh, yeah. Could be worse, right?) I know this because I remember appliqueing the dresden blocks while watching the 2010 Winter Olympics.

vintage inspired Dresden Plate quilt

I had the four Dresdens done and knew what I wanted to do for borders, but never actually did it. Until my vow to dig out those long-standing WIPS (works-in-progress) (also known as UFO’s: Unfinished Objects) a few months ago and get them done.

vintage reproduction dresden plate block

For the backing I used a vintage sheet that, in addition to being perfect colors, was also just the right size, requiring no piecing. Nice.

red retro quilt binding

I found this binding fabric in my stash, which originally came from my mom’s stash, so it’s pretty old. But perfect vintage-retro-inspired to go with the rest of the quilt. And I’m a sucker for red.

The custom quilting was done perfectly by Melissa from Sew Shabby Quilting. I love it!

dresden plate vintage inspired quilt

And one more look at the full thing. Hooray. I’m a sucker for Dresdens. There’s something I really like about the process of making them. And their looks can be so versatile.

amy-smart-american-jane-dresden-quilt        Free-Spirit-true-colors-jenean-morrison-dresden-circle-quilt        Peppermint Pinwheels quilt text

You can see a few of my past Dresdens including this (American Jane Dresden that coordinates nicely with this new one), a rainbow-inspired Dresden, and this Peppermint Pinwheel free quilt tutorial. You can find a tutorial for a classic, basic dresden plate block here. And the best part is that they are so much easier than they look!Gardenvale DresdensI like them so much that I’m starting a whole new Dresden project. I know I’m supposed to be knocking out WIPS, but I saw this and couldn’t resist. These Dresden blocks are made from a pattern by Jen Kingwell to go with her cheater prints from the Gardenvale Collection.  I’m such a sucker.

gardenvale dresden pattern

The pattern sheet and the yardage for this project can be found at The Fat Quarter Shop, and Fabricworm, as well as a quilt kit from Fort Worth Fabric Studios.

Lauren Deel
    May 29, 2015 at 4:31 am

What a lovely finish, Amy! The backing and binding are just perfect, too.

Southern Gal
    May 29, 2015 at 5:08 am

I’m not a huge fan of Dresden plates, but this one is so beautiful! I may have to try my hand at it.

Amy Smart
      May 29, 2015 at 10:17 am

They’re kind of addicting once you get going. 😉

Patricia Cash
    May 29, 2015 at 6:19 am

A lovely quilt, have always wanted to do a dresden plate quilt. This has inspired me.

Elsie Pop
    May 29, 2015 at 6:38 am

This is absolutely gorgeous! I’m in awe of anyone who can muster up enthusiasm for a project which has been in progress for so long… I’m inspired! Maybe I should dig through my WIPs for something as lovely! xx

Amy Smart
      May 29, 2015 at 10:16 am

I had a friend who motivated me at the beginning of the new year. Once I got on a roll, it’s been so fun! Good luck with yours. xo

Carolyn S
    May 29, 2015 at 7:50 am

I want to make a Dresden quilt too. I have the fabrics collected now just need to sit down and make it happen. Love yours a lot!!!

Teresa Stanulis
    May 29, 2015 at 8:26 am

Your quilt is beautiful and so cheerful. I love it! I’ve been thinking I’d like to try a Dresden plate quilt soon. But I’m also trying to complete a few more WIP’s. I just finished the top of a block of the month quilt that I started when my son was in high school. He’s 26! It is a quilt with lots of wool appliqué and I really enjoyed making the blocks. It was the border that had me put it away for so many years. It feels so good to have the top finally done!

Amy Smart
      May 29, 2015 at 10:15 am

Good for you! Congrats on a finish! Isn’t it crazy how it’s the things like borders or piecing the back that are all that stands in the way of a finish? (It’s that way for me anyway.) I have three quilt tops that just need borders or a back and they’re ready to go. Need to get on that!

May 29, 2015 at 9:24 am

Sew fresh~ Love it!

Louisa @ seWmotion
    May 29, 2015 at 10:43 am

I love your quilt, and the colours are stunning! That beautiful backing is perfect, you have just made me add yet another project to my ever growing “got to try ” list, particularly that peppermint version! Thank you! 🙂

May 29, 2015 at 11:49 am

Congratulations on a lovely finish! Simply wonderful.

Sigi G
    May 29, 2015 at 11:56 am

Love, Love, Love this beautiful scrappy Dresden Block quilt with the scrappy border, and the quilting – well the whole quilt is absolutely gorgeous Amy!!

May 29, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Beautiful quilt! You’ve inspired me to get out a UFO – it’s an Irish Chain quilt top (similar colours to yours) and I abandoned it because I couldn’t decide what to put in the empty spaces – now I know! Thank you!

Sandra B
    May 29, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Beautiful finish!! I love Dresden plate quilts. I have one that I made probably 25 years ago, and it is still a favorite. I plan to make another one sometime in the future. It is slowly making its way to the top of the list! Love the fabrics that you used! Thanks for sharing!!

May 29, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Amy I love your Dresden Quit it is beautiful, you have inspired me to try to make a Dresden Quilt!!! I enjoy reading your blog for inspiration thanks so much for sharing your beautiful quilts.

May 29, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I absolutely love the Dresden plate quilt. The border is perfect. Congratulations on sticking with the UFO to get it finished.

GeminiJen NZ
    May 29, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Gorgeous work! So satisfying to have crossed another WIP off your list!

Jackie Berdych
    May 29, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Lovely quilt. Nice finish. I like how it is quilted also.

May 29, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Very pretty! I am also drawn to Dresdens; my grandmother’s favorite block. I have 50 plates to appliqué onto bases fabrics….The last things she hand pieced. I have several WIPS but getting just one project made completely from some of her blocks is at the top of my list for 2015. Thanks for the inspiration!

Amy Smart
      May 30, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Oh what a treasure to have those blocks! I’d love to see a picture of them.

Monica Kostak
    May 29, 2015 at 11:31 pm

A Dresden quilt is on my list of things to do this year. Thank you for the inspiration and for sharing your beautiful quilt!

Pam M
    May 30, 2015 at 1:01 am

I love Dresdens – both old-fashioned and new-fashioned – too. This is gorgeous, Amy, and I especially like the way it has been quilted too. Just might have to steal that idea if I ever get a Dresden Plate quilt finished, that is. Your quilts are always joyful. Love your work.

May 30, 2015 at 1:02 am

Lovely quilts. I am making my first log cabin for a friends little ones Christening memorial. Everyone bought fabric on the day and I have been working on it since. I have also started an I Spy quilt for one of my children and have squares put aside for the other two. Not to mention the hand sewn quilt I started as a child which is getting to the point of almost completion. I love seeing all your work.

May 30, 2015 at 4:49 am

Love this quilt. Gives me inspiration to finish my Dresden quilt. The wedges are all polka dots and way out of my quilting box, but love them. Thanks for sharing.

May 30, 2015 at 7:21 am

I just love your quilt! The colors are so cheery! I recently made three huge Dresden plates to put into a tablerunner…you have inspired me to go finish that project!

May 30, 2015 at 11:22 am

What a gorgeous and cheerful quilt! I love the fabrics you used. The red binding fabric from you’re mom’s stash goes perfectly with this beauty.

May 30, 2015 at 12:02 pm

I really love the colors and simplicity of the layout and the different quilt designs, pebbles in the center is so fun!

May 30, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Terrific Dresden finish,Amy, love that border too!

Angie @ gnomeangel.com
    May 30, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Perfection. There’s so many good dresden quilts out there in the world. I sometimes think an exhibition of nothing but dresden quilts would be FABULOUS!

Amy Smart
      June 1, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Oooh! I love that idea. Seriously, so many great Dresden variations aren’t there?

May 30, 2015 at 7:13 pm

I really love the vintage feel of this quilt – and the quilting is FABULOUS. I’m saving this post to my Bloglovin favs so I can refer back when I need inspiration on my future dresden quilts. I especially like the border – I’ve made 2 dresden quilts and haven’t bordered either. Now I wish I had seen you quilt first! Thanks for the motivation. I’m just gonna pretend I didn’t see your pic of the new project. I’ve been ignoring my pieced blade idea for a few months now…

Rosemary Bolton
    May 31, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Gosh, this is beautiful, Amy.
    I love it!!

Victoria / Justice Pirate
    June 3, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I am in awe of the beauty of this quilt in general. It is not often that you just want to stare at the pretty fabric colors. . .but I just found myself doing that for 3 minutes straight at the same photo. . . .haha. Great work!