Fireplace Mantle Redo in time for Christmas

Last year we started a redo of our kitchen and family room. While I love it all, I’m ecstatic that the fireplace mantle is finally done in time to decorate and hang those stockings. I thought it would be fun to share a little before and after.

Christmas family room makeover

When we moved into this house we left a lot of beautiful built-in book and TV shelves in our last house. Since you’re always a little house-poor right when you move in, I just bought the cheapest thing I could find at IKEA to house everything, planning to update after a year or later. Well, 6 years later, we finally did something. Part of the issue was that the space on our wall is a unique size because of two windows on either end. This meant that anything commercially made was either too wide or too small. We knew we had to do something custom. Which, in the end was good because I could get more storage to hide all the junk. It has been great!

fireplace before

Since we were in the process of doing that, we decided to redo the fire place too. Here’s the before shot. I have never loved this fireplace. The biggest issue being the window above the mantle. I’m not sure who thought that was a good idea, because it pretty much meant you couldn’t hang anything above the fireplace and made it awkward for decorating. Worse, the window faces west with no way to shade the light that hit you in the face on the opposite couch and was a magnifying glass for letting in heat during the summer.

Fireplace mantle redo after

Here is the after. Ta-Da! I always worried about the cost of trying to wall over the window, but after seeing lots of paneling above fireplace designs on Pinterest, we just paneled over it. Saved so much time and money! (A contractor suggested spray-painting the window before we covered it – now it looks like frosted glass from the outside. Easy.)

Christmas fireplace redo

I’ve always loved the clean lines of Craftsman style (even before it was all the rage) so I love the way this looks. I also spray-painted the brass fixtures on the fireplace unit to clean it up a little. It was a simple update. (And yes, I used the special heat-resistant spray paint.) I love how much cleaner it looks. Everything about it is just a joy to behold for me.

fireplace redo tile

We finally got the tile done – the final project – and it’s perfect. (I found the tile we ended up using at Home Depot.) I love the way it ties-in with the built-ins. For the first time in my life I feel like my house doesn’t look like a hodge-podge!

Christmas stockings

And everything got done just in time to hang up the stockings. Our stockings have a lot of sentimental value. My great-grandmother was a maker and knit my own mother’s stocking in this pattern over 65 years ago. After her death, my great-aunt carried on the tradition, making the stockings for everyone in the family as baby and wedding presents. (If you look carefully, mine is slightly different colors than the others.)

Handmade knit christmas stockings

I was the first to get married in my family and since that great-aunt had passed away, my mom decided to carry on the tradition and has knit stockings for the past 18 years as my siblings have got married and we’ve had babies. I love the sentimental, handmade sweetness these stockings represent.

handmade christmas stockings

I hope all is well as you finish your own Christmas/holiday preparations! We have snow this year and my kids are excited it’s going to be a white Christmas here. Best wishes with all that final, last minute prep!

before and after fireplace mantle redo

And one more Before and After shot, just for fun. 😉

December 23, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I love your new mantle but I love the story of your stockings even more. 🙂 I’m a knitter and went off to look for the pattern : I found it on ravelry in case you (or any of your readers) are curious!

Amy Smart
      December 23, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Oh my gosh. That is fantastic!! Thanks so much for finding and sharing. It’s funny because I’ve known other people with stockings made from the same pattern, but I didn’t know the history or that it was from 1945. Love it. Thank you!

Kathleen Gee
    December 23, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Such a dramatic difference! It looks so good, Amy! Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas.

Susan k
    December 23, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Your mantle is beautiful! A dramatic difference. I love that the tradition of knitted stockings in your family. What a treasure! And they get a perfect mantle to hang on.

December 23, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Love your fireplace – it’s “pin-worthy”! The knitted stockings are just precious and dear.

December 23, 2015 at 9:38 pm

What a dramatic change, and it looks fantastic! I can imagine that you are thrilled with the new look. Best wishes this holiday season to you and your family!

December 23, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Beautiful fireplace. Love the stockings – and such a rich tradition – beautiful.

BTW – is your fireplace a gas fireplace? Woodburning? We have a old wood burning one that looks similar to the design of your “before” pic and can’t decide what to do with it.

Merry Christmas 🙂

December 23, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Love your mantle and fireplace redo! Wow – what a change!! Tha ks also for the history behind the stockings. A lovely story and what a wonderful thing to have! Have a very Merry Christmas! Enjoy the snow! I am in Houston, TX and we were at 82 degrees today! Not normal and while I don’t necessarily wish for snow, it would be nice to wear a sweater or even a coat a Christmastime!!! Cheers!

Martha cook
    December 24, 2015 at 5:14 am

What an awesome transformation! Merry Christmas to be you and yours 🙂

Lindsey Brake
    December 24, 2015 at 5:15 am

Great job on the fireplace! Wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas and a peaceful and healthy New Year

Denise in PA
    December 24, 2015 at 6:51 am

Wow, everything looks fabulous! Covering the window certainly was the right thing to do! Merry Christmas!

Vicki in MN
    December 24, 2015 at 7:16 am

That fireplace is absolutely gorgeous! I think I should spray paint my brass on mine-not sure DH would go with that though. All the fixtures and doorknobs are brass, that was the ‘in’ thing when we built it. Merry Christmas!

Sigi G
    December 24, 2015 at 8:11 am

Oh Amy – what a difference. It is beautiful! The white all around just makes everything look so fresh and sparkly. Enjoy! Love the story of the Christmas Stockings. The older I get, the more precious the traditions of family become. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

December 24, 2015 at 10:23 am

Oh it looks beautiful! I hope your family has a Merry Christmas!

Nancy A
    December 24, 2015 at 10:33 am

Love your new fireplace and mantle. But then I am partial to the mission oak/craftsman style. I think it speaks of honesty with it’s clean lines. Your stockings look great hanging there, and I love the family story. I am now 73, and we have moved from Illinois to Alabama to be near our oldest daughter. I have been telling her the history of family things, but I realize I need to write it down for a record for the whole family.

Amy Smart
      December 26, 2015 at 11:14 am

Yes – such a good idea. Your family will treasure that record. And I’ve always loved the Craftsman style for it’s clean lines too.
      Thanks Nancy!

Karen K from Buffalo
    December 24, 2015 at 12:33 pm

My Mother had the exact same pattern & made stockings for all of us kids plus our spouses. She even went on to do all of my cousins! And I know what you mean about the difference in the original stockings. She made one for my husband when we got married in 1978 & his was huge because she couldn’t find the same yarn! Anyway, I took a double take on those stockings & had to write! Have a joyous & blessed Holiday Season!!

Amy Smart
      December 26, 2015 at 11:13 am

I love it! I’ve loved hearing how many people have those same stockings. It’s such a great, timeless pattern. Thank you for writing! Happy Holidays to you and yours too!

December 28, 2015 at 10:29 am

Amy, what an incredible change–I definitely prefer your After. But what I want to know is –how much fun did you have with a sledgehammer when you demolished all that stone and did you follow it up with a massage? 🙂

Lisa Youtzy
    August 23, 2016 at 10:52 am

Hi Amy – I just stumbled across your blog from Pinterest. I was looking a fireplaces and yours popped up. What is so crazy is this… we have the exact same Christmas stockings with similar stories! My grandmother made my siblings and I all stockings… they are all slightly different (mine has a plan white foot, while my siblings are striped). When I got married, my mom made one for my husband. When my first daughter was born, she made her one. But when my second daughter was born, she just couldn’t quiet do it any more, so I asked my friends mom to make my youngest daughter hers. Somewhere along there, we lost the pattern. It’s so sad to me! I was hoping to have one made (I don’t knit more than an scarf) for my girls husbands and if then their children! Anyway, my long post is this… do you happen to have the pattern? I’d gladly pay you for a copy if you do! One of my favorite things about the web is finding someone like you, with a beautiful fireplace (I’m jealous) and Christmas stockings that are so sentimental! My email address is lyoutzy@hotmail.com… if you feel like following up, I’d love it! I’d love to show you our stockings too! Thank you for your post… It made me so happy!