Black and White “Zipper Teeth” pillow tutorial

Zipper Teeth Pillow tutorial DIYI’m sharing a new project over as a guest contributor at the Olfa site.  You know me – I love short-cuts – and this is for a fun, graphic Zipper-Teeth block that I made into a deceptively quick throw pillow.

Olfa Splash project

For this project I used to contrasting colors to show off the simple graphic elements – but rather than solid black, I used Riley Blake’s Circle Dot in Charcoal paired with Riley Blake’s solid Clean White. I like how the subtle circle print gives the fabric a little more texture, while still providing great contrast.

Zipper Pillow Tutorial Amy Smart

You can find the full Zipper-Teeth tutorial here.

Designer Spotlight (1)

I was honored to be asked by Olfa because their products are some of my hands-down favorite. (And no, they didn’t pay me to say that.) Olfa rotary cutters are by far my favorite. If you don’t have an Olfa rotary cutter, do yourself a favor and just get one. I promise you will thank me later. (My personal favorite are the Splash cutters because they’re colorful, easy to change the blade, and relatively inexpensive for a tool you’re going to use for years.) I also LOVE their 5″ scissors – they’re so handy – and I also just discovered their frosted rulers this year. They don’t slip!

OLFA® | September Designer Spotlight Amy Smart

In addition to the project, the Olfa folks interviewed me as well. If you’ve ever wanted to know the dominant color in my stash, when I got started quilting, or other such exciting tidbits you’re dying to find out, you can read the interview here.

*Post contains affiliate links

September 1, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Fun pattern, thanks for sharing!

September 1, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Loved your interview! I did not know red was your dominant stash color, and you got me interested in the Olfa 5-inch scissors.

September 2, 2015 at 7:28 am

Red, oh yes! And yellow, mmm. But blue? I had one lonely piece of blue in my regular stash when I decided to make a QOV for my brother. Yikes. But I found a lovely bundle of blue batiks on my shelves, and the quilt turned out beautiful.

September 2, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Great interview, Amy! As a beginner, thanks so much for the line “no one will notice your mistakes like you do”! Love the zipper pillow block–and those cute little scissors. May just have to get a pair of those 🙂

September 13, 2015 at 9:29 pm

I guessed “red fabric” and I was right! I think I have been reading your blog too long. 🙂 Well, that and we both have remarkably similar taste in fabrics.

I liked your other post where you talk about being deliberate in your choices. I need to figure out what I really want and figure out what are the inessentials. Right now it just feels like there are too many essentials. 🙂 Thanks so much for your posts!

Amy Smart
      September 13, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Hah! That’s funny that you know me well! 🙂 I hear you – weeding through the essentials is equally tough. Good luck to you!

Melanie C
    October 6, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Such a great pattern/pillow!!! Love it!