Scrap Basket Quilt – Scraps Made Simple

Scrap Quilt by Amy SmartWho out there hasΒ more scraps than they know what to do with? Well, I’ve got good news for you. That Patchwork Place just released the new book Scraps Made Simple: 15 Sensationally Scrappy Quilts from Precuts. I’m excited to finally share the project I created for this book, the Scrap Basket Quilt.

Amy Smart Scrap Basket Quilt

I designed this quilt to be perfect for not only scraps, but 2 1/2″ x 42″ precut (aka Jelly Roll) strips. I used fabric from a variety of Moda designers including Bonnie & Camille, American Jane and Sweetwater. Don’t they all play together nicely? For the background I used Moda’s pre-cut white stripsΒ (color 9900-98) as well. This means hardly any cutting and the blocks come together quick!

My best tip for working with a variety of scraps is to have one unifying background color that’s either solid or not overwhelmingly busy. This will both: show off all of the scraps and tie them together. White is a great background (probably my most used) but I’m also trying to branch out and use darker colors, wovens, etc. to give my quilts new looks.

Scrap Basket Quilt - Moda scraps book
Moda-All-Stars-Scraps-Made-Simple

Scraps Made Simple has 15 awesome patterns included in the book by such designers as Sherri McConnell, Jenny Doan, Amy Ellis, Lissa Alexander, Corey Yoder, and Carrie Nelson.

Scraps Made Simple Quilts

Here’s a sample of some of the other projects included in the book. Check out That Patchwork Place for more pictures and details.

Amy Smart Scrap Basket quilt

I have a handful of signed copies of Scraps Made Simple in my shop! It is also available now in your favorite local quilt shop. If you live far away from a shop it is also available online and in ebook format from Amazon or That Patchwork Place.

use-scraps

If you’re looking for ways to sort and store your scraps more efficiently, this post offers some ideas that have worked for me!

*This post contains affiliate links

Patricia Cash
    June 1, 2016 at 7:58 am

Scrap basket quilt looks great, when I get the book it will be the first one I make.

Marjorie Stevens
    June 1, 2016 at 8:34 am

Your quilt is my favorite in the whole book!

Kristi
    June 1, 2016 at 9:17 am

I love your quilt! As you said, the different fabrics work well together. This book is a definite “must have” for those of us who are trying to use up our stashes.

Kelly O.
    June 1, 2016 at 2:34 pm

That quilt is amazing! I rarely use white but your quilt has me thinking it a lovely idea!

Karen Seitz
    June 1, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Your quilt is great, as usual. I will definitely be checking out this book since it features so many of my favorite designers!

AnnieO
    June 1, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Love your quilt! Red binding always appeals too. Congrats on the book!

Karen M
    June 2, 2016 at 6:32 am

I think I have enough scraps for every quilt in this book— can’t wait, they all look beautiful!

Mary
    June 2, 2016 at 7:57 am

Amy, you have done it again…your quilt is gorgeous!

Sandra B
    June 2, 2016 at 10:45 am

Love this quilt!

Lauren Terry
    June 2, 2016 at 2:03 pm

It’s beautiful Amy, I love this one!

Janice Holton
    June 2, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Hi Amy, I love your quilt. And I never noticed it until you mentioned it how many designs nowadays do use white backgrounds! It really makes the colors pop. I really do like that style. I have a question for you though. I need to make a quilt for a young man and since I know this quilt will get a LOT of use and probably not be washed that often (ugh) do you know of a quilt blogger out there that uses lots of darker backgrounds and colors?

Quick quilts made with Pre-cuts
    November 23, 2016 at 2:20 pm

[…] the mountains. It was SO wonderful. (I love escaping the heat to the mountains this time of year.)Β Once again I just happened to bring a quilt with me for a quick picture. My family is no longer surprised when […]

50+ Gifts to Buy or Make for Quilters
    November 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm

[…] Scraps Made Simple by the Moda All-Stars and friends. This book has such a great variety of styles and types of quilts, all designed for using up your scraps. The concept and execution are great. (I contributed a quilt to this book – you can see my quilt and more pictures of other projects in the book here.) […]