What’s going on around here

Denyse Schmidt Hopscotch quilt-001

My Hopscotch quilt pattern, shot on location.

There has been a lot going on behind the scenes around here, some of it even includes sewing, but I don’t have any great finishes I can share. So instead, I will show you some of my works in progress. Lots going on at once. Hopefully next week I’ll have some finished goods to show off.

I cut out the green, blue, and gray squares from my stash-busting efforts and finally laid them out. I love where this quilt is going – especially that I just pulled fabrics from my stash and they’re getting used. Now I just need time to sew this one up! It’s been put on the back burner with a few urgent projects in the works.

Four Corners Simple Simon Fabric

In the mean time, I started cutting into Simple Simon’s new fabric line, Four Corners for Riley Blake. This is on it’s way to being a new baby quilt tutorial. Stay tuned for that one in a couple of weeks. (Fabric available now from Fabricworm.)

Sommer selvage

I’ve also been sewing with Sarah Jane’s newest collection, Sommer getting a few samples ready for quilt market in a couple of weeks. I feel lucky (eeek) to have been able to play with it a little. I can’t share quite yet, but check out Sarah Jane’s instagram account for some pretty sneak peeks. If you are a Sarah Jane fan, you will not be disappointed.  This collection also includes new swaddle fabric options. yummy.

I’ve got a new quilt cut out and have started piecing using Pat Bravo’s Artisan. This was one of my favorite collections at Quilt Market last spring – the colors are SO warm and rich. And now it’s in stores (including Pink Castle FabricsFat Quarter Shop, and Fabricworm.)  I can’t wait to see this one come together. I’ll keep sharing my progress along the way.

Also, did you know that dark (forest) green is coming back in style? Pat’s always so chic and on-trend, that now you have proof that it’s true. See? Everything makes a comeback. We did some family pictures a few weeks ago and as I went on the hunt for wardrobe options I cracked up as I walked into stores and saw the trendy colors are forest green, navy and burgundy. That reminds me of the plaid couches in my college apartment! I got married 18 years ago and my bridesmaids wore forest green. It guess that is proof that I’ve been married for a long time  – time enough for that color to go out and come back again!

Speaking of family pictures, here’s a behind the scene glimpse from the night we were taking them. We took them up in the near-by mountains. Don’t you love that back drop? And of course I made them pose with a quilt. These poor children are going to be scarred for life.Timpanogos

And speaking of mountains, the real reason I haven’t been getting as much done around here is that  I’ve been trying to get out to visit them at least once a week. We’ve had the most beautiful warm weather most of September and it’s even spilling into October.

Hike Michael

My husband has been an avid hiker for the past few years. I’ve started joining him more – it seemed like a good way to get some exercise and spend time with him – and now the bug has bit. I used to wonder why people enjoyed hiking. And now I get it. I totally get it.

hike Utah

The colors are starting to fade higher-up in the mountains – some trees are already bare – and I learned last week that I need to start bringing a hat and gloves, but I’m going to keep going before it starts to get cold and I wimp out. As a result, more un-finished projects, but I’m fine with that.

Finally, a huge THANK YOU for all of the very kind comments left on the last post. You have no idea how much they mean. I wish I had time to respond to each individually. So please know, you are all wonderful. Thank you. xoxo

October 9, 2015 at 5:16 am

That Hopscotch quilt is gorgeous but the rest of that photo – STUNNING!

October 9, 2015 at 5:32 am

Such gorgeous pictures! DO NOT GO INSIDE until winter. =)
    (from someone that also likes hiking)
    Can’t believe how well your stash quilt looks, you are inspiring me to go digging!

October 9, 2015 at 7:58 am

Can’t wait so see more progress of your projects and eventually the finished 🙂
    Such beautiful views, Love them!

October 9, 2015 at 8:58 am

It’s amazing how fabric choice can really change the look of a quilt! I purchased 3 patterns last night from your collection but went back and ordered Hopscotch this morning after reading this post! Could you please share the colour you selected for the grey background. It sets the colours off so nicely.

Shena B
    October 9, 2015 at 8:59 am

I’m very intrigued by Sarah Jane’s new collection, as I lover her work. I like how she doesn’t put out lines as frequently so I have time to get used to and love the current line before the next one is already announced.

And I’ve only been married 12 years, but I actually can’t remember what colour my bridesmaids wore. I think it was blue. Maybe. 🙂

Brianna Robertson
    October 9, 2015 at 6:27 pm

What beautiful photos, Amy! I’m hoping to go out and enjoy some fall weather this weekend 🙂

Nanette Ruffatto
    October 9, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Stunning pictures.
    Lovely quilting.
    It’s nice to see someone appreciate nature and reflect it in a quilting passion.

October 10, 2015 at 5:56 am

Your photos are stunning- the beautiful quilts and the backgrounds! Beautiful fall colors. We are still in summer here in Houston- 90 for the high today! Thanks for sharing!!

Cindy Pilkington
    October 10, 2015 at 7:14 am

Love all the outdoor photos and of course the quilts! Thanks for sharing!

October 10, 2015 at 7:30 am

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos with us! I always love seeing photos of different fabrics and of your work, but, it’s those landscapes that stay with me. Wow, is it ever gorgeous in your neck of the world!

October 10, 2015 at 7:52 am

Okay, it goes without saying that your quilts are beautiful. But these outdoor pictures? OMG!! I especially like the one with the sun’s rays shining at the top. That picture near took my breath away!

October 10, 2015 at 8:00 am

I love how you make me realize it doesnt have to be perfect to be beautiful. I always like how much your family is a part of your process as well.

Melanie C
    October 10, 2015 at 9:22 am

Such beautiful pictures! Quilts and kids are always the perfect combination!!!

October 10, 2015 at 10:42 am

WOW! I love all the photos of the mountains and surrounding areas! Beautiful! And all your fun, modern, fantastic fabrics!!! Swoon!!!!

October 10, 2015 at 11:13 am

Your photos are so beautiful. With color like that around you it’s no wonder you put together such knockout quilts.

October 10, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Wait! What! Forest green has been out of style?

October 10, 2015 at 11:26 pm

some wonderful scenery in your heck of the woods. Enjoy your hiking while the weather lasts.

Emma Jones
    October 11, 2015 at 6:15 am

Your hopscotch quilt is so beautiful and your photos are stunning. My wedding dress had a forest green velvet bodice (20 years ago) – it’s such a beautiful colour and deserves to be “in” again.

October 11, 2015 at 11:12 am

i love your self. you are terrific at sharing your heart. it is always uplifting to visit your blog. i voted for you to win and applaud your efforts. keep up your great work!!

October 11, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I’m working on getting motivated to try to make a quilt again. I don’t consider myself a quilter yet since I have only put a few of them together, and nothing bigger than a lap quilt (*almost* twin size). Your posts are inspiring!

Carole Williams
    October 11, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I love your quilting and your blog, but I must tell you to enjoy the outdoors while the weather allows it. One can always sew and quilt when the weather is bad, but you can only get outside when it is good. Taking care of yourself, enjoying your time with your husband doing what he likes, and encouraging the children to be outdoors is what makes a good wife and mother. So don”t feel guilty with unfinished projects right now. Family comes first!

Amy Smart
      October 13, 2015 at 11:42 am

Truth! We are having the most gorgeous fall. We’re trying to milk it for all we can. There’ll be plenty of time to sew in January. 😉

Lizzie in Sweden
    October 15, 2015 at 5:36 am

I’m standing outside, waiting for a ride in beautiful October sign, heading a ptreety good accordian player by the store fronts. It’s glorious, as are your quilt and mountain pictures. No, don’t go in until you have to!