Two new Fig Tree quilts

Fig Tree Farmhouse Starcakes quilt

A couple of new quilts to share now that they have been gifted for Christmas. One of them is the finished Starcakes quilt I pieced this past fall.

Fig Tree quilt in the snow

I added borders using another print from the Farmhouse by Fig Tree (for Moda) fabric collection. I chose to make this for my mother-in-law after visiting their new home last summer. The colors in her house matched very well with the colors in this collection. (Farmhouse fabrics are still available from Bloomerie Fabrics, Fat Quarter Shop, and Shabby Fabrics.)

Fig Tree half-square triangles quilt

The quilting was done by Melissa at Sew Shabby Quilting. I had her do an all over floral pattern (I chose Emily) to give the quilt some texture and a homey-vintage feel.

The pattern for this quilt is from the Fat Quarter Shop and you can see the block demo in this YouTube video. It’s a really fun one to make. I ended up only making 12 blocks and adding a 4″ border all the way around to make it a 64″ x 82″ throw size quilt.

The best part was getting a text on Christmas morning of this quilt looking pretty in it’s new home.

Dandelion Girl Moda Fig Tree patchwork quilt

A second quilt for Christmas was this patchwork on point for my sister-in-law. Our family drew their names this year and I decided to give them a quilt (not a shocking surprise.) ย I always worry a little about choosing color schemes for quilts that I’m making for others. They have a beautiful new home and I wanted to do something with subtle colors to go with the serenity of their new house.

Dandelion Moda Fig Tree quilt

Then I remembered this patchwork work-in-progress that I’d started a few years ago. It’s made with another Fig Tree collection called Dandelion Girl that I have always totally loved because it reminds me so much of my grandmother. I decided this was the time to pull this one out and get it finished. I love the results.

Dandelion Girl quilt

Once again, the best part of giving this gift was seeing various kids wrapping up and snuggling in it over the holidays. ๐Ÿ™‚

Moda Fig Tree patchwork quilt

Dandelion Girl is probably nowhere to be found in stores (I’ve had it that long) but I have a few pieces + Charm packs left over if someone is looking for it. Email me.

IMG_9833

And as you can see, we have had a bunch of snow this year. More already than the past few winters put together. It was really pretty for Christmas – in fact Christmas morning we had the biggest single dump we’ve hadย since we’ve lived in our house (6 years). It made for a beautiful, magic Christmas morning. ย But now that the holidays are done, I have a feeling the charm and novelty are going to wear off fast…

I have a bunch more finishes from 2015 to share over the coming weeks that I haven’t been able to share previously. I’m excited to finally show them! Stay tuned!

Linking these quilts up to Finish It Up Friday.

A couple fun things:

SHINY-25_1024x1024

Bloomerie Fabrics is having 25% off their entire store with code NEWYEAR-25 at check out. So if you missed other end-of-year sales, now’s your chance. Just saying.

sewlebrities Southern Fabric club

Southern Fabric has started a monthly club with fat quarter bundles chosen by 12 different Designers. Spots are going fast – you can find out more about it here. January was my month to pick a bundle and here’s what I came up with. I’m kind of digging these colors right now. I just need time to do something with them! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jamie
    January 6, 2016 at 7:35 am

That starcakes quilt is beautiful! The border fabric you chose is one of my favorites.

Hilary
    January 6, 2016 at 10:09 am

Such pretty gifts!

liz n
    January 6, 2016 at 1:27 pm

I don’t think there’s a Fig Tree line I haven’t loved. I also love that nearly fabric works with so many other Fig Tree fabrics, no matter which collection they’re from.

liz n
      January 6, 2016 at 7:42 pm

*that nearly all the fabric works*

Derp.

Jane Thomas
    January 6, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I love the 2nd quilt. The colors are peaceful and the pattern is great. I know your SIL loves it.

Jen
    January 6, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Those look so beautiful — and I was just eyeing the new fig tree quilts collection out – strawberry fields revisited – talking myself into not getting any! However – I’m working on a fig tree quilts collection quilt and would totally take any scraps / charm packs off your hands if you wanted … feel free to email me at jeniferoramaATgmail.com and let me know your asking price! ๐Ÿ™‚ (That new collection can wait, then!)

Karen
    January 7, 2016 at 11:29 am

These are both so cozy looking. Lucky recipients!

Sandra B
    January 7, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Love both of these quilts….but I think my favorite would be the second one, just because the colors you used are ones I use a lot….thanks for sharing….looking forward to seeing more quilts!!

Brenda Ackerman
    January 7, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Absolutely beautiful quilts! Thank you for sharing them and have a wonderful creative day!

Diann Reeves
    January 7, 2016 at 6:02 pm

I love both of the quilts too! Happy New Year.

Tarnya from Quilting Focus
    January 8, 2016 at 12:26 am

That Starcakes quilt is stunning! You are photographed it beautifully. I guess it really stood out for me because the snow is so amazing. Here in New Zealand, it is summer and it is hot and humid. I felt ooler looking at your photos!

Buffy
    January 8, 2016 at 9:34 am

That Starcakes quilt is beee-u-tiful! I also love the use of the blacks…I am VERY apprehensive in using blacks in almost anything I make but I find lots of them that I like and do have in my stash…so this is also great inspiration.

Kay leighty
    January 10, 2016 at 8:45 am

I love the dandelion girl fabric if you still have any!!!!!
    Love your site too.
    Thanks
    Kay

Amy Smart
      January 11, 2016 at 2:02 pm

I’m afraid it’s gone already. But thanks for your interest!

Lucky
    January 10, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Your Farmhouse quilt is really lovely. After seeing your photos, I hear that fabric calling my name!