Happy Easter!

Pardon me if I get a little personal this post. Feel free to skip if you want – we’ll be back to quilts and all of that next time. This has been an emotional week. (I’m probably not the only one who’s felt this way!) I found out another dear friend has breast cancer (this is the fourth in the past 6 months), the toxic rancor of the US political scene hit close to home as our state held their presidential primary, and then of course the horrible terrorist attacks in Belgium and Baghdad. Blah. Just so discouraging and sad.mormon missionaries in Belgium

Among those who were severely injured in the Brussels blasts – but mercifully survived – were four Mormon missionaries. One was an American young man, Mason Wells, who grew up in our community. Another was a darling French girl (pictured right.) I suppose I feel an extra connection to them because I was a Mormon Missionary at their age as well. I’ve been following their stories (and many others) closely since the blast. So heart wrenching – and yet so inspiring to see the outpouring of love and support for all of the victims and their families worldwide. So many people and nationalities were affected.

One thing that touched me was the letter from this survivor to her unborn child. I was also deeply touched yesterday as I read that it was a young Muslim woman from Morocco who stayed with Mason Wells in the aftermath of the bomb and held his hand and talked with him until medical help arrived. Such a beautiful reminder to not categorize or stereotype people – that we are all brothers and sisters. What unites us is so much more wonderful and meaningful and real than what divides us. It’s sad that it sometimes takes tragedy to remind us of what matters most, but maybe that’s it’s purpose.

Tulips -001

I’m so grateful for all of you who visit this space and wish you a Happy Easter.  I love the hope of renewal and rebirth that Spring and Easter bring. Whatever your tradition or belief, I wish you peace and happiness in your own life and for those you love.

I find a lot of happiness and hope in Easter and in celebrating the life of Jesus Christ whose death and resurrection make it possible for all of us to live again with those we love. His mission was also to “heal the broken-hearted”, bring hope from despair, and to show us how to love – including those who do not love us in return. May we all do a little better in that cause.

Patricia Cash
    March 27, 2016 at 5:07 am

Happy Easter

LINDA D TOWNSEND
    March 27, 2016 at 5:44 am

I appreciate your sentiments, but Jesus came to this world in order to die for our sins so we can have eternal life. Yes, he wants us to love others, to heal the broken-hearted, and all of the other beatitudes, but He suffered a horrible death on the cross for our salvation. That was his mission.

Amy Smart
      March 27, 2016 at 9:32 am

Beautifully said. That was His greatest mission and I am so thankful!

Jamie
      March 27, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Yes, that is true, but she was simply stating the reason as to WHY he suffered such a horrible death. Because He came to pay our debt, to be our advocate to the Father, so that our lives don’t end at death, so we can all live again. What a beautiful, humbling message ❤️

BettyLou
    March 27, 2016 at 7:16 am

Thank you for putting into words what most of the country is feeling this Easter. May our blessed Lord guide through this turbulent times. Happy Easter to you and your family.

Little Quiltsong
    March 27, 2016 at 7:35 am

Thank you for sharing, Amy! Wishing you and your family a Blessed Easter!

Heatherk
    March 27, 2016 at 8:42 am

Beautifully expressed. I love seeing other aspects of my favorite bloggers and wish you a beautiful, peaceful Easter morning!

jackie
    March 27, 2016 at 8:46 am

thank-you for your sane thoughts and comments

Terry
    March 27, 2016 at 9:07 am

All so true. Some sad, some good. We must pray. Have a Happy Easter. Jesus is Lord

Karen Falvey
    March 27, 2016 at 11:25 am

Thanks Amy for your beautiful and inclusive message.

Karen Seitz
    March 27, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Happy Easter, Amy! Thanks for your thoughts on the trials of this specific week. Events worldwide and very close to home have generated sad and despairing thoughts in me, but today is Easter and the weather was spectacular here, both lifting my thoughts and spirits. Reading about and seeing the good that is out there around us helps bring things into perspective. Thanks for sharing some of those good things.

Amy Smart
      March 29, 2016 at 10:21 am

Thank you Karen. I can completely relate – I feel like I’m not sleeping well lately because of so many things I worry about. Thank goodness for hope in good things and good people like you.

Cathy
    March 27, 2016 at 11:07 pm

So sorry to hear about your friends. This has been sad times for us as we think about the people of Brussels and pray for them. However, as you said, Easter is a time for rejoicing in the Lord! My prayers go out to you and your friends.

Geraldine Van de Kleut
    March 28, 2016 at 5:29 am

Beautifully written. Thank you.

A fan
    March 28, 2016 at 6:07 am

Amy, thanks for the reminder to count our blessings and keep others in need in our prayers. Temporarily unable to walk right now, so missed my favorite season for flowers, music and fellowship at my church………

Amy Smart
      March 28, 2016 at 9:15 am

Oh I’m so sorry! Those are hard to miss. I hope you will be recovered and feeling better soon. xoxo

Sandra b
    March 28, 2016 at 8:34 am

Thank you Amy….beautiful message….

Emily K
    March 28, 2016 at 9:24 am

Thank you Amy. This was beautifully written and a needed reminder for me. In the last 6 months I’ve lost a cousin to breast cancer, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer, and a dear friend’s infant was diagnosed with lymphoma. Add to that the political atmosphere at this time and the tragedies right and left…and it makes you want to huddle up at home and just hold your family close. But we do need to remember there is good out there and we need to capture it and share it and let our love for others grow. And remember the importance of what the Savior did for all of us.

Amy Smart
      March 29, 2016 at 10:05 am

Oh, what a difficult time! I can totally relate to your desire to just huddle up at home! Sending love and peace to you and to those you love going through such hard things. xoxo

Tracy
    March 28, 2016 at 10:45 am

Very well said! While I am not religious, I respect your faith and your message of inclusion. We need more of that spirit in the world today!

Amy Smart
      March 29, 2016 at 10:05 am

Thank you Tracy – that means a lot!

Janet
    March 28, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Thank-you the world is a better place because of kind people like you !! The reminder to stop and give thanks is always a good thing !! Prayers and Thanks !!

Mary Ann
    March 28, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Thank you for the the very thoughtful post. I do believe so many more Americans believe in this message of tolerance and inclusion but it’s hard to remember given all the news we have been surrounded with lately. I hope you and all you hold dear had a wonderful holiday.

Amy Smart
      March 29, 2016 at 10:08 am

Thank you Mary Ann – I feel like the negative voices have been so overwhelming lately. I’m grateful for other voices of tolerance and encouragement and felt I couldn’t wish for others to do it, without doing it myself. Thank you for your kind words. xo

Lana
    March 28, 2016 at 2:14 pm

God bless you and your family dear girl…

AbbY
    March 29, 2016 at 4:03 am

What a great post.
    I really appreciate your inclusive and non judgmental view point.
    I pray for health, peace, clarity and happiness for you and for those around you.

At times like this it’s important to put more good into the world. It’s the only way to fight terror.

Amy Smart
      March 29, 2016 at 10:01 am

Thank you so much Abby. Sometimes I’m so worn out by all of the negativity that’s bouncing around out there. My new goal is to share as much positive as possible to counteract and for my own well-being!

Dondi Murdock
    March 29, 2016 at 11:45 am

Your comments were so appropriate for your troubled heart and for our troubled times. I have a good read for you! It is called Safe Passage by Ida Cook. It is true. The worst part of the book is that it ended. I checked it out at my library but I am thinking I maybe should get my own copy because it was that good. Ida and her sisters were born before WWI and became opera fans which becomes very important later in the book as they save 29 complete families just before WWII breaks out. These were just two ordinary women from an unimportant family who became lifesavers for well over a hundred people. Many other people helped them in their cause who crossed religious, racial, and cultural boundaries. During the nightly air raids in London, no one had any disputes at all because surviving one more night brought out everyone’s best kindness.

I really think you would love this book! Maybe it will help heal your heart right now as you see how these noble women did so much in such a horrible time.

Lara B.
    March 29, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Your message, despite all the sadness and tragedy and hate in this world, is so uplifting Amy. May we all remeber to love one another. thank you for sharing that soul stirring video!

Valarie
    March 29, 2016 at 6:59 pm

A touching and thoughtful post, thank you for sharing with us.

Kathy Railsback
    April 3, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Thank you for sharing your thought, prayers, and testimony of Jesus Christ. Beautiful post.