Summer Vacation time

portland head lighthouse

This week we’ve been visiting our family on the east coast (New England). I’ve been looking forward to this trip for a L O N G time and it’s been heavenly. (Above is the Portland Head Lighthouse, at Cape Elizabeth, Maine.)  I’m fond of New England for multiple reasons. The biggest being it’s our time to visit family, it’s beautiful (duh), and it’s so different from where I’m from in Utah/the West. I can’t get enough.

summer hand sewing

I prepped lots of handwork to bring with me on the plane as well as time just sitting and staring at lakes, etc. Including my first cross-stitch project in 12 years. I was inspired by Camille’s version of this Pretty Little London cross-stitch and had to make my own.

Also, I am still working on those blue and red orange peel blocks that I started four years ago. It’s been my ongoing  summer/road-trip hand work for a long time. I’m building up a healthy stack, but need a few more. Maybe this will be the summer I finally get enough finished to make something with them.DSC04465

While here I also got to see this quilt again. I love seeing quilts I’ve given away in use and being enjoyed.

Bow Lake

In the mean time, we’re making the most of water, sunshine, and time to just hang out, be with family, and enjoy what summer is all about.IMG_9490
And now please excuse me while I idle away. See you on the other side.

Sigi G
    July 17, 2015 at 4:57 am

That looks wonderful!! Enjoy your holidays and this special family time.

July 17, 2015 at 5:34 am

Stop posting, you’re on vacation! Great idea to prep hand stuff before you left. Can’t wait to see both projects come together.

Jerusha Beckstead
    July 17, 2015 at 7:14 am

Amy, Orange Peel is one of my favorite patterns around. Do you have a good pattern that you are using?

July 17, 2015 at 7:29 am

Enjoy! I LOVE the picture with the cross stitch, Looks like a fun time for you!

July 17, 2015 at 7:32 am

Beautifil! (The blocks, the cross-stitch, the vacation, all of it. These pictures have such a nice mood to them, I now feel like I have a specific hole in my stash that needs to be filled!)

Judy Hudgins
    July 17, 2015 at 8:08 am

Enjoy your vacation. I saw your post on the Star Baby Quilt just in time for the quilt I needed to make. Here is my post on your design….http://knottyneedle.blogspot.com/2015/07/baby-quilt-accomplished.html

July 17, 2015 at 8:12 am

Your cross-stitch is off to a good start! I love the Satsuma Street Cross-stitch patterns. I’m working on the ‘Colorful Castle’ and I can’t wait to start ‘Garden Cat’.

July 17, 2015 at 10:11 am

Idle on! The water is a great place to be in the summer and it looks like you’ve picked a perfect spot.

July 17, 2015 at 4:46 pm

So beautiful, I always enjoy your pictures from vacations thank you for sharing them. I hope you have a great time with your family enjoy!! How can I get Camille’s version of the cross stitch pattern?

Beth T.
    July 18, 2015 at 12:17 am

It’s always wonderful to immerse yourself in a different world, isn’t it? I grew up in a beach town, and loved visiting my cousins who lived in Idaho. Now we live in the country in Oregon and are the “farm” destination for our California nieces and nephews. Such fun.

It looks like your London will have gentler colors than the original, am I right? I can’t wait to see it! I’m considering one for Christmas crafting and am still gathering ideas.

July 18, 2015 at 2:26 am

I love visiting Maine. My brother and s-i-l live in Kennebunk which isn’t too far from that lighthouse. Be sure and eat some lobster rolls and scallops while you’re there and some chowder.

Mmartha Cook
    July 18, 2015 at 5:53 am

Absolutely love the fabric colors you choose for that quilt. Breathtaking. It blended so well in that room. Looks like you had good weather in Maine. Weather has been unpredictable this summer.

Rosemary Bolton
    July 18, 2015 at 7:23 am

Have fun in Maine.
    I live on the East Coast…. down here in Northern Virginia about 35 west of the cesspool…
    I hope you enjoy your stay with family. It is always the best times in life

Amy Smart
      July 23, 2015 at 9:20 am

We love that part of the east coast too! My husband grew up in Frederick, Maryland and we used to visit my in-laws there before they moved back to NH. We love that area.

July 18, 2015 at 9:52 am

Your photo of the Cape is gorgeous…too many photos skip the nearby flowers!! Don’t forget to have some Maine steamed clams, clamcakes (not clam fritters from elsewhere), and the sweetest crabmeat ever! lobsters are the best!! Looks like you’ve got ideal waters-and family to make memories for years to come!! Enjoy!!

July 18, 2015 at 11:16 am

I love reading about your American travels and your photos of your home.. I live in Britain and have no hopes of visiting so it is lovely to see your country through you eyes. Thank you.

July 18, 2015 at 11:36 am

Welcome to Maine, Amy! Our official state motto is “Maine–The Way Life Should Be”. Just lean back and enjoy! I hope this rainy weekend gives you some really laid-back time! The sun will come out on Monday 🙂

Amy Smart
      July 23, 2015 at 9:19 am

I love it! I think that’s the best state motto I’ve ever heard!

Jean B
    July 18, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Hi Amy, I live nearby in Portland. I hope you enjoy your time near the sea coast and you get some inspiration for new creations after visiting our beautiful area. Have a great time

Amy Smart
      July 23, 2015 at 9:18 am

We’ve loved it! Portland is a favorite. My mother-in-law’s grandparents all emigrated to Portland from Italy and she visited both of her Grandma’s in Portland through her growing up years. A few years back we went to find both of their houses in Portland. I love it!

PEta - shequiLtsalot
    July 18, 2015 at 3:38 pm

New England looks beautiful, we’re going to have to put in on our list to visit. Enjoy summer 🙂

Amy Smart
      July 23, 2015 at 9:17 am

Thanks Peta. You should! It’s beautiful.

GeminiJen NZ
    July 18, 2015 at 6:29 pm

A beautiful setting for a holiday – enjoy your time-out!

kitty pearl
    July 20, 2015 at 3:23 am

You always have great travel photos, Amy. Maybe you would consider a post on your picture processing tricks?

Sandra b
    July 20, 2015 at 10:33 am

Looks so beautiful and relaxing!! Love lighthouses! Enjoy!!
    Love that nine patch quilt…the colors are stunning!
    Safe travels back home!!

July 20, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Lived in Maine 4 glorious years up near Orland. It was some of the best years of my life. I have lots of Lighthouse shots. Be sure and look for wild blueberries-yum!

Monica Kostak
    July 20, 2015 at 7:05 pm

What a lovely quilt. Vacation can be time to start or finish new projects while enjoying the present and relaxing. My husband and I are currently on vacation too-and with our busy schedules we find it hard to be beach bums for a week-but still do it. 🙂 We visited a light house last year on the coast of Florida, and walked the 150 stairs to the top! Enjoy your vacay!! 🙂

July 21, 2015 at 7:21 am

You have such a great eye for what looks good in pictures! Have a great time!