What’s going on around here…

piecing a quilt back

I keep thinking I’m doing a good job of relaxing and letting summer just ‘happen’ but then at the same time I stop and wish I were doing a better job of it. Lots going on around here – but nothing finished to share. Basically, just a lot of chaos. But good chaos, right?

I did finally piece the back to the Alison Glass/Denyse Schmidt quilt top I put together 3 months ago. I was determined to only use my stash. I try to stock up on yardage for backs when I find it on a great deal, but none of the stuff on had was the right fit for this quilt. I did have a 3 yard piece, so I pieced a color spectrum strip to make the back big enough. It always feels good to use up stash, doesn’t it? It’s off at the quilter’s right now.

cross blocks

I’ve made a few of these fun Cross blocks recently. These two are for a friend who is moving away (*sniff*). Since she’s a quilter as well I pulled out my Maker fabric from Art Gallery Fabrics for the backgrounds. You can find the dimensionsย for this block here. It’s a great one for using up scraps.

design wall quilt projects

I’m knee deep in a few UFO’s (Un-Finished-Objects) at the moment, and coincidentally, they all have a dark background. My design wall has never looked so dark!

My Swoon blocks are starting to return from my Bee members. (With each returning block, I get moreย excited for this quilt!) My Gardenvale dresdens are coming slow, but steady. But I’m not as far as I’d like to be on my Pie Making Day project. Sewing time (and blogging time) is just unpredictable in the summer…

IMG_8756ย  Mainly because we’re spending time here…

… and here (hiking Battlecreek Falls at the bast of Mt Timpanogos). And honestly, that’s how it should be. I’m trying to do a better job of living in the moment and embracing the essentials for now. If some sewing time pops up, I run with it, and if not, it’ll return when school starts in a few months.

quiltcon registration

One quick reminder: QUILTCON class registration opens tomorrow, June 25, at 10 am Eastern/7 am Pacific to all registered Modern Quilt Guild members! (Registration opens to the public on July 1.)

This is the third year of QUILTCON and the first time it will be held in Pasadena, California. The dates run February 18-21, 2016. I am SO excited to be going to QuiltCon this year and to be teaching at it too! I’m teaching two courses: Strip-Piecing techniques – a wide variety of tips and looks all made using strip-piecing AND Intermediate piecing – think y-seams, machine-pieced hexagons and diamond, inset seams, etc. I’m also really looking forward to taking classes – including Cristy Fincher’s Paperless Paper-piecing. Anyone planning to come?

June 24, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I’m hoping to get to QuiltCon. It is so close and such a great opportunity. I need to spend far more time looking at the program and get my choices made.

Your design wall is beautiful and eclectic. I really need to get on the Swoon bandwagon.

June 24, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Lots of great stuff on your design wall! I’m thrilled QuiltCon West is debuting in SoCal next year and plan to try to snag a class or two. At least the show will be a fantastic day of eye candy.

Brenda ACKerman
    June 24, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Amy Smart
      June 26, 2015 at 12:30 am

Thanks Brenda! Good luck with house guests. Always a lot of work, but then you have a nice clean house to enjoy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Elsie Pop
    June 25, 2015 at 2:31 am

Wall-to-wall gorgeousness in this post – I love your dark backgrounds, they’re so effective. I MUST learn to quilt… xx

June 25, 2015 at 7:02 am

Those swoon blocks in deep/muted colours look incredible! Thanks for sharing all of these WIPs!

Amy Smart
      June 26, 2015 at 12:29 am

Thank you! I’m loving how they’re turning out!

Miriam ayala
    June 25, 2015 at 8:07 am

I too am determined to use up my stash, i have stopped buying 3 years ago and used up many FQ and jelly rolls for projects. I have used up my Kaffe Fassett for Abundantly Blessed pattern . I figured at my age 60 yrs old if i don’t start using my beautiful stash someone else will have the pleasure. And that’s no fun!!!!! lol..lol..

CATHERIne s.
    June 25, 2015 at 10:35 am

I am happy that I got thru the QuiltCon registration process this morning. Last night, choosing my priorities from the “latest catalog”, I saw your *Advanced Piecing* class offered at 9 am and again at 2 pm on Saturday. When I registered this morning, it was listed as an all day class on Sat. from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. A bit confused but I signed up anyway. I look forward to meeting you and all the QuiltCon hoopla in general. It will be my first one.
    Happy Summer, having all the children home is such a special time, I hope you are building many memories of fun and lazy days with the children. Mine are 21 yrs. old now (twins) and a 44 yr. old also! the time flies by too fast.

Amy Smart
      June 26, 2015 at 12:28 am

I heard there was some mix-up with that class! Glad you got in! I’ll look forward to meeting you! And thanks for the reminder about slowing down and enjoying this time. This week has felt chaotic. (Mostly my fault.) I’m vowing to let go of more stuff and just chill.

Rebecca grace
    June 25, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Amy, I know what you mean about summer sewing. Here I was thinking that, when school was out, I would be stitching away in paradise but then the graduations, houseguests, kids’ summer day camps, etc. just eat away at the day. I think it’s the structure of having the kids in school that helps me to be more productive. I wish I could go to QuiltConn but California is too far and it’s not going to happen this time. But I wish you the best of luck with your classes and look forward to reading all about it here!

Amy Smart
      June 26, 2015 at 12:29 am

Thank you! And I hear you. I haven’t been before either because of distance. This one is closest to me and only 30 min from my sister! So I’m hoping I can spend a couple of days with her too. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with that summer balance!

June 25, 2015 at 9:54 pm

HI Amy: I registered for QuiltCon this morning. Hoping to pop in to meet you at some point during the week. I am so looking forward to it. I lost my sewing mojo right now due to packing up my sewing studio for an impending move. Huge fabric sale on Saturday to downsize my stash. Looks like lots of summer fun in your neck of the woods!

Amy Smart
      June 26, 2015 at 12:26 am

Moving is a total buzzkill, isn’t it? I hope things settle down and you Mojo returns soon! And I’ll look forward to meeting you at QuiltCon!

amy deason
    June 26, 2015 at 5:59 am

Love Love the cross blocks you have displayed. Curious about what fabric or ? you are using to hold your quilt blocks on the wall. I have room to do this and was wondering how they stay up on the wall. Enjoy your well deserved summer with your family. Absolutely love reading your blogs. Wish you would head east around Nashville to do a class! Hope to hear from you. Thanks

June 26, 2015 at 8:31 am

Love those swoon blocks! I’m determined to make one…someday. I’m so excited I got into your class at QuiltCon. I’m looking forward to learning lots of new stuff. See you then ๐Ÿ™‚

Amy Smart
      June 26, 2015 at 11:02 am

Hooray! I’m looking forward to it too!

June 26, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I’m with you on your summer crafting philosophy! It’s hard, though! ๐Ÿ™‚ Your WIPs are lovely, thank you for sharing!

June 26, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I love how you are using Alison Glass’s Handcrafted fabric! I have some that I’m trying to get up the courage to cut…yours is inspiring me to just do it. And I need to go back up to Battle Creek. It’s been too long, but your photo makes me want to return. Happy summer!

June 27, 2015 at 8:11 am

Thanks for the reminder about Quiltcon. I would love to go this year. Just need to make it would with the rest of the family. Who doesn’t like California in February though? โ˜บ

Amy Smart
      June 28, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Right?!?!?! California in February is the BEST! I hope you can make it. It would be fun to finally meet irl!

Donna Murdock
    June 27, 2015 at 10:08 am

I need to let you know, if you didn’t already, that Quilter’s Haven is having their very last day of business on June 30. It is very sad. I will miss these dear ladies and friends so very much! Joni has been thinking about this for a long time. It is simply too hard being out of town most of the time with her husband to keep her mind on the business.