Fun new things + an announcement!

horsetail-falls-quilt-block

For those of you sewing along in the Summer Sampler series, my block, Horsetail Falls, was emailed out this morning. Here is my version of that block. This block uses a lot of Flying Geese units – which you can see demo’ed in this Flying Geese Tutorial.

summer-sampler-rectange-logo

You can find out more about the Summer Sampler series, see the other designers, etc. here.  You can also follow along with what others are doing in the Summer Sampler Facebook group.

summer-sampler-blocks-faith-jones

Here are the blocks Faith of Fresh Lemons Quilt has made this summer using the patterns from the weekly series. I LOVE her bright cheerful colors. Can’t wait to see all of the variations on this block. Check out Faith, Lee, and Katie to see theirs! There are some inspiring collections of blocks in a variety of colors and prints by lots of others in the Summer Sampler Facebook group.

natsewmonthsharing900

In other news, did you know that September is National Sewing Month. (One more reason that September is my favorite month!) To celebrate, Baby Lock is hosting a sweepstakes where they are giving away a Rachel sewing machine – perfect for getting started.  (Giveaway open through Sept 30.) There are also some great learning-to-sew resources available including video tutorials.

babylock-crescendo

I am currently sewing on a BabyLock Crescendo and I can’t say enough good things about it. If you are looking to upgrade to a higher-end machine, I highly recommend it. (I was waiting until I had a nice, tidy workspace to snap a picture, but the way things are going, that’s not going to be any time soon. So here’s a nice real-life shot for you.)

img_2232

One last fun thing to share. (If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, chances are you’ve already seen this.) I have one more fun thing to share: I will be releasing my first fabric collection this coming Spring with Penny Rose Fabrics ( a division of Riley Blake Designs). It all feels a little surreal still – and way far away – but since the storyboards are currently with the fabric reps, I guess it’s official and time to let the cat out of the bag. The collection is called Gingham Girls and it’s based on a part of my childhood. I’ll be sharing more details and previews as it get’s closer next spring. But there ya’ go.

thimbleanna
    September 19, 2016 at 6:49 am

Congratulations Amy! I’ll be looking forward to seeing your new line at market — hopefully you too! ;-D

Summer Sampler 2016 ~ Week 19 ~ Fresh Lemons Modern Quilts
    September 19, 2016 at 6:56 am

[…] marks Week 19 of the Summer Sampler 2016 quilt along. This week’s block, Horsetail Falls by Amy Smart of Diary of a Quilter, draws on your hourglass and flying geese skills that you’ve perfected over the last few […]

Margaret
    September 19, 2016 at 7:11 am

Congrats on your fabric line, Amy. I imagine you are just tickled, and I am very happy for you. I can’t wait to see it, so I look forward to seeing previews on your blog.

tisha @ quiltytherapy
    September 19, 2016 at 7:39 am

Congrats on your fabric line. Can’t wait to see it.

Rebecca Grace
    September 19, 2016 at 8:14 am

Amy, I don’t trust sewing bloggers who have tidy sewing rooms. There is something deceitful about that, like decaf coffee or nonalcoholic beer! Showing your creative workspace when you’re actively creating something proves that you’re legit, and keeps it real. No photoshopping or airbrushing! 🙂 And congrats on your new fabric line!!

So, you mentioned that you love your Babylock sewing machine. You don’t happen to have any experience with their sergers, do you? I’m trying to get into more garment sewing lately and have heard great things about Babylock sergers, but I just visited their web site and was overwhelmed by how many different serger models they offer. I don’t even know where to begin!

Mary
    September 19, 2016 at 10:02 am

Congrats, Amy! As I ready someone else’s comment… it was only a matter of time…Can’t wait to see it and sew with it!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts
    September 19, 2016 at 10:32 am

Congrats on the new fabric line – love the name “Gingham Girls”!! I look forward to seeing the collection in its entirety.

Summer Daisy
    September 19, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Congrats on the new line ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Karen
    September 19, 2016 at 3:45 pm

A fabric line! How terrific! Hope you’re planning on a celebration and a good long nap after it’s released–Or right now if that works better 🙂

Karen Seitz
    September 19, 2016 at 5:56 pm

I saw the announcement of your fabric line in the Riley Blake newsletter — so exciting! Congratulations!

Lee
    September 19, 2016 at 6:45 pm

How exciting to have a fabric line! Congratulations!

Beth T.
    September 19, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Way to go, Amy! It couldn’t happen to a nicer quilter! And I know there was a lot of hard work behind it, too. I’ll be looking forward to more details as the months roll on.

Barbara McDonald
    September 19, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Saw the big news on Riley Blake’s FB page and newsletter – absolutely thrilled for you!! Can’t wait to see the line in person!!

Mara
    September 20, 2016 at 12:21 am

Congratulations on your soon to be new fabric line!

Patricia
    September 20, 2016 at 1:10 am

Congratulations on your new line! Did you know that when I first started quilting, your tutorials were and still are my “go – tos”? Your “real life” picture is amazing! Such pictures give me courage to share such shots on my own blog! Thank you for all your hard work and, again, congratulations on your success! 🙂

Mabel
    September 20, 2016 at 4:34 am

Congratulations on your new fabric line! Wish you all the best in the world 👏👏👏

Little Quiltsong
    September 20, 2016 at 5:25 am

This is exciting!! Congratulations, Amy! Looking forward to seeing your Gingham Girls Fabric – love the name already :)!

Cathy Melancon
    September 20, 2016 at 6:10 am

Congrats, Amy! I can’t wait to see Gingham Girls in person!! Just jumped out to the BabyLock site! Can I just say “jealous”?!!! Congrats again!!

Jamie
    September 20, 2016 at 6:22 am

That’s really awesome news! Just think how you started out working part-time in the quilt shop and now YOU are the designer of gorgeous fabric. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person! Congrats!!!!

CherylB
    September 20, 2016 at 6:25 am

Wow !! Congrats on your fabric!! Much deserved success to such a fine person.
    I don’t even really know you but feel your positiveness and good spirit in your blog

Sandra B
    September 20, 2016 at 9:44 am

Congratulations, Amy!! So exciting!! Looking forward to seeing the fabrics…with a name like Gingham Girls, I know I will love them!!

Lea
    September 20, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Penny Rose is gorgeous fabric!! Congratulations! I’m not usually one to get an entire collection for several reasons one being that I don’t usually like every single fabric in a collection so I would rather select what I like and mix & match with other fabrics. This one is one of the rare exceptions.

kitcat96
    September 20, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Congrats Amy!!! That’s sooooooooo exciting!!!

Rosemaryflower
    September 20, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I entered to win the machine 🙂

I am soooo excited about your new collection, Amy. This is just wonderful.
    I adore it so much!
    I love you summer sampler blocks. Love the colors

Free quilt Pattern download
    October 27, 2016 at 9:22 pm

[…] First of all, just for the eye candy – this little mini went to Market this week. Quilt Market in Houston, that is. I’m not going to be there this time but if you’re there keep an eye out for my debut fabric collection! […]

MS episode 103:: Amy Smart of Diary of a Quilter - Modern Sewciety