Green and Blue Patchwork Quilt and a photobomber

Spring patchwork quiltI made this quilt for my youngest son this past winter – he proudly helped pick the colors, chose cuddle fabric for the backing and now the quit lives on his bed. This quilt has been finished for a while now, but I never got around to taking pictures – in part because he didn’t want to spare the quilt from his bed, and because…life.

Blossoms quiltWhen we got home from our trip last week I felt like the whole county was suddenly in bloom and so I decided to take advantage of a lovely night to get some pictures. (It’s also so much more convenient that it’s light later! Not to mention warmer. I’ll take it.)

Blue and Green patchwork quilt

This quilt is just simple patchwork. After my son chose the colors, I went through all the greens and blues (plus some grays because I needed some lights) in my stash and cut off a 6″ row, and then cut them all down to 6″ squares. SO EASY + a great way to bust through a lot of fabric + I love the end result = a most satisfying finish. Not to mention guilt assuaging – no new fabric was purchased for this quilt. 😉

We used an aqua Cuddle fabric for the backing. The quilting was done by Melissa from Sew Shabby Quilting. I had her quilt it a little more loosely and that, plus the soft backing, makes this a cuddly quilt.

Patchwork Quilt by Amy Smart

Plus, there’s something that’s just so simply effective about patchwork squares. Never gets old for me. And it’s such an easy way to show off a lot of great fabric.

horse with a quilt

And here is the best part of this photo experience – this fancy photobomber showing his stuff. I’ve never had this happen. I was trying out a new location/fence when this guy decided to come pose. The best/funniest part was that he acted just like a teenage boy, came around twice and I caught it all on film. I laughed really hard when I went back through my pictures. Here’s the progression:horse 1

So there I was, minding my own business taking pictures of my quilt with the horse way off in the distance.

Horse and quilt 2

Then, he nonchalantly strolls closer to see what’s going on…

horse 3

And then closer… “Hey, is that a camera?”

horse 4

“Hey pay attention to me…”

horse with a quilt

And full-on flexes for the camera!

Horse 5

“Okay, now I feel stupid, so I’m going to run away awkwardly….”

Horse 6

Stealthily comes back, still wanting some attention, but trying to figure out how to reassert himself after running away…

horse 7

And then does the awkward-teenager thing waiting to the side, but still wanting to be part of the action… it was so funny when it happened, but I laughed even harder going back through the pictures.

Okay, maybe you had to be there… Or have a tweenage/teenage boy…

Blossoms

So with that, Happy Sunday from me and my new, favorite photobomber.

Lynda Kling
    April 17, 2016 at 4:38 am

You should have brought him a carrot. That is the correct thing to do if you use his fence…..

Shasta
    April 17, 2016 at 4:53 am

It is a beautiful quilt – your son chose great colors. I like simple squares too – why not let the fabric do all the work – well not ALL the work, but you know what I mean!

Patricia
    April 17, 2016 at 5:50 am

Blue and green so pretty. Love the horse pictures and story.

Mic T
    April 17, 2016 at 6:09 am

Love your photo bomber!!! The play-by-play photos are great!!! Thanks for sharing. The quilt is great too!!

Kathyinmn
    April 17, 2016 at 6:40 am

Love it! Made me laugh too! Quilt is gorgeous too!

Linda Rattie
    April 17, 2016 at 6:41 am

Beautiful quilt. Love the colours. Tell your son he has a “good eye”. Isn’t it great when they LOVE the quilt?
    Love your photobomber as well. So funny 🙂

Lauren
    April 17, 2016 at 7:11 am

Nice photo shoot of a lovely quilt. I’m willing to bet that horse is at least 1/2 Arabian, They are one of the most inquisitive breeds. 🙂

Amy Smart
      April 17, 2016 at 3:36 pm

No way! That’s so interesting! I was so surprised at how much personality came through from that horse in just that brief encounter.

Pat S
    April 17, 2016 at 7:50 am

Love the quilt and your pretty photobomber. Don’t you wish you’d had a carrot in your pocket?

Kar
    April 17, 2016 at 8:12 am

The quilt and the photo bomber are awesome! I can see why your son didn’t want to give up the quilt for any bit of time. Patchwork is perfect!

Kathy E.
    April 17, 2016 at 8:12 am

Too funny! Now what are the chances that you’d choose a spot where a gorgeous horse is on the loose? Lucky you, and lucky son for such a beautiful quilt. Maybe Mr./Ms. Horse had never seen such loveliness!

Teresa Stanulis
    April 17, 2016 at 8:37 am

Love the quilt and LOVE the photo bomber!! What a great photo shoot!

Debbie
    April 17, 2016 at 11:26 am

The quilt is beautiful. I love the colors. Great way to showcase the fabrics.

Karen
    April 17, 2016 at 11:51 am

Wonderful quilt. Question: I just got back my first quilt backed with cuddle. (Star Wars throw size for my oldest grandson who’ll be 10 next month.) I usually do narrow double fold bindings, strip width 2-1/4″ and approx 5/16th seam. I’m thinking I’ll do wider binding with the cuddle backing. Any suggestions? I was going to just do 2-1/2″ quilting cotton for the binding and 1/4″ seam but would 3″ and wider seam allowance be better?

Amy Smart
      April 17, 2016 at 3:28 pm

I used 2 1/2″ on this one and it worked well – as in it was wide enough to cover where it needed to. But you could go 3″ if you like the look of a wider binding.

Terry
    April 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I love the colors in the quilt, very pretty. Goofy horse, so silly, I love it!

Beth
    April 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm

That horse totally cracked me up! Big goofball. I love the quilt!

Phoebe Ingraham
    April 17, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Such a funny story of your photo shoot! Thanks for sharing the pictures and sharing the story! It’s always nice to add a good laugh to a day! And I love this quilt! Your son has good taste in fabric!

Karen Seitz
    April 17, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I think the horse wants his/her own quilt. Better get to work! 🙂 Simple patchwork will be fine…

Nancy
    April 17, 2016 at 11:17 pm

The quilt looks so comfortable. It’s no wonder your son doesn’t want to take it off his bead. Your experience with the horse is too funny. I’m so glad you captured it on film and shared it with us. My chuckle for Sunday evening.

Richard (in Charlotte, NC)
    April 17, 2016 at 11:35 pm

There is nothing wrong with patchwork at all. Tell your son that he chose some really nice colors for his quilt. Guess you will have to use this new location for all of your quilt photos. Tell the horse that he is welcome anytime! LOL

Southern Gal
    April 18, 2016 at 4:50 am

I’m in love with the colors of this quilt!

Did you pet the horse? I’m terrified of horses so I would not dream getting up close to one. But this one seems so friendly!

Mabel
    April 18, 2016 at 5:13 am

I love this quilt! I’m in the process of making a quilt for my grandougther and I think is going to be like yours… You always inspire me. I love horses ! Is a beautiful animal🐴

Terry
    April 18, 2016 at 5:15 am

What a great photo shoot – the horse wanted to be part of it…. and no wonder with such a cute quilt. Love the colors.
    Quick question Amy, do you use batting when you back with a cuddle fabric? I did with my last quilt but it seemed heavy.

Paige
    April 18, 2016 at 6:13 am

Beautiful quilt and photo shoot! Couldn’t have worked out better with the horse if planned!

Karen @runsewfun
    April 18, 2016 at 6:52 am

Beautiful quilt and horse! This reminds me that when I first started photographing quilts my dog would be outside with me. I never realized until back inside and going through the photos but she would appear in EVERY one! She was much smaller and sneakier about it. She’s gone now and I treasure those photos. Thanks for the reminder.

Mary
    April 18, 2016 at 7:01 am

There is something so pleasant about simple patchwork and those fabrics and colors are beautiful. Love your teenage boy comparison.

Ginger
    April 18, 2016 at 8:39 am

Beautiful Colors. I love the contrasting backing. Horses are very nosy. I am sure he was checking out the quilt.

Edith
    April 18, 2016 at 9:58 am

Lovely quilt! With the Cuddle fabric backing, what kind of batting did you use?

Amy Smart
      April 18, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I was worried about it being really heavy with the Cuddle fabric backing so we used a very light-weight batting. It’s still a little heavier than my other quilts, but works for his bed.

Rowena
    April 18, 2016 at 10:35 am

Love the quilt and the unexpected visitor. I wondered if you placed the squares randomly or whether you arranged them.
    Thanks.

Amy Smart
      April 18, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I laid out the entire quilt before I sewed the squares together. I wanted to get a balance of colors and prints.

Kathleen
    April 18, 2016 at 11:00 am

Oh those pictures are spectacular!! What a photo opp!!! you should collage those and frame it and hang it in your son’s room.
    Oh, and the quilt is beautiful too, but sorry, the horse really stole the show :o)

Lara B.
    April 18, 2016 at 11:44 am

Its a beautifully simple quilt Amy and the colors of the fabrics look wonderful together!
    You didn’t just have to be there – your teenage horse photobombing photos are a riot! The way you described what is going on in each photo makes it even funnier.

Rosemary Bolton
    April 18, 2016 at 11:48 am

I love these pictures. Horses are so wonderful.
    This one, I think you have got him right. What a great model.
    Your quilt of course is superb. I love the greens and the gray.
    so nice. Very inspiring for me too.
    Give the horsie a smooch

Dondi Murdock
    April 18, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I have always loved blue and green together, even when my bossy big sister said kelly green and royal blue don’t go together. I always thought they were meant to be best friends although I was only 10 at the time. I have never changed my mind about that. Your set would convince my sister is it true!

Debbie
    April 19, 2016 at 7:30 am

oh that’s so funny! But you came away with some great shots!

Susan Lambrix
    April 19, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Patchwork and cuddle. What more could anyone ask. Every single time I look at quilts I am drawn to simple patchwork. Great photo shoot!

Mary
    April 20, 2016 at 10:15 am

Great shots. Love the addition of the photo boomer!!!

Debi Hepworth
    April 27, 2016 at 10:42 pm

That quilt was begging to be near a horse! It is so beautiful….I love how it is “perfectly random”. Could you draw out a fabric template/pattern?
    I would love to make one line this for my kids. You can’t buy quilts like homemade. I treasure the quilts my mom made me